A Pixel Artist Renounces Pixel Art

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
GrayMagicΓ

A Pixel Artist Renounces Pixel Art

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue May 12, 2015 9:19 pm

As someone interested in but ignorant about what makes art in games look good, I found this an interesting read.

http://www.dinofarmgames.com/a-pixel-ar ... pixel-art/
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Shawnsim

Re: A Pixel Artist Renounces Pixel Art

Postby Shawnsim » Wed May 13, 2015 3:41 am

GrayMagicΓ wrote:As someone interested in but ignorant about what makes art in games look good, I found this an interesting read.

http://www.dinofarmgames.com/a-pixel-ar ... pixel-art/

Wow. That a very good and informative read.
Great find.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Wed May 13, 2015 5:02 am

Fantastic read. I love pixel art, so its departure kind of makes me sad. Seems like it's a very niche audience who appreciate it, but it's true: pixels ARE last generation's HD. I never thought about it that way. Thanks for sharing.

(Edit: well, I just went and bought Auro.)
you kuh lady

Sacaldur

Postby Sacaldur » Wed May 13, 2015 9:03 am

The article is very good and contains many informations related to pixel art, e. g. pitfalls (different pixel sizes) and misconceptions (more colors/higher resolution != better). Absolutly worth a reading.

I'd like to know what you think about new games with a focus on pixel art, like Cross Code.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed May 13, 2015 4:33 pm

Wow, great article. I must say that I didn't really look at pixel art that way. Maybe the reason is partly because I owned a N64 as my first console. But whenever I played some older games on my emulator, I used these HQ filters, that kind of destroy the pixel art, while supposedly looking "cleaner". He explains pretty well why Super Mario World looks still great to this day, while the semi-realistic Diablo looks messy and very outdated.

By the way, that article reminds me of a nice series of videos that explain how to make "good" animations. Edmund Ree, designer of Mingella (from Banjo-Tooie) shared the first part on Twitter. Have a look!

https://twitter.com/mingellasfella/stat ... 5139363841

Sacaldur

Postby Sacaldur » Sat May 16, 2015 10:36 am

@Rückkoppler:
A very interesting video series, even though I already heard about one or another principle described (e. g. Squash and Stretch).
But in game developments, there are some problems if you want to apply these principles. If a character is controlled by the player, you have to minimize the anticipation, since it would add another delay between input and desired action. The staging is important, but the player has control over the camera in many games, so the developer only has full control over the staging during the cutscenes.
You should watch the Extra Credits video about the animtions of Punch Out. There you will find several of the principles in action as well. ;)

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Sat May 16, 2015 3:03 pm

Sacaldur wrote:I'd like to know what you think about new games with a focus on pixel art, like Cross Code.
Cross Code looks amazing! Looks like some super fluid, satisfying gameplay. I do really like the pixel art style. A lot of my teenage years were spent playing SNES titles on emulators since I couldn't afford many then-modern titles, also it was about all my computer could handle! Today I own and enjoy titles like Jamestown, Towerfall Ascension, FTL: Faster Than Light, Super Meat Boy, and To The Moon. I've got Sword & Sworcery on my wishlist, now Cross Code will have to go on there too!

There's just something really impressive about being able to create stunning imagery you can achieve through pixels that's more artful than a lot of 3D rendering, exactly as the OP article states. There are just some things you can only do in 2D. A part of me dies knowing that this form of art style is going by the wayside and isn't appreciated like I personally think it should, but I understand my opinion isn't shared by everyone, and the generation after me doesn't have the same sentimental attachment to it as I do. The same argument could be applied to how all animated film and shows used to be hand drawn when I was a kid, and pretty much all of it today is CGI.

You could bring this same argument into fan's debate over whether Y-L should have a N64 graphics option or not. Just like pixel art during the NES and SNES eras, the low-poly rendering of the mid 90's wasn't just developer's "stylistic choice," it was the "H-est D" of the time. While I like the fan art of low-poly versions of them for sentimental value, it just doesn't make sense that you would do this if you want to reach as large an audience as you can. (But any modders who can put together a decent 64-bit rendering would be a-okay in my book! ;))

Sacaldur wrote:You should watch the Extra Credits video about the animtions of Punch Out. There you will find several of the principles in action as well. ;)
*like* (or +1, or whatever)
you kuh lady

Return to “Community Discussion”