Other RARE splinter Dev teams

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Pgcrooner

Other RARE splinter Dev teams

Postby Pgcrooner » Tue May 19, 2015 4:24 am

So I'm creating this thread to talk about some of the other Former RARE devs who split off into new indie devs that are now creating their own games. I figured it might be a good way for some of the other forum goers who may not know about the other teams to look into them and see what they may be working on. I'll list the ones I know and if anybody knows other ones please post them here. Playtonic is not alone in their dreams of making the games they want, THEIR WAY. Here are some other companies =)

1. Gory Detail Limited- Headed by Chris Seavor the director behind Conker's Bad Fur Day and the voice of Conker himself created this company with other ex-RARE devs ( i believe some who worked on conker/killer instinct) and created Parachute Stan for ios and android. It's currently working on "The unlikely legend of Rusty pup" for the WiiU,3DS, ios, and android phones. http://www.gory-detail.com/

2. Fortune Fish- Founded by Tim Stamper last year as a mobile phone game company with his Son (presumably) Joe Stamper. Their First game is called "that bouncy thing" for ios, and android. http://www.fortunefish.co.uk/index.html

3.Nyamyam- Founded in 2010 by Phil Tossel who was a software engineer for diddy kong racing, starfox adventures and kameo and former Director of gameplay at rare, and his Co-Founder Jennifer Schiedereit who worked on the original kinect sports at RARE. They released a game last year called "Tengami" which is a cool popup story puzzle adventure game for ios and WiiU. http://nyamyam.com/

I was looking into the other companies like flippin pixels, Crytek UK, etc. But flippin pixels seems inactive with no website to visit and the last post on their twitter being in september 2013. Crytek UK (formally Free Radical Design of time splitters fame) seems to have been unofficially shut down with most of it's staff being transferred to deep silver dambustor studios. I thought about referencing Retro Studios as it has some ex-RARE devs on it's team but I don't really know how many. Anyway those are the three big one that are still active that I know of, please post more if you find any =)

Personally, aside from Yooka-Laylee I'm REALLY looking forward to Rusty Pup!

Scrubber

Re: Other RARE splinter Dev teams

Postby Scrubber » Tue May 19, 2015 7:24 am

So the majority have moved onto mobile phone gaming. How boring.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Tue May 19, 2015 11:02 am

Scrubber wrote:So the majority have moved onto mobile phone gaming. How boring.

Hey you gotta go where the money is at! =P
Sadley Mobile gaming is where you'll finds alot of new gamers, At least Gory Detail is working on a Wiiu/3DS game!
Who knows, the others may go back to console gaming

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue May 19, 2015 11:07 am

Pgcrooner wrote:

Sadley Mobile gaming is where you'll finds alot of new gamers, At least Gory Detail is working on a Wiiu/3DS game!

A pity really, but true.
Mobile gaming is all the rage, seeing as many big developers are moving in on this area (Konami, Nintendo, Square Enix)

Some suggest that the end of the console era and big games from huge teams is at hand.

I do hope not T_T
Stop picking your nose Image

Loggo

Postby Loggo » Tue May 19, 2015 1:46 pm

Makingames: Currently working on Raging Justice for PC and Xbox One

Preciousbluedot: They have a bunch of ex-Rare veterans, but it sadly looks like they're working in the financial sector right now.

Squarehead Studios: Star Drift for PC

Binary Panda Games: Gravity Hero for mobiles

Nosy Crow: Children's book apps

Retro Studios doesn't have any ex-Rare devs at the moment (remember that it is an American studio). Rhys Lewis used to work there, but he's currently living in Britain and working as an independent developer.

Edit: Some of Microsoft's other studios (343 Industries and Lift London in particular) have Rare veterans in them, but I doubt that they're enough to make a significant impact in terms of making them look like Rare games. It's weird to think that some of the people who previously worked on Viva Pinata, Banjo-Tooie and Donkey Kong 64 are currently working on Halo 5. :p
Last edited by Loggo on Tue May 19, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue May 19, 2015 3:04 pm

Pgcrooner wrote:

Hey you gotta go where the money is at!

Playtonic is doing pretty well in that regard. Granted there are more of them to work on a better project.
Kind of hoping a few of those other splinter teams get absorbed into Playtonic.
Make the forum great again.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Tue May 19, 2015 3:33 pm

dotEXE wrote:
Pgcrooner wrote:

Hey you gotta go where the money is at!

Playtonic is doing pretty well in that regard. Granted there are more of them to work on a better project.
Kind of hoping a few of those other splinter teams get absorbed into Playtonic.

At the very least, the inactive or disbanded ones. It looks like nyamyam's Tengami game was successful and they are on track to making their next game. Gory Detail seems to be doing fine as well. Don't know how fortune fish is doing, but I did enjoy playing that bouncy thing.

Playtonic is hoping to expand to a 15 person sized team, hopefully some of the less fortunate devs find their way to Playtonic.

Camouflage

Postby Camouflage » Tue May 19, 2015 11:15 pm

Pgcrooner wrote:Playtonic is hoping to expand to a 15 person sized team, hopefully some of the less fortunate devs find their way to Playtonic.

I'm pretty sure Playtonic said they will have two 15-person teams eventually.

It'd be my dream if they replicated old Rare. Two 15-person teams primarily composed of Rare veterans working in competition against each other to create the best games they can, and a golden masterpiece will release once every year. [/daydreaming]

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:38 pm

Most of these teams are based quite near each other, aren't they? As in, in and around the Midlands.

So if they wanted to cooperate, it wouldn't be too much of a hassle in theory.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:49 pm

There was another which folded after two years without releasing any games back in the late 90s: Eighth Wonder.

There's a hidden reference to it on the news item on Playtonic's website about the hiring of Dean Wilson, incidentally. :)

FelixofMars

Postby FelixofMars » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:57 pm

Martin Hollis started Zoonami but it doesn't exist anymore. I probably only know about it due to them being a Cambridge company.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:17 am

Oh! Tengami is pretty good.
Didn't know it was connected to Rare, other than by having David Wise as composer.
It's a great "before bed" title. Enjoy the aesthetics for a bit, then fall asleep with Wise' music kicking in your brain.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:27 pm

FelixofMars wrote:Martin Hollis started Zoonami but it doesn't exist anymore. I probably only know about it due to them being a Cambridge company.

What does Martin Hollis do now?
I remember Nintendo of America hired him to help develop the GameCube.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:30 am

Yavga wrote:
Pgcrooner wrote:

A pity really, but true.
Mobile gaming is all the rage, seeing as many big developers are moving in on this area (Konami, Nintendo, Square Enix)

Some suggest that the end of the console era and big games from huge teams is at hand.

I do hope not T_T

I would not be terribly upset. If the library of games stopped expanding faster than I could play them, then maybe one day I'll get around to all the titles I should play.
Aiaiaiiii, we're 8 months past the deadline for the game, and still no word on it coming out.

FelixofMars

Postby FelixofMars » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:18 pm

I am not too sure, I know he has done some presentations for various games related conferences. I was listening in to the one about how Goldeneye was developed.

NPChilla wrote:
FelixofMars wrote:Martin Hollis started Zoonami but it doesn't exist anymore. I probably only know about it due to them being a Cambridge company.

What does Martin Hollis do now?
I remember Nintendo of America hired him to help develop the GameCube.

Return to “Community Discussion”