Playtonic Business Plans (Game 002/Game 003)

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Taylor

Playtonic Business Plans (Game 002/Game 003)

Postby Taylor » Mon May 04, 2015 8:32 am

I'm daydreaming again. It seems that Playtonic are able to make a game in about 2 years, so this is roughly what I'd like to see them do as a company after the Kickstarter (approximate dates):

1. (2015): Expand the company to 15-20 people (or perhaps more, in preparation for the second step), all working on Yooka-Laylee.

2. (2016): During Yooka-Laylee's development, some of the team will probably become redundant as a lot of the assets will have already been made. Split the company into two teams and get them working on Game 002, slowly hiring more people for the second team as and when they are needed, whilst hiring replacements for the Yooka-Laylee team if necessary. Team members can also cross over whenever needed, but it's easier to think of them as separate teams. Keep this second project top-secret for now.

3. (Q1 2017*): Yooka-Laylee is released. The Yooka-Laylee team will then immediately begin Game 003 (maybe Yooka-Laylee 2), whilst the Game 002 team will already be a year into development and expecting a 2018 release. As each game takes about 2 years to make, Game 003 (Yooka-Laylee 2?) will be expecting a January 2019 release. Game 002 will be hinted at in Yooka-Laylee, then a few months later Playtonic can confirm that yes, they have been working on a new game for an entire year and everyone will get excited at how soon the second game will arrive.

From then on, each team will release a new game every 2 years, making Playtonic as a company release a new game once a year. Example:

2017: Yooka-Laylee
2018: Game 002 (Kart Racer?)
2019: Game 003 (Yooka-Laylee 2?)
2020: Game 004 (FPS? Side-scroller?)

*All dates are just estimates. I am aware Yooka-Laylee is aiming for an Oct. 2016 release.
Taylonic Ltd.

GrayMagicΓ

Re: Playtonic Business Plans (Game 002/Game 003)

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon May 04, 2015 8:40 am

Taylor wrote:2016: Yooka-Laylee
2017: Game 002 (Kart Racer?)
2018: Game 003 (Yooka-Laylee 2?)
2019: Game 004 (FPS? Side-scroller?)

2020: Game 005 (Yooka-Laylee 3?) Playtonic declared "gaming renaissance"
2021: Game 006 (Rhythm game?)Grant Kirkhope composes new national anthems across the world
2022: Game 007 (FPS sequel?) Chris Sutherland begins working on a "secret project"
2023: Game 008 (Simulation?) Earthquakes begin shaking the world; ignored as humanity is engrossed in Playtonic's masterpieces
2024: Playtonic literally reshapes the world, reforming it into a game in and of itself
2025: Playtonic ascendes to their extra-dimensional overlords, giving them another game to distribute to other universes they need to conquer
2026: Playtonic Multiverse distributes copies of Earth Adventure to various realities, winning over incomprehensible numbers of fans
2027: I go to bed
End of time: Rare announces Banjo-Threeie
A good time after that: the fandom stops complaining about N&B
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon May 04, 2015 2:02 pm

I kind of hope Game 002 is actually NAMED Game 002 and it's a stealth-action spy game 8-)

Also I don't think the second game should be a cart racer. A cart racing game is a sort of "coming together" of characters in the universe to all share in one game. It's hard to have a coming together when you're only invested in two main protagonists and a handful of extras. I think the cart game should be game 4 or 5 - that way you're heavily invested in or introduced to at least 5 or 6 main heroes and an assortment of extras.
Make the forum great again.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon May 04, 2015 3:25 pm

dotEXE wrote:Also I don't think the second game should be a cart racer. A cart racing game is a sort of "coming together" of characters in the universe to all share in one game. It's hard to have a coming together when you're only invested in two main protagonists and a handful of extras. I think the cart game should be game 4 or 5 - that way you're heavily invested in or introduced to at least 5 or 6 main heroes and an assortment of extras.

Oh really?
Taylonic Ltd.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon May 04, 2015 3:37 pm

Well, I suppose most of Diddy's characters were appearing for the first time. I guess I'd prefer the character selection to be like Mario Kart or Smash Bros though - people you've known before.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon May 04, 2015 3:59 pm

dotEXE wrote:Well, I suppose most of Diddy's characters were appearing for the first time. I guess I'd prefer the character selection to be like Mario Kart or Smash Bros though - people you've known before.

Most of the characters would be people you have met in Yooka-Laylee already; Playtonic said they're going to use a good portion of the characters over in all of their games. The characters won't have their own game yet, but they also won't be strangers. I see no problem... I only use a single character on Mario Kart anyway -- the rest are useless to me.
Taylonic Ltd.

TheMasterDS

Postby TheMasterDS » Thu May 07, 2015 4:00 am

At a certain point they should pick up a team 2 and a team 3. Start making Keith and Kenneth Country and Keith's Kart Racing. They could probably do it with non-kickstarter related venture capital since they do have some. Maybe you also put those up on Kickstarter, maybe you make a deal with a publisher. Hard to say.

I think that Playtonic should look to become as big as Double Fine.

Camouflage

Postby Camouflage » Mon May 11, 2015 4:10 am

All of the characters in Diddy Kong Racing (save Diddy himself) made their debut in that game. Plus, Playtonic has said that they will fill Yooka-Laylee with characters that can (and very well might) lead their own games.

I like Taylor's overall timeline. I'm not sure what type of game I'd like to see from them after Yooka-Laylee.

After the success of this game, they probably won't need a Kickstarter for the next game. If they do need additional funds, though, I'd rather it be through crowdsourcing than through a publisher.

This team thrived when it was a small team back in the '90s with little overhead. Let's keep it that way this time around, eh? ;)

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue May 12, 2015 9:03 pm

I really hope that the second game is a spiritual successor to Conker. :)

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue May 12, 2015 9:08 pm

You know, I've always thought of cart racing games as a "come together" sort of game, but the more I see it mentioned, yeah okay it could be a good way to introduce 6 to 10 new characters.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Tue May 12, 2015 9:35 pm

GrayMagicΓ wrote:2020: Game 005 (Yooka-Laylee 3?) Playtonic declared "gaming renaissance"
2021: Game 006 (Rhythm game?)Grant Kirkhope composes new national anthems across the world
2022: Game 007 (FPS sequel?) Chris Sutherland begins working on a "secret project"
2023: Game 008 (Simulation?) Earthquakes begin shaking the world; ignored as humanity is engrossed in Playtonic's masterpieces
2024: Playtonic literally reshapes the world, reforming it into a game in and of itself
2025: Playtonic ascendes to their extra-dimensional overlords, giving them another game to distribute to other universes they need to conquer
2026: Playtonic Multiverse distributes copies of Earth Adventure to various realities, winning over incomprehensible numbers of fans
2027: I go to bed
End of time: Rare announces Banjo-Threeie
A good time after that: the fandom stops complaining about N&B
Yessss
dotEXE wrote:I kind of hope Game 002 is actually NAMED Game 002 and it's a stealth-action spy game 8-)
Double yessss

I love you people. <3

Actually that kart thing isn't a bad idea! I was thinking the same as dotEXE initially but now I'm convinced. It would be a fun throwback to their roots. I'd even be okay if that Y-L DLC ends up being a mini-racer as a way to introduce more potential future title characters.

Taylor, your timeline sounds pretty much perfect. Way to go with bugging the tea you sent them. ;)
you kuh lady

Return to “Community Discussion”