List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
User avatar
bjaxx87
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:58 am

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby bjaxx87 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:20 am

Thanks again for all your support, my next update is in the works and it's gonna be a big one. ;) I already found that Wikipedia list last week and checked most of those games. Many will be added but some are just too far away from games like Banjo and Mario 64 (e.g. Mirror's Edge, the Jumping Flash! series or Maximo).

Yes, if a mod would agree to sticky this thread, I won't refuse! ;)

Barryisamuslim
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:06 am

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby Barryisamuslim » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:33 pm

Smash bros fits this category. It isn't a fighting game, just a platformer, don't know why people think it's a fighting game. Even back in 2003 on Shoryuken it was absolute conclusion by majority of members even moderators of smashboards and people who played that game that it wasn't a fighting game because by that logic power stone is, so yeah smash bros is fun as a 3d jump n run, which it rightfully is.

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:06 pm

Barryisamuslim wrote:Smash bros fits this category. It isn't a fighting game, just a platformer, don't know why people think it's a fighting game. Even back in 2003 on Shoryuken it was absolute conclusion by majority of members even moderators of smashboards and people who played that game that it wasn't a fighting game because by that logic power stone is, so yeah smash bros is fun as a 3d jump n run, which it rightfully is.


Nah, it is a fighting game with platforming elements (which most other, if not all other fighting games not have). The many ways to punch, hit & dodge your opponents already open up to a the pretty deep fighting system. And platforming (on all the different stages) only deepens that system.

John Enigma
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby John Enigma » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:00 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Barryisamuslim wrote:Smash bros fits this category. It isn't a fighting game, just a platformer, don't know why people think it's a fighting game. Even back in 2003 on Shoryuken it was absolute conclusion by majority of members even moderators of smashboards and people who played that game that it wasn't a fighting game because by that logic power stone is, so yeah smash bros is fun as a 3d jump n run, which it rightfully is.


Nah, it is a fighting game with platforming elements (which most other, if not all other fighting games not have). The many ways to punch, hit & dodge your opponents already open up to a the pretty deep fighting system. And platforming (on all the different stages) only deepens that system.
This. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, it also counts as 2.5D fighting games with platforming elements like you said.


@bjaxx87 Before you update the list, I think is time you made some changes. I think this list is no longer about 3D platformer Jump N' Runs. I think is about 3D platformer games in general. That's one. Two: to every game you list there (probably from Wikiepdia), you should try to add the game info like this example of Super Mario 64 DS:

Image
SUPER MARIO 64 DS
Developer: Nintendo EAD
Publisher: Nintendo
Console platform(s): NDS
Release date(s): November 21, 2004 (NA); December 2, 2004 (JP); February 24, 2005 (AUS); March 11, 2005 (EU)
THOSE WHO OWN THIS GAME: 1
THOSE WHO HAVE BEATEN THIS GAME: 1
Platforming: Yes
Open 3D worlds: Yes
Exploration-driven gameplay: Yes
Progress through collectibles: Yes
Learnable moves: Yes
Hub world/huge coherent world: Yes

If you have any questions, you can always PM me.

EDIT: Also, if you apply this patch to a 40 Winks proto cart ROM for the N64, it makes the game fully playable. The N64 version was completed, yet, like everyone says, it got cancelled for unknown reasons. Just sayin'. I don't even know if the rules of distributing apply here.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

User avatar
bjaxx87
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:58 am

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby bjaxx87 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:33 pm

Okay, I was forced to create a second thread. "Only" 60000 characters are allowed and I had more than 120000. ;) I added a lot of licensing garbage but also some forgotten gems, so have fun checking out the new list! :D

John Enigma wrote:@bjaxx87 Before you update the list, I think is time you made some changes. I think this list is no longer about 3D platformer Jump N' Runs. I think is about 3D platformer games in general. That's one. Two: to every game you list there (probably from Wikiepdia), you should try to add the game info like this example of Super Mario 64 DS:

Image
SUPER MARIO 64 DS
Developer: Nintendo EAD
Publisher: Nintendo
Console platform(s): NDS
Release date(s): November 21, 2004 (NA); December 2, 2004 (JP); February 24, 2005 (AUS); March 11, 2005 (EU)
THOSE WHO OWN THIS GAME: 1
THOSE WHO HAVE BEATEN THIS GAME: 1
Platforming: Yes
Open 3D worlds: Yes
Exploration-driven gameplay: Yes
Progress through collectibles: Yes
Learnable moves: Yes
Hub world/huge coherent world: Yes

Yeah, well, I might add something like that in the near future but this list is already more time consuming than I originally expected (and there's that character limit). :D I will think about this!

John Enigma wrote:Also, if you apply this patch to a 40 Winks proto cart ROM for the N64, it makes the game fully playable. The N64 version was completed, yet, like everyone says, it got cancelled for unknown reasons. Just sayin'. I don't even know if the rules of distributing apply here.

Yup, that's why I listed the leaked ROM next to the PSX version, it's fully playable! I will add a link to the list.

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:35 pm

bjaxx87 wrote:Okay, I was forced to create a second thread. "Only" 60000 characters are allowed and I had more than 120000. ;) I added a lot of licensing garbage but also some forgotten gems, so have fun checking out the new list! :D


Guys like you make these forums a true go-to place for fans of that genre - thank you! :mrgreen:

John Enigma
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby John Enigma » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Thank you so much for this. I'm so happy that this list got made. :mrgreen:

Now it almost feels complete. I don't know if you're updating the new list, but you forgot to add Spongebob Squarepants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman, some classic 3D platformer Nickelodeon games, all of the Nickelodeon mashup games, some Cartoon Network games (like Ed, Edd, & Eddy: The Mis-EDventures), and Disney's Treasure Planet (I have one for the PSX, but I don't know if it works). Wow! Damn, this list keeps growing.

Maybe I'm just asking to much, but I feel like this huge list deserves to be in some kind of blog, where it lists all of the 3D platformer games in alphabetical order. I might help you create that blog.
Last edited by John Enigma on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1412
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby Scrubber » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:37 pm

I want to play mystical ninja amd glover.

User avatar
bjaxx87
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:58 am

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby bjaxx87 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:57 pm

John Enigma wrote:Now it almost feels complete. I don't know if you're updating the new list, but you forgot to add Spongebob Squarepants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman, some classic 3D platformer Nickelodeon games, all of the Nickelodeon mashup games, some Cartoon Network games (like Ed, Edd, & Eddy: The Mis-EDventures), and Disney's Treasure Planet (I have one for the PSX, but I don't know if it works). Wow! Damn, this list keeps growing.

You really wanted me to add Dora the Explorer, huh? Well, there you go, 28 titles have been added! ;) There will always be some games missing, but I'll keep updating.

John Enigma wrote:Maybe I'm just asking to much, but I feel like this huge list deserves to be in some kind of blog, where it lists all of the 3D platformer games in alphabetical order. I might help you create that blog.

Actually that's a cool idea. Do you have any experience in blogging? I have seen many blogs hosted at Google's blogspot.com but I never created one.

Scrubber wrote:I want to play mystical ninja amd glover.

Nice, great choices! ;) Personally I'm very interested in checking out Haven: Call of the King, Legend of Kay Anniversary and the Jak & Daxter series. What I saw of those games while researching for the lists looked really nice!

John Enigma
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby John Enigma » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:01 pm

bjaxx87 wrote:Actually that's a cool idea. Do you have any experience in blogging? I have seen many blogs hosted at Google's blogspot.com but I never created one.
Actually, I don't have knowledge on building a blogspot of any kind either. That's why I thought you had the knowledge. If you did, I would've helped you. Plus, trying to put every game in that list is time-consuming.

Also, don't forget to put Kingsley's Adventure (PSX), America McGee's Alice, and Alice Madness Returns. If there are more I'll tell you.

Btw, how long do is take for you to sometimes answer? Nothing personal, I'm just askin'.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

WyvernWings
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:32 pm

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby WyvernWings » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:03 pm

Oi allo there! My first post!
My all time favourite games include Zelda: OOT, Ratchet and Clank series, Uncharted series and of course Banjo Kazooie/Tooie (and most other Rare games). To the topic at hand, I thought I'd register so I can help out a bit? I'm new here so lemme know if I mess up or anything. ;)
I've been hunting for some more obscure 3D platformers since Yooka Laylee's announcement, and I've found two more to confirm to the list, Duck Dodgers and Scaler.

Image
DAFFY DUCK STARRING AS DUCK DODGERS
(N64)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEEJUlSJ9xg (Gameplay starts at 2:31)
Platforming: Yes
Open 3D worlds: Yes
exploration-driven gameplay: Yes
progress through collectibles: Yes
learnable moves: No
hub world/huge coherent world: Yes

If you want more in-depth opinion, I used to rent it from the video shop about 10 years ago but didn't play it very much. I managed to track it down on eBay a week ago, and I just finished it for the first time. Pretty underrated, it holds up well for the average Platforming fan. I loved it!
It's definitely inspired by Banjo Kazooie. There are 5 levels, each with their own hub to run around and explore in. Searching around for Atoms (the Stars/Jiggies of this game) opens up more sections of the level to find even more Atoms. Beating the level boss unlocks the next level.
Controls are a bit loose, so it may take some time to adjust, but after some experience I found the platforming very satisfying.
The game is full of personality, from its cutscenes to Daffy's expressive animations and dialogue (performed by the late-great Joe Alaskey). Daffy even complains when you put the camera up close to his face. It's clear a lot of heart was put into the game's development.
There are no learnable moves, but there are plenty of powerups, minigames and puzzles for variety.
Duck Dodgers lasted me about 6-8 hours going for 100%. It barely innovates; it doesn't add anything new or noteworthy to the genre, but it's still fun. Not one of the best, but I really enjoyed my time with it. For a game based on licensed property, it really suprised and impressed me. Definitely hunt it down if you looking for a Yooka-Laylee substitute for the time being.


Image
SCALER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wew_xTkL3jk (Gameplay starts at 3:47)
(GCN/PS2/XBOX)
Platforming: Yes
Open 3D worlds: Yes
exploration-driven gameplay: Yes
progress through collectibles: Yes
learnable moves: Yes
hub world/huge coherent world: No

I bought this game for the PS2 from eBay for 10 bucks. Funnily enough, like Yooka-Laylee, this game also stars a chameleon! Well, a boy who was transformed into a chameleon anyway.
You select a level via world map, and run around jumping from thing to thing, beating lots of baddies, and collect giant lizard eggs to unlock more levels.
Scaler can punch, climb special walls, grind on rails and smack up things with his long tongue, and can also learn new abilities and upgrade some of them. He can also transform into 5 different creatures to pull off vastly different abilities, so Scaler's arsenal of moves is incredibly varied.
There's lots of fighting in this one. Punching the living daylights out of the common bad guy is satisfying, but the combat can get frustrating with the more powerful enemies.
In my opinion, the game is alright. Not great, but not bad. You can have lots of fun with it, but my main problem is the level design barely changes anything up. While all the levels may look different, they all carry the same formula, so there isn't much variety in terms of atmosphere and level design, so it can feel repetitive as a result. LOVED the game's soundtrack though.
I liked Duck Dodgers more, but Scaler gives you good enough value for its budget price (on the PS2 anyway). Quite a long game too. Will last you 2 weeks or more. It's a decent game, so give it a try.

Did I do good? :D

User avatar
bjaxx87
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:58 am

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby bjaxx87 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:51 am

John Enigma wrote:Actually, I don't have knowledge on building a blogspot of any kind either. That's why I thought you had the knowledge. If you did, I would've helped you. Plus, trying to put every game in that list is time-consuming.

I don't think it's too hard, I managed to create a blog at Blogspot, but I didn't have time to really fill it with any content yet. When I'm bored I will try to add some games and think about a good way to list them.

John Enigma wrote:Also, don't forget to put Kingsley's Adventure (PSX), America McGee's Alice, and Alice Madness Returns. If there are more I'll tell you.

I already added those shortly after your post, thanks again!

John Enigma wrote:Btw, how long do is take for you to sometimes answer? Nothing personal, I'm just askin'.

Usually I'm checking the forums in the morning when I'm at work (I live in Germany, so it's UTC+01:00). If there's something I have to say, this is when I reply ;).

WyvernWings wrote:Oi allo there! My first post!

Welcome! :)

WyvernWings wrote:Did I do good? :D

Very good! Reviews like that are a nice addition to this thread. It helps to sort the wheat from the chaff. ;) I have some memories of reading about Duck Dodgers and being interested in it but back in the day I had to really think about which games I spent my money on. At the end of 2000 I was still obsessively playing Perfect Dark, I think. ;) So thanks a lot, I will check it out!

WyvernWings
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:32 pm

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby WyvernWings » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:32 pm

Very good! Reviews like that are a nice addition to this thread. It helps to sort the wheat from the chaff.


No worries!
Reviews take a while for me to write, so I don't think I'll do them all the time, but I was enthusiastic about Duck Dodgers, so I had to write about it and get the word out.

I was wondering, would Okami qualify for the list? I mean, it's technically an action adventure inspired by Zelda, but there's still lots of platforming and exploration in that game too, with jumping, running around, creating lily pads to hop on to, all that good stuff.

User avatar
bjaxx87
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:58 am

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby bjaxx87 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:07 pm

WyvernWings wrote:I was wondering, would Okami qualify for the list? I mean, it's technically an action adventure inspired by Zelda, but there's still lots of platforming and exploration in that game too, with jumping, running around, creating lily pads to hop on to, all that good stuff.

Yeah, why not. While it's a Zelda clone it also contains platforming (Link usually can't even jump), so I added Okami and Okamiden. Thanks! ;)

John Enigma
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby John Enigma » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:33 pm

bjaxx87 wrote:
WyvernWings wrote:I was wondering, would Okami qualify for the list? I mean, it's technically an action adventure inspired by Zelda, but there's still lots of platforming and exploration in that game too, with jumping, running around, creating lily pads to hop on to, all that good stuff.

Yeah, why not. While it's a Zelda clone it also contains platforming (Link usually can't even jump), so I added Okami and Okamiden. Thanks! ;)
Does Small Soldiers count?

EDIT: Make sure that you stay logged in the whole time, fam. That way, you don't get logged out everytime you come here.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Pearcinator
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:11 am

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby Pearcinator » Sun May 29, 2016 2:04 am

This game fits all the criteria. It's also pretty good too! I remember loving this game!

Image

User avatar
Karate Joe
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:22 pm

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby Karate Joe » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:54 am

Image
SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS: BATTLE FOR BIKINI BOTTOM
Developer: Heavy Iron Studios
Publisher: THQ
Console platform(s): GCN, XBOX, PS2
Release date(s): October 31, 2003 (NA), November 28, 2003 (EU)
Platforming: For sure, it's a pure platformer
Open 3D worlds: Yes, the levels are more linear in structure than Banjo games but you can get around them quite easily. Every level is a donut with branches more or less, with a few exceptions like the Mermalair.
Exploration-driven gameplay: Yes.
Progress through collectibles: Yes, shiny things are needed to open gates and spatulas are needed to unlock levels.
Learnable moves: Yes, after each major boss.
Hub world/huge coherent world: Yes, which expands over time.

Piet
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:31 am

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby Piet » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:45 pm

Is there a (good) 3D-platformer (collectathon) available for the N3DS?
Ik really want to play a nice platformer on the 3DS...

John Enigma
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: List of true open-world 3D Jump 'n' Runs

Postby John Enigma » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 pm

I wonder...

Whatever happened to this list?
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"


Return to “Community Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron