General Chat (& Random Thoughts)

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
ShanPen

Re: General Chat (& Random Thoughts)

Postby ShanPen » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:40 am

Meinhard1 wrote:Favorite TV Show? I a bit of a Trekkie (I like the Original Series, TNG, and Voyager).
I absolutely love Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. Big fan the American The Office.

Ooh I've been watching Star Trek: Voyager over the last year and love it! I'm sad because I'm about to finish it and don't know what else to watch when it's over because I've already watched The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine (and I don't like the look of Enterprise from what I've heard about it so won't be watching that), and I've watched all of Stargate (especially love SG-1), and rebooted Doctor Who won't have new episodes for ages.

I love The Last Airbender and Korra too, but I prefer the UK version of The Office as that was the first one I saw.
Another British comedy I love is called "The I.T. Crowd", it's so funny! Although I didn't love it until I watched it all from the start, as before that I just caught part of episodes occasionally on TV and thought some of it was stupid because it was so ridiculous (it is, but you get used to it if you watch it from the start). As for American comedy, I love the show "Community".

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:41 pm

It's weird, I don't have a favorite TV show, because it changes with time. Kind of comes and goes with my mood. I recently watched the first season of Attack on Titan, and I really enjoyed that! I've been using Netflix a lot more, so I usually watch whatever's on that. There are a lot of shows on my list when it comes to watching stuff there, including the Marvel shows Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and now Luke Cage.

luke11685

Postby luke11685 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:44 pm

what do you think about Rad Rodgers?

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:19 am

ShanPen wrote:
Meinhard1 wrote:Favorite TV Show? I a bit of a Trekkie (I like the Original Series, TNG, and Voyager).
I absolutely love Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. Big fan the American The Office.

Ooh I've been watching Star Trek: Voyager over the last year and love it! I'm sad because I'm about to finish it and don't know what else to watch when it's over because I've already watched The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine (and I don't like the look of Enterprise from what I've heard about it so won't be watching that), and I've watched all of Stargate (especially love SG-1), and rebooted Doctor Who won't have new episodes for ages.

I love The Last Airbender and Korra too, but I prefer the UK version of The Office as that was the first one I saw.
Another British comedy I love is called "The I.T. Crowd", it's so funny! Although I didn't love it until I watched it all from the start, as before that I just caught part of episodes occasionally on TV and thought some of it was stupid because it was so ridiculous (it is, but you get used to it if you watch it from the start). As for American comedy, I love the show "Community".

Sounds like you'll miss Janeway, Robert Picardo, Seven of Nine and the crew. Pretty far into TNG, DS9 and Voyager but haven't actually seen any of them in their entirety, yet.
Do you have a favorite Star Trek series?

The I.T. Crowd ... haven't heard of it. May need to look into it eventually.

I've been told I should watch Community, also!

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:57 pm

Meinhard1 wrote:Sounds like you'll miss Janeway, Robert Picardo, Seven of Nine and the crew. Pretty far into TNG, DS9 and Voyager but haven't actually seen any of them in their entirety, yet.

Yes I will definitely miss them, and funnily enough those three you mentioned are my favourite characters from Voyager, which is my favourite series (Deep Space Nine being a close runner up). It seems that Janeway gets a lot of hate from fans from what I've read online but for me she just beats Picard as my favourite Captain/Commander. Especially after watching DS9 - I couldn't stand Sisko's arrogance and how he was all macho and "You will do it my way!" hardly ever listening to the opinion of others, whereas Janeway would always, and Picard would almost always listen to and consider the concerns of the senior crew (even if they didn't end up agreeing, at least they listened. Whereas Sisko would be all "How DARE you question me!"). Which is your favourite series, and do you have a favourite Captain/Commander?

Community is really funny. It starts out as a pretty normalish comedy show, but then gets very crazy later on, and there are some brilliant episodes such as the paintball episodes.

And the I.T. Crowd is hilarious. It's about the characters of an I.T. department of a big business. The two I.T. techs Roy and Moss, and their head of department Jen, who lied her way into the job having no clue about I.T. (not even knowing what the letters I.T. stand for). If you want a bit of an idea what it's like, here's a nice quick 1.16 minute video of a scene that I always liked from the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDNmyyrEZho

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:09 am

ShanPen wrote:
Meinhard1 wrote:Sounds like you'll miss Janeway, Robert Picardo, Seven of Nine and the crew. Pretty far into TNG, DS9 and Voyager but haven't actually seen any of them in their entirety, yet.

Yes I will definitely miss them, and funnily enough those three you mentioned are my favourite characters from Voyager, which is my favourite series (Deep Space Nine being a close runner up). It seems that Janeway gets a lot of hate from fans from what I've read online but for me she just beats Picard as my favourite Captain/Commander. Especially after watching DS9 - I couldn't stand Sisko's arrogance and how he was all macho and "You will do it my way!" hardly ever listening to the opinion of others, whereas Janeway would always, and Picard would almost always listen to and consider the concerns of the senior crew (even if they didn't end up agreeing, at least they listened. Whereas Sisko would be all "How DARE you question me!"). Which is your favourite series, and do you have a favourite Captain/Commander?

Community is really funny. It starts out as a pretty normalish comedy show, but then gets very crazy later on, and there are some brilliant episodes such as the paintball episodes.

And the I.T. Crowd is hilarious. It's about the characters of an I.T. department of a big business. The two I.T. techs Roy and Moss, and their head of department Jen, who lied her way into the job having no clue about I.T. (not even knowing what the letters I.T. stand for). If you want a bit of an idea what it's like, here's a nice quick 1.16 minute video of a scene that I always liked from the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDNmyyrEZho

Picking a favorite series is difficult for me, but TNG does have a slight edge over Voyager. The cast is a bit more balanced and it just has some of my favorite episodes. Yes Janeway, Seven, and the Doctor are great (and Tuvok, as well!), but I don't care for the rest of Voyagers cast as much. TNG's "Darmok" is the episode I usually mention when people ask why I like Star Trek.

Favorite Trek captain could only come down to Picard vs Janeway, for me... and I flip flop on the answer. Janeway is probably more dynamic and bad-ass but Picard is such a great, intellectual leader; I like when he quotes Shakespeare or is awkward around children.

(Agreed on Sisko. Listening is a part of what makes Star Trek great -- problems are often solved though dialogue and diplomacy; it as an essential quality in a commander or star-ship captain and Janeway/Picard exemplify this. I stopped watching DS9 a few seasons in, though I have been told it gets much better.)

(I do like the The Original Series)

(I also remember being surprised at Janeway's apparent unpopularity online.)

Oh wow. So with the context you provided, that's Jen who doesn't know what a browser is and who works in IT as Roy's boss. It does look like an amusing show. Roy seems to really care about his work!

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:35 pm

Can somebody explain the benefits of upscaling a video signal to, let's say, HD or 4K? In case of the Wii U's Wii mode, it's still 480p in its internal resolution. Now I read that some people make a deal of the Nintendo Switch not upscaling to 4K, which I really don't get. The picture won't look better anyway, would it?

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:39 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:Can somebody explain the benefits of upscaling a video signal to, let's say, HD or 4K? In case of the Wii U's Wii mode, it's still 480p in its internal resolution. Now I read that some people make a deal of the Nintendo Switch not upscaling to 4K, which I really don't get. The picture won't look better anyway, would it?

I haven't messed with my WiiU settings in a while and I'm not an expert, but I believe upscaling is simply to make sure it fits the screen, even if it stretches the image. Essentially it makes sure every pixel is being used to create the image.
Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Rawk

Postby Rawk » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:05 am

Do people still skateboard?

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:59 pm

Rawk wrote:Do people still skateboard?

Actually yes. A couple months ago while working in a subdivision, I saw some kids skateboarding.
Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:15 pm

Savage Rodent wrote:
Rawk wrote:Do people still skateboard?

Actually yes. A couple months ago while working in a subdivision, I saw some kids skateboarding.

Boards with 2 wheels no less.
Stop picking your nose Image

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:04 am

Meinhard1 wrote:Picking a favorite series is difficult for me, but TNG does have a slight edge over Voyager. The cast is a bit more balanced and it just has some of my favorite episodes. Yes Janeway, Seven, and the Doctor are great (and Tuvok, as well!), but I don't care for the rest of Voyagers cast as much. TNG's "Darmok" is the episode I usually mention when people ask why I like Star Trek.

Favorite Trek captain could only come down to Picard vs Janeway, for me... and I flip flop on the answer. Janeway is probably more dynamic and bad-ass but Picard is such a great, intellectual leader; I like when he quotes Shakespeare or is awkward around children.

(Agreed on Sisko. Listening is a part of what makes Star Trek great -- problems are often solved though dialogue and diplomacy; it as an essential quality in a commander or star-ship captain and Janeway/Picard exemplify this. I stopped watching DS9 a few seasons in, though I have been told it gets much better.)

(I do like the The Original Series)

(I also remember being surprised at Janeway's apparent unpopularity online.)

Oh wow. So with the context you provided, that's Jen who doesn't know what a browser is and who works in IT as Roy's boss. It does look like an amusing show. Roy seems to really care about his work!

Yes I loved it how Picard was awkward around children, so funny when he had to attend the “Captain Picard Day” and pretend that he was enjoying it :lol:. And that Darmok episode was very clever.

I’m the opposite with Next Generation, in that there were a few of the crew that I really liked - Picard, Deanna, and Data, but the rest of them I either didn’t care for much (the Crushers, Worf, that other doctor), or they really annoyed me. Riker gave me the absolute sh…you-know-whats :evil:, and I got so sick of Geordi being a sulky “I can’t get a girlfriend” type (just like Kim in Voyager!) :roll:.

I can understand Deep Space Nine not appealing to everyone, after all it was so contained to the space station rather than episodes exploring lots of cool new places, and it was very focused on political conflict. But it does get better and better as the series progresses. Also about Sisko, while I thought he was an appalling Commander, I did think he was an absolutely wonderful father to Jake (I just wish he used more of that diplomatic approach to his Starfleet leadership roll!).

I never saw much of the Original series, just the odd pieces of odd episode here and there. The only episode I saw in full was the Tribbles one. I don’t know if I could go back and watch it all as it’s just so outdated (same as how I haven’t watched all the old Doctor Who stuff), so I’ll just appreciate it from afar because it was what started Star Trek and lead to much better series.

And about the I.T. Crowd, yeah you got most of that right from that clip, with the exception being that Roy really seems to care about his work - as one of the show’s most well known jokes is that the I.T. department (if they even answer the phone at all) answer unenthusiastically with “Hello, I.T. - have you tried turning it off and on again?” :lol:

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:45 am

The year of the Rare-vival has begun! Soon we'll finally be able to play not one, but two new Rareware games after all these years.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:07 am

Xellos wrote:The year of the Rare-vival has begun! Soon we'll finally be able to play not one, but two new Rareware games after all these years.

It's going to be a good year.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:24 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grBmqfQxfYU
Life explained like a video game

Hilarious thing I found in my timeline. Additional props for a certain cameo.

Return to “Community Discussion”