General Chat (& Random Thoughts)

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Rueckkoppler

Re: General Chat (& Random Thoughts)

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:55 pm

rocho wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:Sometimes I dream of traveling ten years into the future and checking out all the games Playtonic has produced till then...

What about the future Playtonic Games collaboration with Nintendo called:

Mario's Bad Hair Day.

(I know you want this to happen)

I'm generally opting for a more fierce, adventurous Mario. Just let the Smash Bros. version of him have some mainline games!

rocho

Postby rocho » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:38 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:
I'm generally opting for a more fierce, adventurous Mario. Just let the Smash Bros. version of him have some mainline games!

I would gladly take a Mario 64 or sunshine like game again with the Smash Bros. Version.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:14 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:
rocho wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:Sometimes I dream of traveling ten years into the future and checking out all the games Playtonic has produced till then...

Mario's Bad Hair Day.

I always hoped the mean looking, HD, proper clothes wearing, bad ass Mario would get a platforming game. It would move the series forward but they insist on churning out the same happy colourful linear platformers every single time.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:59 pm

Scrubber wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:
rocho wrote:

Mario's Bad Hair Day.

I always hoped the mean looking, HD, proper clothes wearing, bad ass Mario would get a platforming game. It would move the series forward but they insist on churning out the same happy colourful linear platformers every single time.

Yeah, although I eventually LOVED 3D World, Mario was happier and friendlier than ever... while the game was the most linear one in the 3D-series of all time. Sadly, I don't think they'll ever head the series in a more ''mean'' direction, since it might lift the rating away from "E" - if only slightly. I think we can be happy if they try to make the next Mario games a bit more epic (looking at you, Galaxy intro!) and open. Jeez, I'm getting disappointed all over again when I think of the possibilities for a real 3D Mario title on Wii U and what we've got instead :roll:

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:38 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:Yeah, although I eventually LOVED 3D World, Mario was happier and friendlier than ever... while the game was the most linear one in the 3D-series of all time. Sadly, I don't think they'll ever head the series in a more ''mean'' direction, since it might lift the rating away from "E" - if only slightly. I think we can be happy if they try to make the next Mario games a bit more epic (looking at you, Galaxy intro!) and open. Jeez, I'm getting disappointed all over again when I think of the possibilities for a real 3D Mario title on Wii U and what we've got instead :roll:

If they make another Galaxy game (which I heard a rumor that they are, along with Pikmin 4), I just hope they at least add a co-op similar to 3D world with the second player controlling Luigi. If not that, then a return to the world designs of 64 and Sunshine.

What I would really like to see is worlds that are interconnected, similar to like Jak and Daxter. No hub, no loading screens, just different themed worlds connected in some way. I do like the power ups and how much health you have in the Galaxy games. Made the game more challenging which I like. Though I think I would prefer 3D World/Land's way of handling health, which is the same as the 2D Mario games.
Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Bunnies5

Postby Bunnies5 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:36 pm

rocho wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:

I would gladly take a Mario 64 or sunshine like game again with the Smash Bros. Version.

I completely agree would be amazing to see some day.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:40 am

Rueckkoppler wrote: Jeez, I'm getting disappointed all over again when I think of the possibilities for a real 3D Mario title on Wii U and what we've got instead :roll:

On the contrary, I'm glad we got a real 3D Mario game instead of what we got on the N64, GC, and Wii.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:23 am

GrayMagicΓ wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote: Jeez, I'm getting disappointed all over again when I think of the possibilities for a real 3D Mario title on Wii U and what we've got instead :roll:

On the contrary, I'm glad we got a real 3D Mario game instead of what we got on the N64, GC, and Wii.

Weird view on things, especially on a forum that centers around an open exploration 3D platformer, but okay, I guess I know where you're coming from. Considering 3D World, it was "kind of" a 3D game (I'd say 2,5D game) and stuck to the classic mechanics with the power up system and the flagpoles like no other 3D Mario game. But there wasn't this feeling of freedom at all, especially in terms of the level design & the moves of the characters... they didn't feel nearly as agile as Mario in Super Mario 64, for example. And that's what I'll always prefer.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:06 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:
GrayMagicΓ wrote:

Weird view on things, especially on a forum that centers around an open exploration 3D platformer, but okay, I guess I know where you're coming from. Considering 3D World, it was "kind of" a 3D game (I'd say 2,5D game) and stuck to the classic mechanics with the power up system and the flagpoles like no other 3D Mario game. But there wasn't this feeling of freedom at all, especially in terms of the level design & the moves of the characters... they didn't feel nearly as agile as Mario in Super Mario 64, for example. And that's what I'll always prefer.

Different mechanics for different genres. I wouldn't want temporary power ups (64's caps or everything the Galaxy games threw in) to be in a Banjo style platformer (BK, SM64, etc) or permanent stat boosts (health extensions, inventory expansions, objectively more powerful attacks) in a linear Mario style platformer (1-3, World, 3D Land/World). Part of what makes Mario satisfying is finding better ways of re-clearing content, whether that means jumping off of a flying enemy to reach a safer/faster route or getting to a chain of difficult enemies without getting hit, letting you bypass them with a fire flower (or other power up) from early in the level. Part of what makes Banjo fun is how each level (almost) always is fully accessible without needing to die or exit and re-enter and how the level design (almost) always lets you know that there's something to do next without even checking your totals- you get your jiggy from kiting Conga's oranges, then see Chimpy and get his, then you see the log rise and reach the ledge you fight Conga on. The Banjo styled Mario platformers took the worst of both worlds, provided clunky and arbitrary mechanics, were filled with artificial padding, offered almost no bonuses to make cleaning up the last star of an old level easier, and overall provided disappointingly average gameplay in a series surrounded with amazing entries.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:11 am

So, random thought of the day... Something else entirely:

If Playtonic were to use certain similar assets from past games like bottles' portrait challenge and recognisable music and the like and then change it around a bit to fit in with the new game, wouldn't this count as copyright infringement? Seeing as those assets lay with Microsoft now?

Probably not... But just wondering at which point it would be. Thoughts?
Stop picking your nose Image

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:31 pm

Yavga wrote:So, random thought of the day... Something else entirely:

If Playtonic were to use certain similar assets from past games like bottles' portrait challenge and recognisable music and the like and then change it around a bit to fit in with the new game, wouldn't this count as copyright infringement? Seeing as those assets lay with Microsoft now?

Probably not... But just wondering at which point it would be. Thoughts?

I don't think copying a minigame would fall under any copyright infringement. Something similar to an IP doesn't mean it's copied, but "inspired" more like. IP copyrights are typically for names and characters, rarely for game mechanics.
Yooka-Laylee should be its own game with its own feeling. It shouldn't try to be like Banjo-Kazooie, it shouldn't try to be like Donkey Kong, it should be like Yooka-Laylee.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu May 26, 2016 11:41 pm

This was discussed last year, but I keep thinking about how brilliant a Mario Kart style game would be from Playtonic.

Imagine the stunning worlds -- some based on Yooka-Laylee's worlds and some new ones entirely. Imagine all the brilliant characters to choose from. Imagine the fun twists that Playtonic come up with; e.g. something fun and innovative like Mario Kart 8's anti-gravity.

I'm calling it now; after Yooka-Laylee, Playtonic needs to make a kart racing game.
Taylonic Ltd.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri May 27, 2016 5:50 am

Taylor wrote:This was discussed last year, but I keep thinking about how brilliant a Mario Kart style game would be from Playtonic.

Imagine the stunning worlds -- some based on Yooka-Laylee's worlds and some new ones entirely. Imagine all the brilliant characters to choose from. Imagine the fun twists that Playtonic come up with; e.g. something fun and innovative like Mario Kart 8's anti-gravity.

I'm calling it now; after Yooka-Laylee, Playtonic needs to make a kart racing game.

Doddy king racing!

Yeah, somehow I believe they have already thought of this themselves ;)

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri May 27, 2016 11:07 pm

Wow, it really got lively in here after the Edge blow out! So many new names...

Spydr Webz

Postby Spydr Webz » Mon May 30, 2016 3:54 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:Wow, it really got lively in here after the Edge blow out! So many new names...

I'm one of 'em! :D

Still one of the slower forums I've posted on, but that's totally understandable considering the fact that this game hasn't even been released yet and there's not a whole lot to talk about. That's okay though... it's fun to speculate and share ideas.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon May 30, 2016 9:11 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:Wow, it really got lively in here after the Edge blow out! So many new names...

It's nice to visit here to see regular new posts. The lack of activity was getting boring. I still hope for more though. Like it was during the kickstarter.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon May 30, 2016 3:02 pm

Fingers crossed Playtonic will thrive as a company for years to come and will gather many fans that will join the forums to discuss all their games.
Taylonic Ltd.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:40 am

...Aaaand the forum's dead again.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:26 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:...Aaaand the forum's dead again.

Revive it!

(Sandbox will come out soon, maybe things will change... Maybe not)

How could we get the forums more lively?
We could do some detail analysis from screencaps or videos, but there are like a crap load of other people outside these forums that did the honours already :p

Think!

Savage Rodent

Postby Savage Rodent » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:54 pm

I don't really frequent here because there isn't really anything to talk about. I will try to post a video of the toybox when it releases, and maybe give my thoughts on everything.

Return to “Community Discussion”