General Chat (& Random Thoughts)

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Nanirourou

Re: General Chat (& Random Thoughts)

Postby Nanirourou » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:08 am

I like how Yooka curls up into a perfect little ball to roll around the level. I didn't think chameleons can actually roll up like that, but I saw these pictures of a baby chameleon that had its shell peeled off since it couldn't break out on its own. Look at that shape! Obviously adult chameleons couldn't do this, but thought it was funny.

http://geekologie.com/2015/06/baby-cham ... been-b.php
you kuh lady

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:58 am

That is so cute omg.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:48 am

Sorting out all my university stuff; starting in September. Sorry for not joining in with all the discussions lately! I'm still lurking throughout the day and keeping on top of the spam reports.
Taylonic Ltd.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:43 pm

Kinda sad to see the forums as slow as they are, after how active and lively and fun they were during the Kickstarter. It was too be expected though. Maybe it'll pick up closer to release. And maybe several years from now, though, after Playtonic's released a few titles, we'll have established a larger community with tons to talk about. That's my hope anyway!
you kuh lady

Fynrir

Postby Fynrir » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:52 pm

The decline of the activity of the forums are to be expected since the forums deals with the topic it was mainly created for. Playtonic Games, and their games (In this case Yooka Laylee).

When the game is released, the activity will spike upwards. So will also happen for shorter periods of times when news are released (and I mean real news, not tweets).

Also, due to the "secrecy" nature of the team members. (Much like how Rare behaves), it provides even less discussion material.

You must remember that the forums are not like a IRC channel or a chat, and that Playtonic is a very small company at the moment (and will likely remain so, unless it grows 10 times the size).

I used to be in a community that hosted serves for several "games", this community used to be very active. Why it declined is not connected to this forums situation. But it had a high activity because there was material, games and news to be discussed.

Besides, the internet is currently over saturated with forums that deals with gaming, and specific games. Most of them are already strongly established and people who have their "home" there are not very likely to just up and move position to a new forum just like that.

It certainly does not help that these Forums are severely underdeveloped. It badly needs a face lift and some restructuring.

So, what I think will raise the activity is this, in no particular order:

*News, and not just once a month or even longer, Perhaps a Bi-weekly news letter (every 2 weeks).
*Material.
*Productive Members who produce content.
*The actual release of the game (the Toybox release will raise the activity a bit, but far from the levels of the actual game release).
A serious face lift of the forums, including new relevant categories. Gathering all off-topic under a single sub forum with no categories is incredibly lazy and counter-productive.

Also. It was very nice to see the Playtonic tweet mention the forums. But we need a bit more.
A passing mention now and then should suffice, any more and it just becomes a annoying pattern that will be treated like any advert, ignoring it.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:16 pm

Sometimes I dream of traveling ten years into the future and checking out all the games Playtonic has produced till then...

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:16 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:Sometimes I dream of traveling ten years into the future and checking out all the games Playtonic has produced till then...

I've been there, Its pretty good.
Yooka-Laylee, Two-ka-laylee, Walnuts Bad Fur Day, Playtonic Racing have all been released. I hear they are working on Yooka-Laythree and apparently are bringing in some kind of vehicle building gameplay. Sounds interesting.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:23 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:Sometimes I dream of traveling ten years into the future and checking out all the games Playtonic has produced till then...

By that time Playtonic would've released many critically acclaimed games that will become classics in the eyes of future generations, such as; Yooka-Laylee, "Tooka-Laylee", Urchin, etc. Thanks to their multiple teams that releases one or two games every single year, with each team having an average time of two years to developing their game. Yes, it would be a new golden age, but this one would last for decades and dwarfs the one Rareware had from 1994-2001.

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:36 pm

Xellos wrote:

By that time Playtonic would've released many critically acclaimed games that will become classics in the eyes of future generations, such as; Yooka-Laylee, "Tooka-Laylee", Urchin, etc. Thanks to their multiple teams that releases one or two games every single year, with each team having an average time of two years to developing their game. Yes, it would be a new golden age, but this one would last for decades and dwarfs the one Rareware had from 1994-2001.

I wish I could believe that, but nostalgia is a powerful thing.
Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:44 pm

"Nostalgia" you say? I disagree with this statement.
Last edited by Xellos on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:45 pm

Xellos wrote:

Wow, it's been only seven years... Crazy what a time that was. I really hope that someone (like Nintendo or Microsoft) lends them a powerful IP to work with again. I have no doubts that they'll create memorable characters and such, but DKC was really the thing that skyrocketed Rare into the hall of fame. Star power AND Rare quality is the greatest match, after all.

Yeah, it's just a dream. I'm fine without that, of course. But the team would deserve it.

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:42 am

Xellos wrote:"Nostalgia" you say? I disagree with this statement.

The reason I mention nostalgia is because that will influence which period of time is better. I'm not saying we don't have good times ahead of us, but nostalgia typically will make our past experiences greater than what they actually are. Playtonic would have to put a lot of effort into their games to make a new golden age, but unfortunately I just don't see that happening.
Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:17 pm

I've played almost all the old Rareware classics from Banjo-Kazooie to Conker's Bad Fur Day for the past two years to see how well it holds up today, and let me tell you - they're still great games and miles better than anything Rare has produced from 2002-2015 regardless of how much time has passed since there were initially released. That's why the Rareware fanbase survived for so long, because of all the great games that were made from 1994-2001, even when they became Rare Ltd and the quality of their games began to decline (although, in the end, the fanbase collapsed when the "charming" Kinect Sports series came into existence). And under Microsoft "management", the golden age fizzled out like a candle lit. Now that Playtonic Games exist and is the resurrected Rareware company, I have faith that they can bring us a new golden age within a decade.

You don't believe that Playtonic Games will deliver us a new golden age. That's, of course, fine too. Anyway, we'll see within a decade's time if there is truly something we can call a "golden age" or not by then, but don't be surprised if it is.

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:01 pm

Do you believe that these games will be great to the newer generation or to people who have never played these games? I'll admit that their games have held up throughout the years (except maybe Golden Eye and Perfect Dark. I personally didn't play them back in the day, but any fps on the N64 would be an absolute nightmare to play), but you have to remember that we grew up playing these games. There was nothing better back in those days, and the majority of gamers thought the same. I cannot say the same for today unfortunately.

Yeah their past games are tons better than anything they made within the past decade and a half, but can you be absolutely sure that their future projects in Playtonic will be better? I believe they will deliver great games, but it will be very hard to top what they had back in the golden age.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:24 pm

Savage Rodent wrote:Do you believe that these games will be great to the newer generation or to people who have never played these games? I'll admit that their games have held up throughout the years (except maybe Golden Eye and Perfect Dark. I personally didn't play them back in the day, but any fps on the N64 would be an absolute nightmare to play), but you have to remember that we grew up playing these games. There was nothing better back in those days, and the majority of gamers thought the same. I cannot say the same for today unfortunately.

Yeah their past games are tons better than anything they made within the past decade and a half, but can you be absolutely sure that their future projects in Playtonic will be better? I believe they will deliver great games, but it will be very hard to top what they had back in the golden age.

From what I've heard so far is that Yooka-Laylee is going to be far more ambitious than B-K / B-T. The thing is, what means "topping the golden age"? In terms of the quality of the game, they might be pretty much able to do that. In terms of commercial success, you might be right. But on the other hand, they're releasing on so many platforms, that they might catch up somehow. But as I said earlier, a lot of the success had to do with the DKC series and Donkey Kong's star power back then.

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:06 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:From what I've heard so far is that Yooka-Laylee is going to be far more ambitious than B-K / B-T. The thing is, what means "topping the golden age"? In terms of the quality of the game, they might be pretty much able to do that. In terms of commercial success, you might be right. But on the other hand, they're releasing on so many platforms, that they might catch up somehow. But as I said earlier, a lot of the success had to do with the DKC series and Donkey Kong's star power back then.

The guys at Playtonic are pretty creative, but there is only so much you can do with a genre. The DKC series is what brought them up to success, but when they started making original stuff after DKC, I felt it really showed their potential. They would make a game for whatever genre and do something unique with it. It was pretty incredible.

That was back when gaming was small. Now, it feels like just about everything has been done before. Yeah there isn't very many 3D platformers out there, but the big thing (for me anyways) is seeing more 3D platformers on the market. I love the genre and wish to see more from the genre, but I can't see anything really "wowing" me anymore.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:54 pm

Savage Rodent wrote:Do you believe that these games will be great to the newer generation or to people who have never played these games? I'll admit that their games have held up throughout the years (except maybe Golden Eye and Perfect Dark. I personally didn't play them back in the day, but any fps on the N64 would be an absolute nightmare to play), but you have to remember that we grew up playing these games. There was nothing better back in those days, and the majority of gamers thought the same. I cannot say the same for today unfortunately.

I believe that some games like Yooka-Laylee will be great for both the newer generation, and the people who grew up with it. Maybe some people who have never played Rareware games before would give them a chance, but I don't expect that they will make up the general audience for Playtonic. Of course, games like Urchin would be more intended for adult people with a certain taste for that kind of games like Conker's Bad Fur Day was before it. As for your comment that; "There was nothing better back in those days, and the majority of gamers thought the same". Well, the huge PS1 crowd who also existed back then in the N64 era would beg to differ on that.

I didn't say that the future projects from Playtonic will be better than their past games when they were still Rareware, nor did I claimed that the new golden age would top the previous one. Let's be reasonable here, even I have my doubts they could manage in achieving such a humongous task. But what I do expect from Playtonic is that they can make quality games that could rival their past games and with it, if the games are commercial successes, the previous golden age.

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:30 am

I guess everyone will have a different term of use for "golden age," but I believe there to only be one golden age. And saying that there will be a new one is like saying the period of time is better than the previous golden age. I guess this is where the conflict/confusion comes from me, and why I mentioned nostalgia. Though I still believe nostalgia can blur judgement, and it has already shown here on the forums.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:16 pm

Let's get random again! Me and some of you guys were talking about Donald Trump some while ago in the chat. That's why I've got to share this little hilarious spot with you, brought to you by the best guy of all late night shows, Conan O'Brien(at least I think that way)!

Enjoy: http://youtu.be/d4aJc_ymc-E :mrgreen:

rocho

Postby rocho » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:23 am

What about the future Playtonic Games collaboration with Nintendo called:

Mario's Bad Hair Day.

(I know you want this to happen)

Return to “Community Discussion”