Page 1 of 2

Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:34 am
by RareAware
Some may remember the failed kickstarter for a platformer called Clive N' Wrench. The character models have been redesigned and look much better than before. I didn't back this game, but might do so if they try again.

Image


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ELWTVQXRdk

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:01 am
by Scrubber
Gameplay looked TERRIBLE and some areas where a carbon copy of banjo kazooie. It failed for a reason.

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:23 pm
by Xellos
It still looks like a mediocre 3D platformer game from the sixth-generation era that flooded the market back then.

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:10 pm
by RareAware
It's not on the same level as Yooka-Laylee, but it does interest me enough to keep an eye on it. With time and improvements, they might be able to produce a decent platformer. My hopes aren't sky high, but I'm rooting for them. :)

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:14 pm
by John Enigma
It (still) needs a little bit more...

work.

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:40 am
by Nanirourou
I know they're just fans who want to pay homage to a game they loved, but...it just looks too much like a cheap Chinese knock off title to me. :? It's definitely better than it was, but I'm still not interested in it.

I could change my mind if they release compelling gameplay videos.

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:04 am
by wwwarea
Xellos wrote:It still looks like a mediocre 3D platformer game from the sixth-generation era that flooded the market back then.


Honestly I would rather have that than have no 3D platformers..

Anyway reaction to the OP thread:
I remember downloading an Alpha, and honestly either I'm so used to playing A Hat in Time or that the alpha really, and I mean really needed work..

As for this update, I like it much better. It looks more solid. They also had a video showing some grass effect.
I think this game is becoming more better than before, and as for what it is I think it's enough to help the genre revive.
And yes, I think this is meant to be inspired by Banjo Kazooie, which shouldn't be a surprise that some levels are inspired to me, but still new areas.

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:50 pm
by Rueckkoppler
It didn't really appeal to me due to the character designs and the overall quality (from what I've seen so far). But I've got to say: These guys are tough and keep going, no matter how many backlashes they get. If that's not the spirit... And the model looks much better and expressive now - even if it still needs some fine tuning :)

I don't like the name though...

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:15 pm
by dotEXE
Nanirourou wrote:It just looks too much like a cheap Chinese knock off title to me. It's definitely better than it was, but I'm still not interested in it.


Nailed it, 10/10, gold, etc. and so forth.
I admit I like the new look much more than the old one though. There's potential but the core facet - the gameplay in the game - is still a wide miss for me. They can work towards fixing that, but at what point is it no longer worth trying to force a failed title?

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:07 pm
by Gorjo
New video: https://youtu.be/UictHnv8pk8

It's the level seen in that pic in the first post of this thread, and there are some changes like a double jump.

I hope the jumping is as presice as this and the previous video (0:43) make it look. That would make the game really good and a lot of fun.

I'm not sure what's the point of the monkey. So far he makes the player glide but it doesn't seem like something the rabbit couldn't do by himself. The rabbit also uses the monkey to attack when spinning in the air, but it doesn't look safe for the monkey at all.

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:24 pm
by Rueckkoppler
Gorjo wrote:New video: https://youtu.be/UictHnv8pk8

It's the level seen in that pic in the first post of this thread, and there are some changes like a double jump.

I hope the jumping is as presice as this and the previous video (0:43) make it look. That would make the game really good and a lot of fun.

I'm not sure what's the point of the monkey. So far he makes the player glide but it doesn't seem like something the rabbit couldn't do by himself. The rabbit also seems to use the monkey to attack when spinning in the air, but it doesn't look safe for the monkey at all.


Yeah, they might ditch the monkey in favor of being different from B-K - otherwise, it looks too much like a knockoff. If they don't, they should at least change something about the gliding mechanic... it doesn't look that appealing to me & on top of that, it looks too much like the Deku Leaf in Wind Waker.

But on the bright side, you can really see that the devs are learning more and more about game development and -design. This video looks so much better than anything before!

Just compare the first gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTUrSmGM8Sc

to the most recent one: https://youtu.be/UictHnv8pk8

I will certainly try out a demo, if there will be another one for this build.

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:46 am
by rocho
The characters look waaaaaaaaaay better but the monkey looks like a doll or something.

Good to see them evolving like this, I mean as we have seen banjo wasn't a bear at first and a significant amount of changes were made to reach banjo's quality. I guess that if they have the time and resources to polish it more they might have something good to show.

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:46 am
by Gorjo
New update:
https://youtu.be/Z828gPpqzQ8

Does anybody know where to get the old demo/alpha? From before the recent redesign?

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:03 pm
by Nanirourou
Gorjo wrote:New update:
https://youtu.be/Z828gPpqzQ8

I'll admit, it looks more like an homage now, and less like a knock-off. Also knowing what we know now about Banjo's character originally being a rabbit, I like this a lot better now. Like the progress. I might pick it up when it's done!

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:20 am
by DWard14
Nanirourou wrote:
Gorjo wrote:New update:
https://youtu.be/Z828gPpqzQ8

I'll admit, it looks more like an homage now, and less like a knock-off. Also knowing what we know now about Banjo's character originally being a rabbit, I like this a lot better now. Like the progress. I might pick it up when it's done!

Wait, is that a stealth section? Yooka-Laylee NEEDS one of those.

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:08 am
by Bonkard
I hate to bump an old-ish thread, but I thought someone should mention the character redesigns are being done by Luigi Lucarelli, a member of this very forum!

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:48 am
by Rueckkoppler
Bonkard wrote:I hate to bump an old-ish thread, but I thought someone should mention the character redesigns are being done by Luigi Lucarelli, a member of this very forum!


Huh, really? Funny how many art-related-things in the 3D platforming scene come down to him! If you read this: Good work!

Anyway, the game looks even better now. Is this helicopter move his new 2nd/3rd jump? Instead of that Deku leaf thingy? I also like how wacky the fights look and sound.

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:47 pm
by Gorjo
New update! This time is an ancient Egypt level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m9akj5vwsE
Looking better and better, and I like these new enemies.

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:10 pm
by tomjscott
Despite the negative criticisms that this has gotten by earlier posters, I really like Clive 'n Wrench and think it's going to be an excellent game. I honestly prefer it over Yooka Laylee, which I think is more of a Banjo Kazooie knock-off. One of the reasons I prefer Clive 'n Wrench is because the developer started with nothing, never received funding, yet has persevered and made improvements every step of the way and didn't quit because of negative feedback. Whereas Playtonic slaps together a quick demo and has millions of dollars handed to them on a silver platter. I always saw crowd funding as a place where anyone can have a chance at raising money for their dream project, but instead it seems to only feed money to those who could easily, imho, get the money through traditional investment paths. And the poor little guy who needs the funds can't ever seem to get it.

Re: Clive N' Wrench Get A Makeover

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:15 pm
by Rueckkoppler
tomjscott wrote:Despite the negative criticisms that this has gotten by earlier posters, I really like Clive 'n Wrench and think it's going to be an excellent game. I honestly prefer it over Yooka Laylee, which I think is more of a Banjo Kazooie knock-off. One of the reasons I prefer Clive 'n Wrench is because the developer started with nothing, never received funding, yet has persevered and made improvements every step of the way and didn't quit because of negative feedback. Whereas Playtonic slaps together a quick demo and has millions of dollars handed to them on a silver platter. I always saw crowd funding as a place where anyone can have a chance at raising money for their dream project, but instead it seems to only feed money to those who could easily, imho, get the money through traditional investment paths. And the poor little guy who needs the funds can't ever seem to get it.


I wouldn't make this a "real" indie vs Playtonic thing, to be honest. Sure, it impresses me as well how they're continuing to make progress (despite so many failures), while Playtonic had the prestige of having big names on board. Of course they raise more money with that, but it must be said that the first demo of Yooka-Laylee looked VERY impressive for such a short development time - and superior than Clive 'n Wrench was in its first months. There are so many failed Kickstarter projects that it's just natural that people trust and support industry veterans instead of an unknown indie studio. That and the presentation of the very first build were reasons why Playtonic definitely deserved that success.

Anyway, I hope the guys behind Clive 'n Wrench keep going with this, it'll only make the 3D platforming comeback richer in variety.