'Donkey Kong 64' Speed Runner Finds new Collectible 17 Years After the Games Release

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
Zita

'Donkey Kong 64' Speed Runner Finds new Collectible 17 Years After the Games Release

Postby Zita » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:45 pm

After 17 years a speed runner has found a new rainbow coin in Donkey Kong 64 hidden in a patch of grass in Fungi Forest, and that's just insane to me! So now there are no longer 976 coins in the game, now there are 977.

The coin lies hidden in a patch of grass entirely hidden, as it is contained within an entirely concealed dirt mound. It's entirely reachable without any sort of tool assist or glitching.

So there it has sat for the last 17 years, completely hidden, while Rare was laughing to themselves knowing that everything had not been discovered by the avid speedrunning community. Either that or they themselves had forgotten about its existence entirely.

The coin was discovered by speedrunner 'Isotarge' who encountered it.

He went on to confirm that the coin was, in fact, accessible on a normal playthrough although he had found it using a scripting tool.

Video: https://twitter.com/sera18171/status/82 ... wsrc%5Etfw

Sorry 100% completionists and speed runners, guess it's time to go for it all over again. As if the 101%-challange wasn't enough. I won't be joining in that venture, but I think it's definitely time to hook up the N64 again.
Website | deviantArt | FurAffinity | tumblr

Rasmusic

Re: 'Donkey Kong 64' Speed Runner Finds new Collectible 17 Years After the Games Release

Postby Rasmusic » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Wow, that's crazy! I wonder how we first discovered this now?
Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:
https://www.youtube.com/user/rasmusbek

Rueckkoppler

Re: 'Donkey Kong 64' Speed Runner Finds new Collectible 17 Years After the Games Release

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:01 pm

Alright, looks like I've got to boot up my virtual console again and go hit that hidden hill sometime! :mrgreen:

Gorjo

Postby Gorjo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:04 pm

976 seemed like a random number. Now I'm willing to bet there are actually 1000 coins out there with 23 still to find for the first time.

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:29 pm

Uh, I actually found this back in the day. Simply put, I heard that the walking sound was different, tried a few things and then somehow came to the point where I tried that super attack. Was rather disappointed that a coin was all I got.

Context: In DK64's manual Cranky talks about an additional level he designed. While the original English manual makes it rather clear that he's just referencing the old DK arcade, the German translation (I'm German) made it seem like there actually was a hidden level. Trying to find it, I searched every corner of the game, beat the DK arcade, got a rather high jetpack score, collected every banana (gold or not), and searched every square inch of the environments.

I suppose there are others who found this. Just noone who wrote about it online, which is far from surprising considering that quite a few people didn't even have internet back then.

Return to “Past Glories”