Xbox One to be MS's last "true" console, Phil Spencer hints

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
NPChilla

Xbox One to be MS's last "true" console, Phil Spencer hints

Postby NPChilla » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:07 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... e-hardware

Xbox and PC divisions of Microsoft are merging, Xbox One will seemingly become an upgradeable PC-style machine designed for UWAs.
What a development.

EDIT: To clarify: by "true" console, I mean that it seems that Xboxes will be upgradeable PC-style machines from now on, rather than home consoles as we know them.

John Enigma

Re: Xbox One to be MS's last "true" console, Phil Spencer hints

Postby John Enigma » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:35 pm

So it has come to this. Xbox One might the last Xbox console from M$ ever, in favor of PC.

Looks I better get ready for the PC Master Race when that time comes. (If I had the money.)
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:52 pm

If that means that I'll be able to enjoy Rare games on my computer, I'm fine with this. Although it's a bit sad that they're moving away from the formula of classic consoles...

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:14 pm

^ At least they're not getting rid of the Xbox controllers (Xbox 360, and Xbox One). Those peripherals are a must for every PC gamer.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

CyanideInsanity

Postby CyanideInsanity » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:41 pm

With their current push of exclusives to pc(quantum break and gears of war ultimate edition) I'm hoping that this IS microsoft coming through on their promise to take pc gaming seriously, and that they do it right. So far its not been amazing, but they are acknowledging this. I'm just hoping they can turn the windows store into an proper competitor to steam and origin. Though I do wonder how their console side will fair. Consoles do have their place as the "pnp" gaming machines, as well as getting what I suppose you could call 'extended' support.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:50 pm

CyanideInsanity wrote:With their current push of exclusives to pc(quantum break and gears of war ultimate edition) I'm hoping that this IS microsoft coming through on their promise to take pc gaming seriously, and that they do it right. So far its not been amazing, but they are acknowledging this. I'm just hoping they can turn the windows store into an proper competitor to steam and origin.

Here's a comment that I posted in a PC Gamer article, regarding Phil Spencer and his stance on PC gaming:

I'll be interested if AND ONLY IF, Microsoft decides to separate ALL of the games that are in the Windows Store, and decides to put them in a Steam/GOG.com-like app called Windows Game Store, and Microsoft has to give everybody the freedom to actually distribute and port their games trough the WGS app.

At least that's what I would want.

I would also love that in a future Rare would finally release Rare Replay to PC.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

CyanideInsanity

Postby CyanideInsanity » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:00 pm

John Enigma wrote:Here's a comment that I posted in a PC Gamer article, regarding Phil Spencer and his stance on PC gaming:

I'll be interested if AND ONLY IF, Microsoft decides to separate ALL of the games that are in the Windows Store, and decides to put them in a Steam/GOG.com-like app called Windows Game Store, and Microsoft has to give everybody the freedom to actually distribute and port their games trough the WGS app.

At least that's what I would want.

I would also love that in a future Rare would finally release Rare Replay to PC.

That's what I'm hoping they do. The windows store as is, is basically nothing more than the unfortunately shoddy mobile stores we have now... Unlike a lot of others I don't mind MS using their own store to avoid fees incurred by selling on another platform, as long as it isn't garbage, like uplay was for me a year ago. And yeah, maybe one day we'll see rare replay over here. Though more importantly for me, maybe we'll get more than a russian exclusive f2p halo back on pc too.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:07 pm

If this goes well, that could be Microsoft's niche in gaming secured for ever - they offer one machine which can be upgraded as the consumer wishes on a universal OS. A bit like Apple, except with just one machine to sell.

If this goes badly and ends up the new Games for Windows, then there's no way Microsoft would recover in the eyes of gamers.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:23 pm

I'm all for this. Console exclusivity does nothing except limit what games any given gamer can play and require overpriced and underpowered parts that get outdated a tenth of the way into their lifespan. I look forward to the day Sony and Nintendo follow suit.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Return to “Community Discussion”