POLL: Best hot sauce?

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?

Which is the best hot sauce?

Tabasco
32%
Sriracha
18%
Cholula
5%
Frank's Red Hot
18%
Louisiana
No votes
Crystal
No votes
Texas Pete
No votes
Tapatio
9%
Other (please comment)
18%

Total votes: 22

Nanirourou

POLL: Best hot sauce?

Postby Nanirourou » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:56 pm

Living in the Southern United States and in a state where there are more hot sauce options than there are other condiments, discussions over which hot sauce is the best results in debates more divisive, polarized, and heated (pun intended) than console wars or opposing political parties could ever hope to be.

So I ask you: which is the one hot sauce to rule them all?

I compiled what seem to be the biggest contenders, but if your pepper paste of choice is not on this list please comment with the name & a picture of your sauce.

Last edited by Nanirourou on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
you kuh lady

dotEXE

Re: POLL: Best hot sauce?

Postby dotEXE » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:39 pm

My ability to handle spice is so, so low. I've gotta go with Cholula XD I'm excited for all the hot sauce elitists to come out though and talk about their favorite pure capsaicin sauce.
Make the forum great again.

Salty Joe

Postby Salty Joe » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:41 pm

I don't like spiciness at all. Nor am I particularly a fan of sauces.

I am awaiting my perma-ban for this post!

Limp, sweaty fries on the other hand... :twisted:
Last edited by Salty Joe on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Latikos

Postby Latikos » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:42 pm

I'll go with the Tabasco, I like it when my food is really spicy :)
(also it is the only sauce in this list that I've heard of and tasted ^^")

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:52 pm

I LOVE franks red hot sauce. Got two bottles in the cupboard.

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:54 pm

dotEXE wrote:My ability to handle spice is so, so low. I've gotta go with Cholula XD I'm excited for all the hot sauce elitists to come out though and talk about their favorite pure capsaicin sauce.
Salty Joe wrote:I don't like spiciness at all. Nor am I particularly a fan of sauces.

I am awaiting my perma-ban for this post!

Limp, sweaty fries on the other hand... :twisted:
Latikos wrote:I'll go with the Tabasco, I like it when my food is really spicy :)
(also it is the only sauce in this list that I've heard of and tasted ^^")
Scrubber wrote:I LOVE franks red hot sauce. Got two bottles in the cupboard.

Quoting y'all so you can re-vote. I just added an option to the poll I forgot to put in originally, and it reset the votes & got rid of yours.
you kuh lady

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:25 pm

Not a hot sauce exactly but Chipotle Southwest Sauce from subway is the nicest sauce in the world. I Always make sure my subway sandwiches are SWIMMING in it.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:29 pm

HEINZ!
Stop picking your nose Image

Glyph Reader

Postby Glyph Reader » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:31 pm

I am a big lover of hot sauces and anything spicy, but I haven't had many chances to taste hot sauces. All that I have had is Tabasco and Cholula.

Tabasco has a more vinegar taste, while Cholula is more of a spicy, but not a strong taste to it like Tabasco does.

I can't really decide what I like more... :?:

karashata

Postby karashata » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:31 am

I had to vote for Frank's Red Hot, of the two I have easy access to (Frank's and Tobasco) I prefer Frank's, and it tends to be much more cost-efficient the way I use it.

I've had Cholula-flavoured beef jerky and I certainly enjoyed it, I imagine I'd probably like it on other things if I could get my hands on a bottle but I haven't seen it available around here. Whether I'd prefer it over Frank's though, no idea.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:51 am

karashata wrote:I had to vote for Frank's Red Hot, of the two I have easy access to (Frank's and Tobasco) I prefer Frank's, and it tends to be much more cost-efficient the way I use it.

I'm in the same boat, those are usually what's available in New York and I like Frank's more.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:06 am

Glyph Reader wrote:I am a big lover of hot sauces and anything spicy, but I haven't had many chances to taste hot sauces. All that I have had is Tabasco and Cholula.

Tabasco has a more vinegar taste, while Cholula is more of a spicy, but not a strong taste to it like Tabasco does.

You have to try franks red hot it's delish.

I have a bottle of franks red hot and frsnks red hot wings, but I can't taste a difference?

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:20 am

You guys don't know what you are missing out on here!
Stop picking your nose Image

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:50 pm

Scrubber wrote:
Glyph Reader wrote:I am a big lover of hot sauces and anything spicy, but I haven't had many chances to taste hot sauces. All that I have had is Tabasco and Cholula.

I have a bottle of franks red hot and frsnks red hot wings, but I can't taste a difference?

In my opinion, Cholula is a little less burn-your-mouth hot and more flavorful. Red Hot is the same way, though both so certainly be to spicy if you overdo it. Tabasco is strong, and thusly good in small quantities, but any more than that and it overpowers all other flavors. The green jalapeño Tabasco is a lot better in that regard.

The Red Hot Wings sauce is supposed to have a buttery flavor to it, like a buffalo sauce. I can't tell enough of a difference between them either, but my dad swears by the Red Hot Wings sauce.
you kuh lady

Glyph Reader

Postby Glyph Reader » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:11 pm

Nanirourou wrote:
Scrubber wrote:

In my opinion, Cholula is a little less burn-your-mouth hot and more flavorful. Red Hot is the same way, though both so certainly be to spicy if you overdo it. Tabasco is strong, and thusly good in small quantities, but any more than that and it overpowers all other flavors. The green jalapeño Tabasco is a lot better in that regard.

The Red Hot Wings sauce is supposed to have a buttery flavor to it, like a buffalo sauce. I can't tell enough of a difference between them either, but my dad swears by the Red Hot Wings sauce.

I agree with your thoughts on Tabasco and Cholula.

At some point, I'm going to try and find these hot sauces to try out! That will definitely be an adventure.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:35 pm

I'm from the UK and haven't heard of most of these brands, but I coincidentally saw Sriracha in a store the other day and told my friend that I've always wanted to try it because I've heard that it's amazing. I never bought it though.

I love spicy food, but haven't really tried any hot sauce, unless you count spicy BBQ sauce which I'm literally addicted to. I really ought to pick up some Sriracha up some time.
Taylonic Ltd.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Taylor wrote:I'm from the UK and haven't heard of most of these brands, but I coincidentally saw Sriracha in a store the other day and told my friend that I've always wanted to try it because I've heard that it's amazing. I never bought it though.

I love spicy food, but haven't really tried any hot sauce, unless you count spicy BBQ sauce which I'm literally addicted to. I really ought to pick up some Sriracha up some time.

Do you ever order dominos? If so next time get some franks red hot wings and extra tub of franks ref hot to dip into. That's how I started off before buying it by the bottle. It's so tasty.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:51 pm

Nanirourou wrote:In my opinion, Cholula is a little less burn-your-mouth hot and more flavorful.

Totally agree. As a self-certified Spiciness Wuss, this is why I love Cholula.
Make the forum great again.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:44 pm

Isn't there a hot sauce that actually has ghost chili peppers, or one of the spiciest peppers ever, Carolina Reaper peppers?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

chameleojack

Postby chameleojack » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:06 am

"Uncle Dick's Red-Hot Cock Sauce"* never fails to put a fire in my belly! :P

Seriously, though, Sriracha, I can do awesome s* with it, usually involving mayo or Greek yogurt and mango salsa. I'll even offer you guys an awesome recipe of mine.

Ingredients:
2 tbspns Fage Plain Greek yogurt
1.5 tbspn Mrs Renfro's Mango Habanero Salsa
1.5 tspn Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
1 pinch ground Chipotle Chile Pepper
Instructions:
Mix until homogeneous (w/ Chipotle sprinkles). Use as nonfat dip or as sauce for chicken tacos. Note that substituting Mayo for Yogurt will give it more of a faintly cheesey flavor.

*yes, "cock sauce" really is another term for Sriracha, i.e. "Rooster Sauce".

Return to “Community Discussion”