Microsoft to axe Lionhead Studios

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
NPChilla

Microsoft to axe Lionhead Studios

Postby NPChilla » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:32 pm

Fable Legends has been cancelled completely and Lionhead is for the chop.

http://www.pcgamer.com/fable-legends-is ... aign=pcgfb

I wonder how long Rare has before it suffers the same fate?

EDIT: Microsoft is also shutting down Press Play, a Danish studio.

John Enigma

Re: Microsoft to axe Lionhead Studios

Postby John Enigma » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:00 pm

NPChilla wrote:I wonder how long Rare has before it suffers the same fate?
Let's wait until they unveil Sea of Thieves, and probably Young Conker. (But let's look forward for Sea of Thieves, 'cause Young Conker doesn't exist.)

If it's succesful, is gonna be Rare's money maker. If it's gonna fail miserably, bye bye Rare. It was nice knowing ya. Thanks for all those wonderful years.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:11 pm

Why doesn't that surprise me? Oh wait, I know why. It's because Microsoft did this once before with Ensemble Studios, and will do it again to any other company under their wing in the event of failure in delivering any sustainable results.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:52 pm

John Enigma wrote:
NPChilla wrote:I wonder how long Rare has before it suffers the same fate?
Let's wait until they unveil Sea of Thieves, and probably Young Conker. (But let's look forward for Sea of Thieves, 'cause Young Conker doesn't exist.)

If it's succesful, is gonna be Rare's money maker. If it's gonna fail miserably, bye bye Rare. It was nice knowing ya. Thanks for all those wonderful years.

I suspect you're right - Rare has had a LOT of commercial failures over the past decade or more for Microsoft. If Sea of Thieves dies a death, Microsoft is likely going to axe Rare as well.

The recent news that Microsoft is merging the Xbox and PC divisions into one entity lends credence to this - Microsoft is clearly tidying itself up (to coin a euphemism).

Operationgamer17

Postby Operationgamer17 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:52 pm

Microsoft has issued the following statement to IGN.

"We aren’t sharing additional details today beyond that we have ceased development on Fable Legends, and are in discussions with employees at Lionhead about our proposed closure of the studio as well."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03/07/ ... -knoxville

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:48 pm

If you don't want this to happen to Rare then SUPPORT Sea of Thieves.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:57 pm

Scrubber wrote:If you don't want this to happen to Rare then SUPPORT Sea of Thieves.
But we don't know what Sea of Thieves MIGHT END UP BEING.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:38 pm

John Enigma wrote:
Scrubber wrote:If you don't want this to happen to Rare then SUPPORT Sea of Thieves.
But we don't know what Sea of Thieves MIGHT END UP BEING.

I have to agree with John - Sea of Thieves might end up absolute dross.

If that is indeed one failure too many for Rare, then it's been a long time coming.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:41 am

One thing we do know is it has fukc all to do with kinect or sports so we should be supporting it.

It's a genuine attempt to return to glory. That's good enough for me.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:16 am

Scrubber wrote:One thing we do know is it has fukc all to do with kinect or sports so we should be supporting it.

It's a genuine attempt to return to glory. That's good enough for me.

And it's coming to PC / Windows 10, for anybody without a XBOX One. So there's a chance I'll be able to play it on Bootcamp, if my MacBook's strong enough.

Anna

Postby Anna » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:40 pm

I have in the past been a bit of a borderline Microsoft apologist, to some extent, but this kind of thing is really straining my sympathy for them. Fable Legends seemed almost complete, and was actually pretty fun, if not the game Fable IP fans wanted (sounds familiar...) Not sure why they wouldn't just go ahead and release it, and then continue balance changes and updates as all the other online multiplayer games do (e.g. all the MOBAs).

This sentence in particular, from the original press release on the Xbox website, really bothers/annoys me: "These changes are taking effect as Microsoft Studios continues to focus its investment and development on the games and franchises that fans find most exciting and want to play." Oh, okay, I guess that's why you're systematically killing off the things you have that are interesting and doubling down on the things that don't interest me in the slightest. :roll:
No, not all Xbox owners are dudebros who love grey-and-brown PvP FPSes. Please feel free to quit stereotyping now.

Operationgamer17

Postby Operationgamer17 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:49 pm

Apparently, Lionhead didn't know they were going down. http://gamingbolt.com/lionhead-studios- ... -shut-down

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:31 pm

Operationgamer17 wrote:Apparently, Lionhead didn't know they were going down. http://gamingbolt.com/lionhead-studios- ... -shut-down
Wow. Talk about a di** move from Microsoft.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:12 am

Yeah it's out of order that. They should have just released the game and made their decision afterwards. All that hard work for nothing must be devastating.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:40 pm

In the past couple of weeks, Microsoft has been making some VERY surprising decisions, each of which will have ramifications for a long time to come:

*Using Young Conker to sell its Hololens device (the success of which is still VERY much in the air).
*Announcing the merger of the Xbox and PC divisions, plus the revelation that Xbox One will likely be the last Microsoft console as we know it with future exclusives being shared across PC and Xbox (plus UMP as the future priority for gaming).
*Axing Lionhead and Press Play, plus the offhand revelation that all Kinect teams are dead as well (i.e. Big Park, [Fun]tion, Good Science, Leap Experience Pioneers and SOTA).

http://www.gamesradar.com/more-microsof ... -canned-2/

Not wanting to sound like a conspiracist, but could this be Microsoft winding things up in case the UMP dies a terrible death (a la Games for Windows)? As in if this fails, that's it for Microsoft gaming.
Aside from Rare, there's not much left at all in terms of first-party development studios for Microsoft - for one of the big three, that's alarming.

Bonkard

Postby Bonkard » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:17 pm

I've always enjoyed the Fable series, despite the flaws of its sequels. I consider Lost Chapters to be one of my favorite RPGs of all time, so this news does leave a bitter taste.

That said, this doesn't surprise me in the least. The moment Molyneux went the way of the buffalo, I knew Fable wasn't going anywhere as a series. Lionhead was essentially 'the Fable studio,' so with Fable's brain-father gone, I couldn't see it continuing the way it had been.

I don't blame Molyneux for leaving. But I do blame the potential closure on his absence. Now they'll either gut the company and turn it into a Kinect Sports 2.0 factory, or we can wave bye-bye to the promise of a Fable 7. (Something Peter actually suggested would happen in an old interview)

In short, sad but expected. You can't devote a studio to making one semi-successful game series and expect it to survive under Microsoft's watch.

Edit: Haha, apparently Sony is offering to hire Lionhead staff over to their side!

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:02 pm

Bonkard wrote:Edit: Haha, apparently Sony is offering to hire Lionhead staff over to their side!

...Only to axe Evolution Studios one week later. Sony's clearly as bad as Microsoft, the fuss made of the job offerings to defenestrated Lionhead staff was to score cheap points.

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:12 am

NPChilla wrote:
Bonkard wrote:Edit: Haha, apparently Sony is offering to hire Lionhead staff over to their side!

...Only to axe Evolution Studios one week later. Sony's clearly as bad as Microsoft, the fuss made of the job offerings to defenestrated Lionhead staff was to score cheap points.
This whole thing makes me laugh, I swear.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:12 am

And now Lionhead is officially dead as of today.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... um=twitter

Return to “Community Discussion”