Diddy Kong Racing Esque game in the future?

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
soulstorm64

Diddy Kong Racing Esque game in the future?

Postby soulstorm64 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:27 pm

Since hearing about characters having their own game i was thinking, wouldn't it be awesome if they did a spin on a sequel with their characters from project ukulele.

Hopefully they take that into consideration :)

Taylor

Re: Diddy Kong Racing Esque game in the future?

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:30 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21 - Quite a lot of kart racer requests in this thread. Obviously we're looking a bit too far ahead though -- Ukulele should remain the focus for now. I think a DK Racer-type game would be the perfect choice for Playtonic's second game, filled up with all the main Playtonic characters that will eventually go on to star in their own games.
Taylonic Ltd.

Luma Party

Postby Luma Party » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:33 pm

Yeah with maybe 2 or 3 Project Ukulele characters (two main characters and one minor?) and some future Playtonic characters.
I'd bet it would be fun.

BlueTurtle

Postby BlueTurtle » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:40 pm

Take my money for this idea!!!!!

supergardie

Postby supergardie » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:46 pm

I love Diddy Kong Racing, so I would probably buy it if they do make another game like it one day.

Otoshigami

Postby Otoshigami » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:50 pm

THAT WOULD BE GREAT but we need to wait for 5 years for more playtonic GAMES to be made and then make a RACING games with some characters from their respective games. :D

SpongeTheSquid

Postby SpongeTheSquid » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:23 am

A racing game would be brilliant! I'd love to see these guys tackle the DKR format again, or maybe try to give us a game like Donkey Kong Racing/Sabreman Stampede. I thought that was a fantastic idea!

DeviWhite

Postby DeviWhite » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:26 am

I'd love to see this done after they had a hand full of fully established games! I expect this project to take off and be the great rebirth of wonderful games we all knew and loved.

Alph

Postby Alph » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:23 am

SpongeTheSquid wrote:maybe try to give us a game like Donkey Kong Racing/Sabreman Stampede.

That would be awesome! It would finally give us some closure after all these years, since that's the biggest Rare game we never got.

SpongeTheSquid

Postby SpongeTheSquid » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:44 am

Alph wrote:
SpongeTheSquid wrote:maybe try to give us a game like Donkey Kong Racing/Sabreman Stampede.

That would be awesome! It would finally give us some closure after all these years, since that's the biggest Rare game we never got.

Exactly. I think it would be the perfect game for Playtonic to tackle next. They could fill the roster up with characters for future games too ala Diddy Kong Racing.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:18 am

Otoshigami wrote:THAT WOULD BE GREAT but we need to wait for 5 years for more playtonic GAMES to be made and then make a RACING games with some characters from their respective games. :D

DeviWhite wrote:I'd love to see this done after they had a hand full of fully established games! I expect this project to take off and be the great rebirth of wonderful games we all knew and loved.

I don't think this is necessary. Diddy Kong Racing was released with mostly unknown characters; even Banjo featured as a racer before his game.

I love the kart racing genre. I think Playtonic could make an exceptionally fun one that could possibly include a little bit more of an 'adventure' element than just a pure Mario Kart racing clone. The priority would be making a fun game -- character selection isn't everything.

Besides, we will have seen a good number of the characters in Project Ukulele.
Taylonic Ltd.

Prof__Yogert

Postby Prof__Yogert » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:41 am

[quote="Taylor"
I love the kart racing genre. I think Playtonic could make an exceptionally fun one that could possibly include a little bit more of an 'adventure' element than just a pure Mario Kart racing clone. The priority would be making a fun game -- character selection isn't everything.

Besides, we will have seen a good number of the characters in Project Ukulele.[/quote]
i wouldnt mind seeing a kart racer, but honestly i wasnt to into dkr, i was more of a crash racing kinda guy. i mean im not the biggest fan of racers but i would love to see this, and its a good way of introducing new characters in the ukuverse (corny i know but i couldnt resist)
I already know the ending it's The part that makes your face implode I don't know what makes your face implode But that's the way the movie ends

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:52 pm

I can see this happening for sure - once a couple of protagonists are established, this will be a great way to introduce new ones. 8-)

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm

especially if they keep it as good & fun as the original DKR because DKRDS was no where near as fun & there vehicle customization was awful/broke the game heck even the TT races in that game where WAY easyer :/ (i hope theres a ridiculously hard clock like character hopefully a grandfather clock that you have to unlock buy doing really REALLY hard timetrials!) :mrgreen:

davsav93

A Diddy Kong Racing Spritual Successor?

Postby davsav93 » Sat May 02, 2015 4:42 am

Obviously it should be one project at a time, however...

Given the success of the Kickstarter and already reaching over $1 million within 24 hours for Yooka-Laylee, (after this game is made and released) would anyone else be interested in Yooka-Laylee and other potential NPC's being made in a spiritual successor to Diddy Kong Racing?

Please share your thoughts :mrgreen:

Phasor

Re: A Diddy Kong Racing Spritual Successor?

Postby Phasor » Sat May 02, 2015 6:18 am

I was thinking about this too, when I heard they wanted to use the other characters in Yooka Laylee to spawn their own games in the future in just reminded me of Diddy Kong Racing introducing Banjo and Conker. I kinda would like to see this but I don't see any reason for it to be a kart racer seeing as its not as popular nor would it attract much attention being early days of Playtonic Games, however what they're doing with Yuuka Laylee is the same thing in a way and fits the bill far better in terms of reviving an almost dead genre whilst giving us a glimpse into the future projects. LONG LIVE PLAYTONIC GAMES!!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat May 02, 2015 6:31 am

I've never actually played Diddy Kong Racing, but I really want a kart racer to be the next game. I've spent so many hours on Mario Kart 8 recently; I love the genre.

Also I had an idea for a kart racing mini-game within Ukulele which could be interesting.
Taylonic Ltd.

davsav93

Postby davsav93 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:43 am

That's exactly what triggered my thought too - when they mentioned the other characters being used in other games and when Banjo and Conker debuted in Diddy Kong Racing. It wasn't so much the kart racing in itself in Diddy Kong Racing that I loved, it was the different worlds you could explore and using a hovercraft and plane which Mario Kart I don't recall doing (the last one I played was the Wii one, haven't played MK8).

Maybe Rare will beat Playtonic to it and have a crack at their own racing game including the likes of Banjo, Conker, Timber, Pixie, TT, Taj, Drumstick and my personal favourites: Bumper and Tiptup... although I figure that the Rare will more likely be working on a Banjo-Kazooie DLC pack on Project Spark as well as designing football shirts for kinect sports haha (开玩笑).

--- Apologies to the forum members for starting a thread (1) in the wrong location and (2) when this one was already created.

charlton_3393

Postby charlton_3393 » Sun May 03, 2015 7:02 am

As with many people here I thoroughly enjoyed Diddy Kong Racing and still do, in some cases I regard it as better than Mario Kart 64 as I love the concept of a Kart Racing Adventure Game. Every now and then I love pulling out the old console and having a few races with friends or even playing through the game entirely again, anyway I just wanted to say it is great to see so many other people that have an interest starting a successor to DKR with brand new characters and brand new worlds (and even some flashback Easter Eggs along the way?)

For a while I really wanted to create a HD remake of DKR with online multiplayer and beautiful environments and inventive new ways to play like VR! But this seems like an even better option, creating new characters to love for the kids of today, show them why those games we loved so much worked so well, who knows those characters could even get their own spin-off games one day. I know we have to remember it is still early days for this new franchise that these remarkable game creators have imagined up for us, but I do feel that it couldn't be in any greater hands... I guess you could say getting a team together like this that can create this kind of content is a very RARE thing ;)

davsav93

Postby davsav93 » Sun May 03, 2015 2:49 pm

ah-ha-ha! An excellent jeu de mots...

Indeed, a DKR spiritual successor would be awesome, maybe Playtonic and Nintendo could collaborate to include Diddy and Donkey Kong.

Return to “Past Glories”