Playtonic's next project

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Alucard

Re: Playtonic's next project

Postby Alucard » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:55 am

Project Urchin would be cool as well as spiritual successors to all of the other Rare titles like DKC, CBFD, Goldeneye/Perfect Dark etc. And I am really done with the Banjo-Kazooie series ... for me the real third part of the series is Yooka-Laylee. Microsoft just destroyed this wonderful series and even if they wanted to make a BK game again I dont really want to buy an xbox one console just to play one game I really want to play.

Another thing what playtonic games could also do is a smiliar game like StarFox with great multiplayer splitscreen action. Animal pilots in a world war one setting mixed with dieselpunk influences, flying red baron airplanes and make dogfights just AWESOME! PLEASE

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:50 am

This exclusivity of 2nd party devs should have its limits tbh. Now that porting to Switch became much easier, it would make more sense for Rare to port to that system as well, at least specific titles that'll just perform well with the Nintendo audience. I also doubt that a new classic Banjo game would be a system seller. No, most XBone owners probably don't know about Rare at all.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:30 pm

ericcole_hn wrote:1. Donkey Kong Country
2. Donkey Kong 64
3. Sequel Yooka-Laylee

Isn't Donkey Kong 64 just Banjo-Kazooie with more collectables? ...Well, I guess not exactly, since you can switch between characters...

Either way, even though Playtonic said characters in Yooka-Laylee might star in their own games, I DO hope they'll still create entirely new casts of characters, with other Yooka-Laylee getting cameos at most.

Thrix

Postby Thrix » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:13 am

I really want to see Tooka-Laylee and that Perfect Dark and Diddy Kong racing successor at some point but I also want to just see what the team can do without any expectations. With Yooka-Laylee, the team's creativity was somewhat bound by the past and what people expected of them and, having delivered on that, they're now free to try something new. I don't want Playtonic to become the company that "just makes new versions of old Rare games". Let them try on something new where there are no creative hindrances.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:36 am

Thrix wrote:. I don't want Playtonic to become the company that "just makes new versions of old Rare games". Let them try on something new where there are no creative hindrances.

Agree.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:27 pm

Thrix wrote:I really want to see Tooka-Laylee and that Perfect Dark and Diddy Kong racing successor at some point but I also want to just see what the team can do without any expectations. With Yooka-Laylee, the team's creativity was somewhat bound by the past and what people expected of them and, having delivered on that, they're now free to try something new. I don't want Playtonic to become the company that "just makes new versions of old Rare games". Let them try on something new where there are no creative hindrances.

Yep, they should go "their" way of doing things. Just like they did back then. Look at the current standard of video games and think about what they could do differently or just better with their own unique twist. That's what I'd like. Even though I'm pretty sure I'm going to like Yooka-Laylee once I played it, I wish them to bring that one game that really shows everybody and not only us nostalgic morons :)

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:23 pm

It'll be interesting to see if they use the same base they've built up on top of Unity, or go a new direction for engine/style/models/etc.
Make the forum great again.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:22 am

dotEXE wrote:It'll be interesting to see if they use the same base they've built up on top of Unity, or go a new direction for engine/style/models/etc.

With Nintendo supporting Unreal now, I'd like if they move to that engine. Seems to work much better from what I noticed so far.

iameatingjam

Postby iameatingjam » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:33 am

I created an account just to say spiritual successor to perfect dark. I feel like platonic may be hesitant to do something like this because of competition in the fps market. But NO FPS i have played since perfect dark was as repayable. FPS these days play through once and your done. Perfect dark made multiple difficulties, with extra objectives and bonus levels and cheats. It was the best. Sequel was standard one play through and your done average material.

Or yooka 2. I havent played yooka 1 yet due to some of the discouraging reviews. But I will get to it. Perfecting the formula on that would be sweet too.

dbzitb

Postby dbzitb » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:06 pm

I'm happy for a Y-L sequel.
I'd like them to visit an updated level from banjo and kazooie.
Aswell as Y-L solving the ice key and eggs riddle.
I think it would also be cool for banjo and kazooie to make an appearance as help in a boss level.

Omega

Postby Omega » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:27 am

iameatingjam wrote:Or yooka 2. I havent played yooka 1 yet due to some of the discouraging reviews. But I will get to it. Perfecting the formula on that would be sweet too.

Yeah dont let them fool you. If you really love Banjo, you will have an amazing time with Yooka Laylee :)

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:59 am

agreed, yooka-laylee is not perfect, but its a really good game.

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:38 pm

i would like another game like yooka-laylee.. a yooka-laylee 2 or a new game like banjo-kazooie but with other character and all.. i just can't accept to see a yooka-laylee 2 with flying move like yooka-laylee 1 .

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:41 pm

EekumBokum202 wrote:Isn't Donkey Kong 64 just Banjo-Kazooie with more collectables? ...Well, I guess not exactly, since you can switch between characters...

One major difference is that DK64 often has you do the same thing over and over for every kong, as you can't collect bananas, banana balloons, coins, blueprints or golden bananas if you are not atm playing as the assigned character. This wouldn't be so bad if those things weren't spread out in tiny doses everywhere. For me personally, the levels also were too big. On the other hand, Banjo didn't have the great boss fights DKC64 had, nor a replay mode. Tooie is basically a compromise between the two in terms of level size and backtracking.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:20 pm

FailureFactory wrote:
EekumBokum202 wrote:Isn't Donkey Kong 64 just Banjo-Kazooie with more collectables? ...Well, I guess not exactly, since you can switch between characters...

One major difference is that DK64 often has you do the same thing over and over for every kong, as you can't collect bananas, banana balloons, coins, blueprints or golden bananas if you are not atm playing as the assigned character. This wouldn't be so bad if those things weren't spread out in tiny doses everywhere. For me personally, the levels also were too big. On the other hand, Banjo didn't have the great boss fights DKC64 had, nor a replay mode. Tooie is basically a compromise between the two in terms of level size and backtracking.

Huh, interesting... Yeah, Banjo-Tooie had great boss fights!

LDClaudius

Postby LDClaudius » Thu May 04, 2017 1:02 pm

I really wish a bunch of game dev at Dambuster Studio would join Playtonic Games and make a spiritual successor to Timesplitter series. Lets face it. Their recent game, Homefront: Revolution was a complete flop. It would been so cool if they could make a humor FPS that offer a fun campaign to brute your way through. I would love to see the dev get wacky with variety of playable characters. You know, there was a gingerbread man, handy man, and a robo fish.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:56 pm

The more I think about it, the more I think Playtonic should do something utterly dissimilar to YK.

If this company is going to become major, it needs a lot of feathers in its cap and a varied portfolio.

Return to “Community Discussion”