Grant's Secret Project ... [link]

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
dotEXE

Grant's Secret Project ... [link]

Postby dotEXE » Thu May 26, 2016 9:24 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/BanjoKazooie/c ... oject_hes/

I don't want to get my hopes back up but... could be interesting. He answered no to every question but specifically didn't respond to Banjo Kazooie 3. I bet MS has their eyes open after the success of YL and Rare Replay. Could be?

pls no cars
Make the forum great again.

Taylor

Re: Grant's Secret Project ... [link]

Postby Taylor » Thu May 26, 2016 11:36 pm

Well, I'll tell you this... Microsoft and Rare would be absolutely incredibly utterly stupid not to make a Banjo 3. Look at the interest Yooka-Laylee has for crying out loud.

It's a no brainer. If Banjo 3 isn't in production, they are surely delusional. Sitting on a goldmine.
Taylonic Ltd.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri May 27, 2016 5:47 am

What's an NDA... And who would make the game XD?

Idunno, mixed feelings really. Love BK/BT but for that reason I have doubts about it. It's like an Italian pasta made by the french. It's just not what it's supposed to be.

Unless... Playtonic would assist!
Stop picking your nose Image

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri May 27, 2016 9:18 am

I presumed it meant something along the lines of 'No Disclosure Agreement'. I guessed by the context. Basically he can't tell anyone about the project.

Despite what I said about the goldmine, I also have my doubts about a new Banjo platformer, to be honest. I actually find myself liking Yooka-Laylee more; Banjo's abilities are admitedly quite sluggish nowadays, just as parodied in Nuts & Bolts. Even with talon trot, Yooka and Laylee just seem so much more fluid to me -- not to mention fresh and exciting.

However, Banjo was a huge part of my childhood, so I will stand by that Rare need to make Banjo 3. Preferably following on from Tooie story-wise... and hopefully re-exploring old levels back in the lair/Isle O' Hags, as well as brand new areas connected to them.

I actually think the most sensible thing to do would be a rehaul of the whole series to introduce it to kids. Maybe a HD remake of Banjo-Kazooie with significant additions and changes to make it fresh, but extremely nostalgic. Hmm...

(I'm not really thinking this through, just rambling).
Taylonic Ltd.

MattUmby

Postby MattUmby » Fri May 27, 2016 12:37 pm

If they DO make a Banjo-Threeie game, then it might end up quite dissimilar to the originals. How many of the old gang left for Playtonic, again? I'd say it was a fair majority.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri May 27, 2016 3:42 pm

On one hand, I'd really like to have a hypothetical Banjo-Threeie to close off the Banjo series with a bang. But on the other hand - with only a few people left who had any involvement with making BK and BT at Rare Ltd, the odds are against it from reaching the same quality standard as the original two Banjo games are. Because it is usually the case that when a new team works on an IP they have never worked on before, it pales in comparison to its predecessor like The Darkness 2 or Fear 3 is. I think it's better for Rare Ltd to remake BK and BT from the ground up, with minimal adjustments here and there like they did with Conker: Live & Reloaded, before they take a shot at "Banjo-Threeie". In order to see how well a 3D platformer exclusively for the Xbox One would fare.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Fri May 27, 2016 5:09 pm

Not holding my breath. This IS Microsoft after all.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri May 27, 2016 10:40 pm

Undeniable proof:

Taylonic Ltd.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sat May 28, 2016 4:14 am

Taylor wrote:I presumed it meant something along the lines of 'No Disclosure Agreement'. I guessed by the context. Basically he can't tell anyone about the project.

While that's clearly the case here, just to clarify: NDAs wildly vary in what they allow for. Specific topics may be taboo, revealing things indirectly may be allowed while screenshots and other direct methods, etc.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat May 28, 2016 7:03 pm

Xellos wrote:I think it's better for Rare Ltd to remake BK and BT from the ground up, with minimal adjustments here and there like they did with Conker: Live & Reloaded, before they take a shot at "Banjo-Threeie". In order to see how well a 3D platformer exclusively for the Xbox One would fare.

That's probably the best way to go for Rare. I can imagine that if they get the hang for it by remaking the first two games, they might be able to pull off a worthy Banjo-Threeie. And it HAS to be named that way. They could also have some contributors from Playtonic (and Grant Kirkhope), if they want to.

Speaking of which, I asked Grant on Twitter whether his secret project is indeed a game (it obviously is) and if it might be revealed at E3. Grant said no, but doesn't rule out future E3s as a occasion! E3 does show off many game projects from smaller to AAA, but it at least sounds like this is a bigger one. Let's wait and see!

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun May 29, 2016 2:37 pm

I saw this as it went down on Twitter. I also noticed Grant reacted to each tweet APART from the Banjo ones.

I don't know if we should think anything of it to be honest remember all the "evidence" last year?

This year is the first year in ages that I'm looking forward tk e3 and NOT expecting Banjo. I don't wanna start getting my hopes up again.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon May 30, 2016 8:07 pm

Scrubber wrote:I saw this as it went down on Twitter. I also noticed Grant reacted to each tweet APART from the Banjo ones.

I don't know if we should think anything of it to be honest remember all the "evidence" last year?

This year is the first year in ages that I'm looking forward tk e3 and NOT expecting Banjo. I don't wanna start getting my hopes up again.

Well he reacted to Taylor's gibberish-written "question". I don't bother to get my hopes up because Yooka-Laylee, especially since it would panic me into buying a XBOX One...

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue May 31, 2016 2:33 am

Someone asked him a few days ago to like their tweet if he is not working on Banjo 3 in any way, and Grant did like it.

So...

Who knows. The mystery thickens.
Taylonic Ltd.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue May 31, 2016 9:26 am

Taylor wrote:Someone asked him a few days ago to like their tweet if he is not working on Banjo 3 in any way, and Grant did like it.

So...

Well that's that then. What could it be though that is important enough to have an NDA?

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue May 31, 2016 4:15 pm

Scrubber wrote:
Taylor wrote:Someone asked him a few days ago to like their tweet if he is not working on Banjo 3 in any way, and Grant did like it.

So...

Well that's that then. What could it be though that is important enough to have an NDA?

Literally any possible video game, NDAs are standard for all roles in game development.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Operationgamer17

Postby Operationgamer17 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:03 am

We probably know what the "secret project" is.
https://www.twitter.com/grantkirkhope/s ... 5393212416

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:03 pm

Taylor wrote:Well, I'll tell you this... Microsoft and Rare would be absolutely incredibly utterly stupid not to make a Banjo 3. Look at the interest Yooka-Laylee has for crying out loud.

It's a no brainer. If Banjo 3 isn't in production, they are surely delusional. Sitting on a goldmine.

This... This is the best situation description I ever read. :idea:

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:21 pm

Taylor wrote:Undeniable proof:

Please, PLEASE, don't get my hopes up...

Banjo-Kaizo

Postby Banjo-Kaizo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:22 am

Operationgamer17 wrote:We probably know what the "secret project" is.
https://www.twitter.com/grantkirkhope/s ... 5393212416

Nope. It's a red herring, he's been talking about his involvement in DropZone since April:

https://twitter.com/grantkirkhope/statu ... 5314171909

(By red herring I mean he liked the tweet asking if DropZone was the secret project)

Certainly not something that would warrant such a rigid NDA. Besides, someone already asked if the new project was a new IP and he said he couldn't even disclose that.

The most he's gone in detail about it was the first time he announced his involvement, on the Sound Architect last August:

https://soundcloud.com/thesoundarchitec ... pe#t=35:58

I imagine if it is Banjo (and trust me that's a major, major 'if'), then by the sound of it Microsoft initally only wanted him to do a few tracks, then it shifted to him becoming the main composer on the project; that'd be the most likely explanation for him thinking it would be 'a kind of medium-sized project' at the start.

And the biggest argument against this being Banjo, is that when this interview first released, someone had apparently messaged him on Facebook and directly asked him if that was the case, to which he flat out said 'no'. But now that he's being the biggest tease you could be in a situation like this, I'm not so sure.

(Also, nice forum, glad to have made an account here)

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:10 pm

Microsoft and Rare wouldn't bother bringing in freelancers when they have Robin Beanland.

It isn't Banjo.

Return to “Community Discussion”