I'm Playing Banjo-Kazooie...

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
DarkTone

Re: I'm Playing Banjo-Kazooie...

Postby DarkTone » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:53 pm

Scrubber wrote:
DarkTone wrote:I'm playing this for the first time on XBLA. Game is so much fun.

Frustration kicks in a lot for me but hopefully not for you.

What frustrated you? Be sure to check out banjo tooie aswel.

Trying to 100% it. Fun, but difficult for me. Maybe easy for others. About half way through Click Clock Woods as of posting this. Something tells me finding all the notes will take a while.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:52 am

Banjo-Kazooie is pretty easy and straight forward to 100% but maybe its cause I've done it a hundred times. Ask on here if you have any difficulty I've just completed it so its pretty fresh on the brain.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:53 am

Ever play a game where you were certain you did something, but clearly not, because it hasn't effected the game?

This has happened more in BK than other games in the last few years. Not that it's a bad thing. In fact, it helps me for future puzzles.

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:13 pm

notdog1996 wrote:What's the problem with the note system?

It was like the only difficulty in the game. Sure, it was annoying to die in Rusty Bucket Bay or Click Clock Wood, but you felt like you achieved something when you got them all.

The problem is that it's not a fair way to have difficulty. You see, there are hard games like Megaman, where losing a life means you'll have to face and master the challenges in the level again until you're good enough. This is a kind of difficulty I like because you're trying to improve every time, getting more used to the level design and such. But in Banjo-Kazooie, there's no real challenge in re-collecting notes whose locations you already know about. It's just an unnecessary penalty and a chore.

notdog1996

Postby notdog1996 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:47 pm

Unexpected wrote:The problem is that it's not a fair way to have difficulty. You see, there are hard games like Megaman, where losing a life means you'll have to face and master the challenges in the level again until you're good enough. This is a kind of difficulty I like because you're trying to improve every time, getting more used to the level design and such. But in Banjo-Kazooie, there's no real challenge in re-collecting notes whose locations you already know about. It's just an unnecessary penalty and a chore.

I don't really agree with that, seeing as you as you do have to improve yourself to get the notes in rusty bucket bay, but fine.

Anyway, I would be fine with Tooie's note system in Ukulele.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:19 pm

Unexpected wrote:
notdog1996 wrote:What's the problem with the note system?

It was like the only difficulty in the game. Sure, it was annoying to die in Rusty Bucket Bay or Click Clock Wood, but you felt like you achieved something when you got them all.

The problem is that it's not a fair way to have difficulty. You see, there are hard games like Megaman, where losing a life means you'll have to face and master the challenges in the level again until you're good enough. This is a kind of difficulty I like because you're trying to improve every time, getting more used to the level design and such. But in Banjo-Kazooie, there's no real challenge in re-collecting notes whose locations you already know about. It's just an unnecessary penalty and a chore.

I disagree, if you found ways of collecting them in unsafe ways you can find ways of improving yourself so that you'll have more health later on in the level (use eggs on boxes in RBB, learn how to take out wall enemies effectively, etc). Not only that, but the game has a great self-nerfing mechanic in the form of events for jiggies. If you lose a few health on the frog horde in BGS or the wasps in CCW one run then die before collecting every note, the next you won't have to do those events and you'll have however much health you lost on them more to deal with the rest of the level.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:50 pm

Not to hijack the thread. But I just beat the game, 100%(?). So incredible.

Good luck anyone playing through.

I have 2 puzzle pieces left. Is that right?

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:37 pm

DarkTone wrote:Not to hijack the thread. But I just beat the game, 100%(?). So incredible.

Yup, you don't need absolutely every jiggy and note for the red health. If you have that there's nothing left for you to spend them on.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:47 pm

GrayMagicΓ wrote:
DarkTone wrote:Not to hijack the thread. But I just beat the game, 100%(?). So incredible.

Yup, you don't need absolutely every jiggy and note for the red health. If you have that there's nothing left for you to spend them on.

Cool.

But I wonder why there are 2 left. Seems strange...

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:23 pm

DarkTone wrote:
GrayMagicΓ wrote:

Cool.

But I wonder why there are 2 left. Seems strange...

So that there's a difference between having enough for the extra health and enough for the bonus ending.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:30 pm

Either way, fantastic journey.

Don't think I will play Tooie.

Xenoka

Postby Xenoka » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:58 am

DarkTone wrote:Either way, fantastic journey.

Why not? It's a fantastic game and imo betters kazooie in most aspects.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:32 am

Xenoka wrote:
DarkTone wrote:Either way, fantastic journey.

Why not? It's a fantastic game and imo betters kazooie in most aspects.

Trust me. After BK, Tooie would be next, but I don't have an N64. I also have no money on my XBLA account. BK used up the last of it, and besides 2 trophies, my 360 isn't getting used.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:14 pm

It really isn't expensive on xbla and it's very good value for money as it will take you ages to complete. Even if you DID have an n64 I wouldn't recommend that route, last time I looked a tooie cartridge is going for between £60-£100

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:48 am

Scrubber wrote:It really isn't expensive on xbla and it's very good value for money as it will take you ages to complete. Even if you DID have an n64 I wouldn't recommend that route, last time I looked a tooie cartridge is going for between £60-£100

The only downside with the XBLA version of Tooie would be that Stop'n'Swop won't work if he doesn't own Nuts & Bolts. (And fans know that there's some exciting secrets that were accessible on the N64 version right away, because they had to make up for the then-missing S'n'S feature).

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:35 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Scrubber wrote:It really isn't expensive on xbla and it's very good value for money as it will take you ages to complete. Even if you DID have an n64 I wouldn't recommend that route, last time I looked a tooie cartridge is going for between £60-£100

The only downside with the XBLA version of Tooie would be that Stop'n'Swop won't work if he doesn't own Nuts & Bolts. (And fans know that there's some exciting secrets that were accessible on the N64 version right away, because they had to make up for the then-missing S'n'S feature).

You need BK XBLA, not N&B. N&B + BT just gives you blueprints from a community competition in N&B.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:43 am

GrayMagicΓ wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:

You need BK XBLA, not N&B. N&B + BT just gives you blueprints from a community competition in N&B.

Oh really? Jirard from The Completionist said that you need N&B in order to enable the communication between BK & BT. Without, you won't be able to get the ice key, for example. So is he wrong?

Waverunner

Postby Waverunner » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:45 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:
GrayMagicΓ wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:

Oh really? Jirard from The Completionist said that you need N&B in order to enable the communication between BK & BT. Without, you won't be able to get the ice key, for example. So is he wrong?

Yeah he is, unless having the N&B demo is what activated it for me. Stop&Swoop just doesn't unlock N&B blueprints. The Ice Key in particular unlocks a nice suprise.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:07 pm

Waverunner wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:
GrayMagicΓ wrote:You need BK XBLA, not N&B. N&B + BT just gives you blueprints from a community competition in N&B.

Yeah he is, unless having the N&B demo is what activated it for me. Stop&Swoop just doesn't unlock N&B blueprints. The Ice Key in particular unlocks a nice suprise.

Okay that sounds neat! Especially since I really don't care about N&B (like almost everyone else)... And yes, the bonuses in Banjo-Tooie are all really great, especially the surprise with the Ice Key!

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:38 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Okay that sounds neat! Especially since I really don't care about N&B (like almost everyone else)... And yes, the bonuses in Banjo-Tooie are all really great, especially the surprise with the Ice Key!

I've actually seen more people that appreciate it as a really fun spinoff on this forum than people that say "BAH BANJO BURN IT WITH FIRE". The only real flaws with the game are the near-pointless ability to wander around worlds outside of missions and how inactive the multiplayer is now.

Return to “Past Glories”