How in the world can a Rare/Ninty fan justify an XBone?

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Meinhard1

How in the world can a Rare/Ninty fan justify an XBone?

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:11 am

Lately I've been eying up Rare Replay and Sea of Thieves, both of which I'll surely need to play eventually. The problem is that outside of these Xbox One games *seem* primarily Bro-shooters, Bro-action RPGs, sports games, car sims, and multiplats. (Am I mistaken?)
I'm not trying to sound like a hater, but my tastes *as a Nintendo/Rare fan* would seemingly translate much better to PS4 (great indie games like Towerfall, Journey, The Witness; platformers like Rachet and Clank, Little Big Planet; strong first party titles: The Last of Us HD, The Last Guardian).

If you own an Xbox One, what are you playing? Can't escape the feeling that Rare games don't fit on this system.

GrayMagicΓ

Re: How in the world can a Rare/Ninty fan justify an XBone?

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu May 05, 2016 1:45 am

KI3's pretty great, and nobody's forcing you to buy every game on the system.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu May 05, 2016 2:14 am

Right, right. Rare Replay already includes a ton of games, and Sea of Thieves will be a social and replayable experience.
I can't be the only Rare fan who has struggled in deciding whether to purchase an Xbox, though...
Looking at the top Metacritic titles, the games I would play are multiplats which a) I either already own on the Wii U, or b) are reportedly better on the PS4.

Hm. KI is that Rare franchise I never played as a kid.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu May 05, 2016 8:14 pm

You can't be much of a fan. I preordered an xbox one the second rare replay was announced. Project Spark is tons of fun and features Conker. Sea of Thieves will be awesome and Rare Replay has THIRTY games which is worth it alone im my opinion.

I highly recommend Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb raider. They are excellent.
Unravel is downloadable platformer and it is stunning in every way.
The Walking Dead series is also cool.

Recore that's coming out sometime this year looks promising and I'm also looking forward to Homefront Revolution, Mirrors Edge Catalyst and South Park Fractured but Whole.

djfuts

Postby djfuts » Sat May 07, 2016 10:32 pm

Couldn't agree more with op. Not a shoot em up fan bar Goldeneye. I looked on ign top 25 games for Xbox and can honestly say nothing else appealed. Thing is us platform fans of the early Nintendo to N64 era seem to be a dying breed and only indie games seem to cater to our needs. Considered buying an Xbox since 2002 but never done it. That said Wii u games have been so disappointing that I really have lost all faith in Nintendo. Not sure I will ever buy another console for myself, only if I can invest late on knowing I can sell it on again for no loss!

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Wed May 18, 2016 2:54 am

Right there with you. I still have most the games in the Replay on me, and even some I'd rather play that it doesn't include like Conker Live and Reloaded (yep, one of the weirdos who prefer that one). On top of that, my PC is semi-beefy and there's nothing I want on the Xbox One that I wouldn't be better off maximizing on my PC.

The Halo anniversary almost pulled me in just for Halo 2, as that is the only one I have an emotional attachment to, but I tried it out with friends and the online activity is either abysmal or the matchmaking is obscenely bad.

Even Project Spark is on PC, and it just got killed off. In my eyes, there is less justification for a PC gamer to own an XBone than a Wii U, but I can admit there's some bias in there.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun May 22, 2016 4:55 am

lavamario wrote:Right there with you. I still have most the games in the Replay on me, and even some I'd rather play that it doesn't include like Conker Live and Reloaded (yep, one of the weirdos who prefer that one). On top of that, my PC is semi-beefy and there's nothing I want on the Xbox One that I wouldn't be better off maximizing on my PC.

The Halo anniversary almost pulled me in just for Halo 2, as that is the only one I have an emotional attachment to, but I tried it out with friends and the online activity is either abysmal or the matchmaking is obscenely bad.

Even Project Spark is on PC, and it just got killed off. In my eyes, there is less justification for a PC gamer to own an XBone than a Wii U, but I can admit there's some bias in there.

Even Sea of Thieves is coming to Windows 10, so there's that...

Natsu

Postby Natsu » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:43 am

I bought the XBone Day 1 because of the Killer Instinct reboot. To me, there was just as much hype behind it as there was for a Banjo-Kazooie 3. And the hype has definitely lived up to my expectations. KI 3 is absolutely amazing in so many ways and the game just keeps improving.

For me, that alone was worth the XBone as my main console. The Rare Replay was just icing on the cake. But I thoroughly enjoyed replaying BK, BT, JFG, and PD. I also never got a chance to play Blast Corps (amazing game), PD0, Viva Pinata (very enjoyable), Kameo, Ghoulies, Nuts and Bolts, and most of those older arcade games. Also the original KI is bundled with KI 3. I just don't see how the Xbox one isn't the definitive go-to console for any Rare fan. I personally moved to Xbox long ago whenever C: L&R first launched with the original Xbox. All my friends played this system anyways, and the interfaces of it feel great to me most of the time. (They occasionally experiment with the interface and things feel awkward).

As I look through my game library, nothing besides KI 3 (not technically a Rare game but it feels like KI Gold but better) and Rare Replay are Xbox exclusive. But Rare Replay has a lot to offer, and I've gotten even more hours out of KI 3. I guess it comes down to just how much of a Killer Instinct fan you are. And my games library doesn't look particularly "dudebro" at all. I don't know where that stereotype comes from because it seems like most of the games like CoD and Battlefield are multi-platform.

One other thing, I'm not sure if PS4 or Wii does this, but Xbox has a "games with gold" thing. It lets Gold subscription members download certain games for free. Lately I've been playing a lot of Peggle, Super Meat Boy, and Goat Simulator which were the recently featured games.

Edit: Just saw that you never played KI before. I guess it comes down to whether you're willing to take the chance that Rare doesn't produce anything great in the next few years for the xbone. You seem to have an interest in some of the PS4 exclusives, so it seems like that may be the system for you outside Replay, SoT, and anything in the future Rare makes. I personally have absolutely no interest in anything that's on the PS4 so I don't really have that weighing me down. I'm not really a Nintendo fan; solely a Rare fan. I think the last good game Nintendo made for a console was SSBM. The only thing I touch from Nintendo now is Fire Emblem and occasionally Pokemon, which are both on DS.

Return to “Community Discussion”