Finding Playtonic's new candidates, (Updated 18th of June)

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Xellos

Re: Finding Playtonic's new candidates, (Updated 18th of June)

Postby Xellos » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:31 pm

I hope that after Chris Seavor is done with: The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup, he's going to revive the most promising game of his that was cancelled by Microsoft when he was still at Rare Ltd called Urchin. And does a collaboration with Playtonic for financial (profits made from Yooka-Laylee and the Kickstarter for Urchin) and development support to get the project off the ground.

Now, for anyone who believes it's unlikely that Chris will revive one of his projects, because its years ago that it was cancelled and he is now more focused on making other smaller games at his own indie company Gory Detail. Here is an interesting quote from a recent interview with Chris, where he's talking about how he wants to make Urchin (under a different name obviously) one day:

What might have been?

Chris Seavor wrote:I know. Well, it's still there. I've still got it. I've got all the designs. It's all sat there. You never know. It won't be called Urchin, but it's still there. Who knows one day, when I make loads of money and get a much bigger team. It was the game I always wanted to make.

Source: The man who made Conker - Rare's most adult game

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:17 pm

Xellos wrote:I hope that after Chris Seavor is done with: The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup, he's going to revive the most promising game of his that was cancelled by Microsoft when he was still at Rare Ltd called Urchin. And does a collaboration with Playtonic for financial (profits made from Yooka-Laylee and the Kickstarter for Urchin) and development support to get the project off the ground.

Now, for anyone who believes it's unlikely that Chris will revive one of his projects, because its years ago that it was cancelled and he is now more focused on making other smaller games at his own indie company Gory Detail. Here is an interesting quote from a recent interview with Chris, where he's talking about how he wants to make Urchin (under a different name obviously) one day:

What might have been?

Chris Seavor wrote:I know. Well, it's still there. I've still got it. I've got all the designs. It's all sat there. You never know. It won't be called Urchin, but it's still there. Who knows one day, when I make loads of money and get a much bigger team. It was the game I always wanted to make.

Source: The man who made Conker - Rare's most adult game

That sounds great! But does he really have access to all the designs he did back in the day? Even if the game's not released, Rare seems to be keeping all the rights to everything. Like Grant Kirkhope's Dream-music...

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:45 pm

Well, if Chris Seavor says he has all the designs, the man who came up with Urchin in the first place, then you can be very certain that he tells the truth. As for the copyright of Urchin, he can get around that legal matter by making similar looking characters, but different in the end, that resembles the old designs of the characters planned for it, change the name of the game, etc. See Mighty No. 9 for reference of how far you can get away with that, being Mega Man in all but name.

Here's a piece of concept art of Urchin on the top right corner of the image, together with Conker's Other Bad Day. And a link of everything we know of Urchin so far, including more concept art:

Unseen64: Urchin

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:03 pm

Grant also came up with the Dream music in the first place, but since he produced it at Rare, he lost all rights to this. But yeah, Chris might change up the designs he has to be different enough for Rare to not sue him... I guess :mrgreen:

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:05 pm

Your question was; "But does he really have access to all the designs he did back in the day?" And the answer to that is yes, since the creator himself confirms he still has it. I didn't claim that Chris Seavor holds the copyright of Urchin to begin with, since he was under contract with Rare Ltd when he came up with it, only that he still has the old designs of Urchin and can use it as reference material to revive the game under a different name as I described earlier.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:47 pm

Xellos wrote:Your question was; "But does he really have access to all the designs he did back in the day?" And the answer to that is yes, since the creator himself confirms he still has it. I didn't claim that Chris Seavor holds the copyright of Urchin to begin with, since he was under contract with Rare Ltd when he came up with it, only that he still has the old designs of Urchin and can use it as reference material to revive the game under a different name as I described earlier.

Aaah, I see. Yep, I was talking about the legal access to his design. Anyways, he should definitely take the chance... I would want to see him doing big(ger) games again!

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:53 am

I wouldnt want chris seavor working at playtonic he's a very negative person. Hes pretty sour when it comes to microsoft and rare too. The rest of the team left on very good terms.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:10 am

Anyone who is a creative person that have seen every single project of his/her getting cancelled by a corporation that crushes creativity like there is no tomorrow, while ruining the company you worked for where that wasn't the norm until they bought it, will become a "very negative person" over time.

Rueckkoppler wrote:Aaah, I see. Yep, I was talking about the legal access to his design. Anyways, he should definitely take the chance... I would want to see him doing big(ger) games again!

Perhaps it's necessary that we need to inform Chris Seavor of the fact that he could do a collaboration with Playtonic to make Urchin a reality, as he may not have considered about it yet.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:35 pm

Xellos wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:Aaah, I see. Yep, I was talking about the legal access to his design. Anyways, he should definitely take the chance... I would want to see him doing big(ger) games again!

Perhaps it's necessary that we need to inform Chris Seavor of the fact that he could do a collaboration with Playtonic to make Urchin a reality, as he may not have considered about it yet.

Maybe it is, but I can imagine that he at least though about how it would be like to work at Playtonic Games with his old colleagues.

He even joked about making a spiritual successor to Conker's Bad Fur Day - which should stay a joke, by the way. Conker is very much bound to the character and its (development) history. People would want to know what happens next in Conker's life, after all that happened in the first game. A similar behaving, but different looking character would feel so off...

Anyways, going spiritual with a game that hasn't been released... hell, even is unknown to the public is a great idea. And I guess that Playtonic Games might be the right environment for realizing the scope of the game. But I really don't know whether they'll be able to do this anytime soon, since the guys want to build up their "Playtonic Universe" first...

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:46 pm

Yeah, that's a given. But I'll contact him after he is done with Rusty Pup just to make sure he's considering the possibility of it. As such a unique and brilliant concept for a game deserves to being brought back from the graveyard of cancelled games. I mean, a dark fairy tale starring a ruthless little girl as the main protagonist, that in one of the quests in the game kills an evil vampire princess and rips her heart out? That's a really great idea for a game that could be a critically acclaimed masterpiece, and maybe even dethrone Conker's Bad Fur Day as his magnum opus.

I wouldn't mind a spiritual successor to Conker's Bad Fur Day, since it is my most favorite game of all the Rareware classics. But since Chris said he is done with making a game like Conker, it's best to leave it in the past and move forward with new ideas for his games. As for your thought that; "people would want to know what happens next in Conker's life, after all that happened in the first game", rather than a hypothetical spiritual successor of the original being made by Chris Seavor if he wanted to do that. Well, he can't make Conker's Other Bad Day without owning the IP rights now is it? So that would be the next best thing for the fans.

Playtonic Games did say they wanted to grow large enough to form a second team. Maybe that team could do the task of helping Gory Detail with developing Urchin, while the first team is busy making other games in building their "Playtonic Universe". Though it's possible that the current team now working on Yooka-Laylee would want to make Urchin as their next project, who knows?

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:42 pm

Actually I like the new ones. I don't know why, but someone who loves BK will try to get the new game like this kinda experience he has. :?

And now to the first female part in this team. I actually like her. I don't know her or her personality, but she is like the right team member for them. She looks like someone who will push them in a dark pit if they don't behave! :lol:

Nah jk. I think she looks very happy and her hair <3 :mrgreen:
These two are for sure not a bad choice and I'm glad that I have more people to thank for this game.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:42 pm

Odd that neither Dave nor Ross have yet been added to the "Team" section of Playtonic's website - it's a little hard to tell from the news article about them what exactly they will be doing.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:47 pm

Do we think that's it for the Yooka-Laylee team until Playtonic's first game comes out? Stopping at a team of 12?

rocho

Postby rocho » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:37 am

You forgot the "soon to be" next newcomer and "things" designer: Rodrigoandrés Morales

:lol:

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:46 am

rocho wrote:You forgot the "soon to be" next newcomer and "things" designer: Rodrigoandrés Morales

Who's that?

travisschultz95

Postby travisschultz95 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:26 pm

Scrubber wrote:I wouldnt want chris seavor working at playtonic he's a very negative person. Hes pretty sour when it comes to microsoft and rare too. The rest of the team left on very good terms.

Yeah, I'm not sure he worked with the Banjo Kazooie team much anyways.

rocho

Postby rocho » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:41 pm

NPChilla wrote:
rocho wrote:You forgot the "soon to be" next newcomer and "things" designer: Rodrigoandrés Morales

Who's that?

That's me hahaha I was just joking :lol:

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:15 pm

travisschultz95 wrote:
Scrubber wrote:I wouldnt want chris seavor working at playtonic he's a very negative person. Hes pretty sour when it comes to microsoft and rare too. The rest of the team left on very good terms.

He was the voice actor for Gruntilda. That's it as far as I know.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:22 pm

NPChilla wrote:
travisschultz95 wrote:

He was the voice actor for Gruntilda. That's it as far as I know.

I'd love if he would do some voice acting again. Or if he contributed some character designs or gameplay ideas... he would have some great ideas, I think. He's done with profanity, but since he'd apparently like to work on a 3D platformer again, he should go and use his strengths.

TrenteR

Postby TrenteR » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:10 pm

Source

So the Snake is hiring for him to do stuff. Interesssting

Return to “Community Discussion”