'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:22 pm

GrayMagicΓ wrote:http://www.destructoid.com/rare-replay-is-rare-s-first-uk-best-seller-since-the-90s-300608.phtml


Oh my god, you guys don't know how warm I feel inside right now :mrgreen:

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1375
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby Scrubber » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:42 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Scrubber wrote:WHY is nobody talking Rare Replay on here? Its f****** brilliant. Awesome games aside theres a ton of bonus content with rare staff, playtonic staff. Unseen stuff, unreleased music, canceled games... All sorts.

Im up to blast corps at the minute, it's more fun than i remember.


I would, if I had a XBOX one... I'm seriously beginning to consider to buy one because of it. As I said before, I've got the feeling that Rare's getting back on the track again. And I'm very excited for their new projects! That plus some decent 3rd party titles would be a great reason to justify a purchase... I think :D

You should. I bought mine in anticipation of what Rare was about to announce at e3 and i'm really glad i did. Rare Replay is unreal value for money with the games alone but the extra content is what makes it special. I think if Rare Replay sells well enough then it will make it SO much more likely that our beloved IPs could return.

User avatar
FelixofMars
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:31 pm
Location: Cambridge,UK
Contact:

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby FelixofMars » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:46 pm

This is not the reason, the Xbox One and Windows 10 are pretty much the same architecture OS wise, there is a tonne of PC emulators for other consoles (essentially what the backward compatibility is) and well a decent gaming PC has much more storage and power than the Xbox One. Its not a reason of can't its a reason of won't its not viable and there would still be work to do.

nicholas362 wrote:
John Enigma wrote:Again, if would've been nice if Rare Replay was made for the PC.

They can't; the game uses backwards compatibility in order to fit all 30 games, plus hours of HD video.

User avatar
dotEXE
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby dotEXE » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:35 pm

I gotta admit, as grumpy as I was at the announcement, Rare Replay is great.
Make the forum great again.

Pgcrooner
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby Pgcrooner » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:38 pm

I had a hell of a time trying to find Rare Replay at first. But I finally have it!

Gonna start playing it over the weekend. :)

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1375
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby Scrubber » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:24 pm

Ive just completed blast corps.
I'm gomma skip banjo-kazooie and go straight into jet force Gemini.

User avatar
RareAware
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:35 pm

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby RareAware » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:28 pm

Just played Viva Pinata for over 6 hours straight. So addictive...so very, very addictive.

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1375
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby Scrubber » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:05 pm

RareAware wrote:Just played Viva Pinata for over 6 hours straight. So addictive...so very, very addictive.

Looking forward to trying this out. As well as kameo and jet force ive never played these games.

NPChilla
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby NPChilla » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:15 pm

Scrubber wrote:
RareAware wrote:Just played Viva Pinata for over 6 hours straight. So addictive...so very, very addictive.

Looking forward to trying this out. As well as kameo and jet force ive never played these games.


I enjoyed it more on the DS, the touch screen helped things enormously.

NPChilla
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby NPChilla » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:38 pm

As someone pointed out on another thread, Karn Bianco (one of today's hires) was a programmer on Sea of Thieves, only to leave while they're still doing the game.

I wonder how many programmers are working on the game, if one can leave while they're still creating it?

User avatar
FelixofMars
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:31 pm
Location: Cambridge,UK
Contact:

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby FelixofMars » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:44 pm

For a large or even medium studio a programmer leaving will have little effect on the game.

I am not sure of the number but it won't be a handful it will probably be around 20. That is not mentioning all the other disciplines and support staff/External staff.

User avatar
nicholas362
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:30 pm

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby nicholas362 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:28 am

FelixofMars wrote:This is not the reason, the Xbox One and Windows 10 are pretty much the same architecture OS wise, there is a tonne of PC emulators for other consoles (essentially what the backward compatibility is) and well a decent gaming PC has much more storage and power than the Xbox One. Its not a reason of can't its a reason of won't its not viable and there would still be work to do.

nicholas362 wrote:
John Enigma wrote:Again, if would've been nice if Rare Replay was made for the PC.

They can't; the game uses backwards compatibility in order to fit all 30 games, plus hours of HD video.

You don't understand what the backwards compatibility is on Xbone. It wasn't built into the Xbone architecture. It was developed after the Xbone was release, and they didn't develop it for Windows. Quite frankly I think it's absurd that you should expect Windows to be backwards compatible with a CONSOLE.

User avatar
FelixofMars
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:31 pm
Location: Cambridge,UK
Contact:

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby FelixofMars » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:07 am

Did I say I thought it should be backward compatible? I said they COULD do it not that SHOULD. As I said it would be possible to emulate the Xbox 360 games on a PC in fact I bet there are emulators right now that can play Xbox 360 games to some degree on the PC. And yes it was added afterwards which completely suggests its a software emulation and the fact the hardware and OS are similar means it should be trivial to port it. To be fair I don't really care either way as I have most of the original games that I enjoy on the original consoles plus the remakes on the Xbox 360 so I could just plug it in and away. I was just suggesting that the reason isn't a limitation its just work that they don't really want to do.

nicholas362 wrote:You don't understand what the backwards compatibility is on Xbone. It wasn't built into the Xbone architecture. It was developed after the Xbone was release, and they didn't develop it for Windows. Quite frankly I think it's absurd that you should expect Windows to be backwards compatible with a CONSOLE.

User avatar
dotEXE
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby dotEXE » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:55 am

Man you guys are listing all these games I want to replay. Why can't I play them all simultaneously!? I should finish Conker and Ghoulies before starting Gemini and Blast Corps.

I gotta say I love the rewind feature on the arcade games too. I don't have the patience to finish them legit anymore. No time to git gud at Jetpac.
Make the forum great again.

User avatar
Xellos
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:23 pm
Location: Now that's a secret!
Contact:

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby Xellos » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:10 pm

I thought you said that you will not be getting Rare Replay, and you already own those games and all the ones they've already re-released too?

NPChilla
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby NPChilla » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:44 pm

Here's a Rare Replay question:

You know how Rare has been putting extra videos up about other games on YT and the FB page about games which aren't in Rare Replay? Banjo-Tooie, Conker Gettin' Medieval and the like?

Will these eventually be added to the game in an update, do you think? Completionists would go mad for it!

Loggo
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby Loggo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:05 pm

NPChilla wrote:Here's a Rare Replay question:

You know how Rare has been putting extra videos up about other games on YT and the FB page about games which aren't in Rare Replay? Banjo-Tooie, Conker Gettin' Medieval and the like?

Will these eventually be added to the game in an update, do you think? Completionists would go mad for it!
Banjo-Tooie is already in Rare Replay.

As for the prototypes it depends on how far they got into development before they were cancelled. It looks like some of them are basically a collection of artwork and animations rather than actual games/demos.

Stuff like Sabreman Stampede or Twelve Tales would be great, though.

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1375
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby Scrubber » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:58 pm

I'm nearing the end of viva pinata i reckon, what a wonderful game.

Loggo wrote:
NPChilla wrote:Here's a Rare Replay question:

You know how Rare has been putting extra videos up about other games on YT and the FB page about games which aren't in Rare Replay? Banjo-Tooie, Conker Gettin' Medieval and the like?

Will these eventually be added to the game in an update, do you think? Completionists would go mad for it!
Banjo-Tooie is already in Rare Replay.

As for the prototypes it depends on how far they got into development before they were cancelled. It looks like some of them are basically a collection of artwork and animations rather than actual games/demos.

Stuff like Sabreman Stampede or Twelve Tales would be great, though.

I think he/she just means the videos getting added to rare replay. Dont see the point myself.

NPChilla
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby NPChilla » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:33 am

Loggo wrote:
NPChilla wrote:Here's a Rare Replay question:

You know how Rare has been putting extra videos up about other games on YT and the FB page about games which aren't in Rare Replay? Banjo-Tooie, Conker Gettin' Medieval and the like?

Will these eventually be added to the game in an update, do you think? Completionists would go mad for it!
Banjo-Tooie is already in Rare Replay.

As for the prototypes it depends on how far they got into development before they were cancelled. It looks like some of them are basically a collection of artwork and animations rather than actual games/demos.

Stuff like Sabreman Stampede or Twelve Tales would be great, though.


No, I didn't mean the games (which as you say are already in Rare Replay) - I mean these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVl0wOdB9Jc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R2sCzlT5Uc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOpRL5qanyg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvJbRCGUuJ0

NPChilla
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:58 pm

Re: 'RARE REPLAY' and 'SEA OF THIEVES'

Postby NPChilla » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:35 am

Scrubber wrote:I'm nearing the end of viva pinata i reckon, what a wonderful game.

Loggo wrote:
NPChilla wrote:Here's a Rare Replay question:

You know how Rare has been putting extra videos up about other games on YT and the FB page about games which aren't in Rare Replay? Banjo-Tooie, Conker Gettin' Medieval and the like?

Will these eventually be added to the game in an update, do you think? Completionists would go mad for it!
Banjo-Tooie is already in Rare Replay.

As for the prototypes it depends on how far they got into development before they were cancelled. It looks like some of them are basically a collection of artwork and animations rather than actual games/demos.

Stuff like Sabreman Stampede or Twelve Tales would be great, though.

I think he/she just means the videos getting added to rare replay. Dont see the point myself.


Yes, I do mean that.

(I am a "he".) :)

The point would be for completionists - to have a complete story of Rare in the game (or as complete as they can have without Donkey Kong et al).


Return to “Community Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests