Age of Fans?

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?

How old are you?

0-13
3%
14-17
3%
18-21
18%
22-25
42%
26-30
32%
30-39
No votes
40-49
3%
50+
No votes

Total votes: 38

John

Age of Fans?

Postby John » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:09 am

Hey Playtonic fans! I was wondering today whether the fans on this forums are mostly people who played n64 Rare games in their teenage years, pre-teen years, or are newer fans of older games. So post your age here is you're comfortable with that! Maybe also say when you got into Rare games (or when you became obsessed)

22 (first played Banjo Kazooie on Christmas 1998)
Rarewareusedtobegood

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Re: Age of fans?

Postby Viellain » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:16 am

John wrote:Hey Playtonic fans! I was wondering today whether the fans on this forums are mostly people who played n64 Rare games in their teenage years, pre-teen years, or are newer fans of older games. So post your age here is you're comfortable with that! Maybe also say when you got into Rare games (or when you became obsessed)

22 (first played Banjo Kazooie on Christmas 1998)

I played Banjo Kazooie when I was 6 or something. But I'm not going to tell my age. It's bad enough people are already putting their birthdays on their profile. Are they trying to get molested?

Taylor

Re: Age of Fans?

Postby Taylor » Thu May 14, 2015 8:16 pm

*Bumping this thread and creating a poll because I was curious*

I'm 20. I grew up playing my older brothers' and cousin's consoles (SNES, Dreamcast, N64, PS1 etc.) -- I was very young when I first played a Rare game. Too young to remember my exact age.

I never owned Banjo-Kazooie, but my cousin did. It was my favourite game as a kid and remains my favourite to this day. The first game I ever owned myself was Banjo-Tooie on my Pikachu edition N64, which I got for one of my birthdays, but again I'm not sure on the exact age.
Taylonic Ltd.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu May 14, 2015 8:35 pm

I recently turned 26 and having to check the 26-30 column depressed me :cry:

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Thu May 14, 2015 8:37 pm

I'm 28
I've been gaming since the NES era at around 4 years old so ...1990.

Technically my first "RARE" game was playing jetpac on the computers in my elementary school. The Battltoads iN battlemanics though i didnt know it was rareware because it used the tradewest logo.
I didn't start recognizing Rareware as a prominent developer until Donkey Kong Country.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu May 14, 2015 8:41 pm

24 as of date.

I'm totally addicted to 3d platformers, they're plain fun and easy to pick up and play at any time.
Banjo-Kazooie became an instant favorite. as did Super Mario 64, Zelda, Glover, Donkey Kong 64, Diddy kong racing, Conker's bad fur day and Banjo-Tooie later on, Paper-Mario, Gex, Goldeneye even! I never noticed most of them were from Rareware back then. Or I didn't care for that matter... Hated all those intro's, rather tried to skip the lot.

But Banjo Kazooie always held a special spot in my heart. Just because of the Ice Key. I wanted that thing bad. Than I completed the game and saw those eggs and stuff, man. I love secrets! So I spend many many days trying to unravel these secrets. You do not want to know what lengths I went to trying to find the answer.

(I cried a little from inside when Banjo-tooie totally ruined the whole thing)

Sooo, guess I was a preteenager back then ^^
Stop picking your nose Image

Camouflage

Postby Camouflage » Thu May 14, 2015 9:15 pm

Good idea with the poll.

Yeah, it looks like most of us here grew up with Rare's games on the N64.

I honestly had a few Rare games before even realizing it. I grew up playing a lot of Donkey Kong Country. Later, Donkey Kong 64, GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, etc., before I knew they were all Rare. I still remember turning on Perfect Dark for the Nth time, seeing the Rare logo flash for the M x Nth, and having it suddenly click: All of my favorite games are from Rare!

CrazyChaos

Postby CrazyChaos » Thu May 14, 2015 9:56 pm

I turn 22 this year. I cannot remember exactly how old I was when I played or watched my brother play any games in particular.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Fri May 15, 2015 12:24 am

I'm 25! Looks like the voters most represented are the ones who played N64 as older kids and preteens.

I remember seeing Banjo-Kazooie for the first time in early 1999, I was 9 years old and at a friend's house. Her big brother was playing the game on his N64. I didn't know what it was, but he was playing as a bear with a big red bird on its back, and he was swimming around in this grimey place with a giant metal shark...it looked kinda scary and hard because of the air limit! We thought he was really good at video games, hahaha. My family already owned a Sega Genesis, and my parents were trying to raise five kids, so buying a new video game console was the last thing on their minds.

It may have been later that year that we went to our cousin's house, and he had the coolest game ever: Zelda. All five of us wanted a N64 for Christmas so we could play that game called Zelda. We convinced them to get us an N64 along with Ocarina of Time. Both it and Majora's Mask have special places in my heart, but that's off-topic. My dad didn't want to buy video games outside of Christmas and birthdays, so we normally could only rent games with our meager kid allowance. We'd head to Blockbuster and pick out some N64 cartridges. I found Banjo-Kazooie one day and recognized it from my friend's house. Since we ended up renting that one over and over again, my mom eventually bought it. I might have been almost 11 when I got really into B-K.

It was a special experience for me, my twin brother and my little sister. I was super stubborn and cheeky like Kazooie, my brother was gentle and kind like Banjo, and my little sister was cute and sweet like Tootie. We'd take turns playing, and we'd read the dialogue aloud so my little sister could participate. We loved the music, the silly characters, the colors, the dialogue, the move set, the transformations, and the way you had to really look for everything. It was just entirely perfect. That Ice Key drove us nuts, though, so did that locked door in the "Machine Room." I don't really remember when I found out about how the whole Stop 'N Swop thing would have worked, I think I was searching for info for Banjo-Kazooie on AOL ( :roll: ) and read about it. I was kind of sad that BT didn't connect to BK like originally planned, but finding mystery eggs & the Ice Key in it was good enough for me.

I would go to the Rare webpage a lot and see if there were updates on Banjo-Threeie. They never came. Then Rare was sold to Microsoft, and there was no way we were getting an Xbox. It was really depressing for me. By the time Nuts & Bolts came out I was getting ready for college, so I wasn't in a position to play video games often enough to justify buying one with my own money. I think about all those days just staring at the Rare website as a preteen, and now as an adult all this Yooka-Laylee spiritual successor thing elates me. It wasn't all for nothing! I wasn't the only person out there who cared about the bear & bird! I just have to say, thanks Playtonic! Way to make a kid's dream come true. :) (Now, a REAL Banjo-Threeie would be nice, but this will more than suffice.)
you kuh lady

karashata

Postby karashata » Fri May 15, 2015 1:22 am

Late 20's here.

Don't really know what else to add, so I'll just leave it there.

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Fri May 15, 2015 1:27 am

23... I believe... I don't usually keep track.

Calculate it yourself if you want to be certain:
14th of September (9) in the year 1991

DudeSean

Postby DudeSean » Fri May 15, 2015 3:11 am

I'm 29. My parents got an NES shortly after I was born. We had the Wizards & Warriors games, which I really like. Then the SNES with the DKC and Battletoads games. Then the n64 with DK64, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Then the gamecube with Starfox Adventures. Then Rare got sold to microsoft and my childhood died. :(

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri May 15, 2015 7:14 am

I would have been 10 when I discovered the greatest game in world, then 12 when the awesome sequel came out.

First console was a SNES with Super Mario World. I did have one of those consoles that ran on cassette tapes but I was too young to remember what it was.

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri May 15, 2015 9:52 am

25 now.
8 when I first played BK and 10 when I first played BT.
Still love 'em both! :D

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri May 15, 2015 11:31 pm

Interesting. The vast majority of users seem to be in their mid-to-late-20s; I guess it's all to do with nostalgia.
Taylonic Ltd.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Fri May 15, 2015 11:31 pm

Taylor wrote:Interesting. The vast majority of users seem to be in their mid-to-late-20s; I guess it's all to do with nostalgia.

Not surprising, most of Playtonic's marketing is "we made Banjo Kazooie, help us make another one!"
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri May 15, 2015 11:34 pm

GrayMagicΓ wrote:Not surprising, most of Playtonic's marketing is "we made Banjo Kazooie, help us make another one!"

True. I think Yooka-Laylee will gain a lot of young fans when the game is actually released, but until then everything is hanging on nostalgia.
Taylonic Ltd.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Fri May 15, 2015 11:36 pm

Taylor wrote:
GrayMagicΓ wrote:Not surprising, most of Playtonic's marketing is "we made Banjo Kazooie, help us make another one!"

True. I think Yooka-Laylee will gain a lot of young fans when the game is actually released, but until then everything is hanging on nostalgia.

And that's nothing to be ashamed of! I think Gaijin Goombah did a good video on it here.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

karashata

Postby karashata » Sat May 16, 2015 12:02 am

To be fair, I never really played either of the Banjo games much when I was younger, it was only fairly recently I finally got around to playing them and completing them. I did enjoy the heck out of them, though.

That said, I've always enjoyed 3D platformers more than just about any other genre.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Sat May 16, 2015 5:52 am

GrayMagicΓ wrote:And that's nothing to be ashamed of! I think Gaijin Goombah did a good video on it here.

Excellent video! Yeah, I agree. Taking it a little further, I think everyone has their piece of child-like nostalgia they look back to and long for because they associated them with "better days." For my dad it's playing sports with his brothers and Barry Manilow singles. For me it's the video games of the 90's. Be it these examples or others like cartoons or books or movies or camping or whatever, everyone "lives in the past" to an extent with their hobbies. I like the point he makes that having any of these "kiddie" hobbies don't make you childish, they're just the way you escape from mundane, nose-to-the-grind life. There's value in it because it makes you HAPPY.
you kuh lady

Return to “Community Discussion”