Playtonic's next project

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Piet

Playtonic's next project

Postby Piet » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:34 am

Yooka-Laylee is (as we know) a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie with elements from other platformers like DKC (i.e. the minecart sections).
I know it's too early to discuss this, but what do you guys want to see as Playtonic's next project?
There are lots of choices, like; spiritual successors to Conker, DKC, Jet Force Gemini, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, GoldenEye, Killer Instinct, Kameo, something entirely new or a sequel/prequel to Yooka-Laylee.

My choice: Tooka-Laylee (so a sequel to YL) and after that a spiritual successor to DKC (a side-scrolling platformer).

What do you guys want to see from Playtonic in the future?

bjaxx87

Re: Playtonic's next project

Postby bjaxx87 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:15 pm

I'd say Perfect Dark because it's one of my favorite games of all time but I don't know how involved the people at Playtonic were in the creation of the original (if at all). I'd sure enjoy a fun straight-forward shooter with lots of hidden secrets and a cool local multiplayer mode (I hated those huge online-focused maps of PDZ).

But since that's unlikely I'll vote for a successor to DKR. A fun-racer with adventure mode, bosses, collectibles, hub-world and many new characters that'll get their own games later. :)

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:06 pm

bjaxx87 wrote:But since that's unlikely I'll vote for a successor to DKR. A fun-racer with adventure mode, bosses, collectibles, hub-world and many new characters that'll get their own games later. :)

This would also be cool!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:22 pm

Playto-go, the Mario Kart equivalent fot PT!
Where characters are able to leave their car for certain platforming stuff (ghehe) then add in a prop-hunt mode :D
Stop picking your nose Image

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:44 pm

I'm literally down for anything. Twoka Laylee would be sweet, a DKC 2-D platformer would be sweet (and quench the 3DS fans), a DKR racer would be sweet, a party game like Mario Party (NO CAR, BOO MP10/11) would be cool. An FPS could be really fun. A Playtonic puzzler like Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine featuring Dr. Puzz would be sweet.
Make the forum great again.

Chrysalis_Blossom

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:20 pm

dotEXE wrote:I'm literally down for anything.

Me too, although if I had to choose I'd like to have a FPS à la GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, that is objective- and stealth-based instead of being a monotonous sequence of walk, shoot, quick-time event, cutscene.

Pisuke85

Postby Pisuke85 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:26 pm

I've never asked myself the question, since I'm waiting so bad for the first game to materialize.
However, I am open to everything (but casual gaming). New projects and new ideas are welcomed.

Mmmkay... A karting game with Playtonic characters will be good too. :mrgreen:

rocho

Postby rocho » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:06 pm

Diddy Kong Racing spiritual successor!

Nintendo isn't even using Diddy on Mario Kart 8? So I'm pretty sure I want that game to happen!

I've been playing Mario Kart 8 with DKR soundtrack and it feels SOOOO GOOOOD!

you all should give it a try!

Nanirourou

Postby Nanirourou » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:05 am

Trowzer match-three puzzler mobile game.

Only supported on 80's car phones.
you kuh lady

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:02 am

They can make whatever they want. I'd like to be surprised by what they decide to make next.
...But ,there is still something I would love them to create eventually, and that would be a crossover racing game featuring characters from past and future Playtonic games...
So, like Diddy Kong Racing, but with Playtonic characters.

Complete with David Wise amazingness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODUOBq92IxA :mrgreen:

EDIT:
Yavga wrote:Playto-go

Nice.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:24 am

While a Yooka-Twolee would be nice, or a spiritual successor to Conker and Jet Force Gemini - I would like to see something completely different than either of those games as Playtonic's next game. I hope that after Yooka-Laylee's massive success, they would collaborate with Gory Detail to revive Urchin - from the creative mind of Chris Seavor. The polar opposite of Yooka-Laylee, a very dark and depressing game starring a broken girl as she needs to survive against the unimaginable horrors of her world. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you can appreciate depressing games like American Mcgee's Alice that are also thought provoking at the same time, then you can see the potential Urchin has. Playtonic is one phone call away to make this cancelled game a reality, as Chris Seavor still wants to see his project getting released one day.

I would pledge 150 euros to the hypothetical Kickstarter of Urchin, maybe more. That's how much I love this game to see the light of the day.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:01 pm

Definitely a kart racer.

Not a spritual successor to Diddy Kong Racing -- why another spiritual successor? Their next game should stand on its own; sure, it'll probably be inspired in part by their past games, but Playtonic should begin to establish themselves in their own right.

I absolutely adore Mario Kart and would love to see Playtonic's go at a similar game, using their beautiful worlds, characters, humour and innovation. Mario Kart 8 had anti-gravity; I wonder what Playtonic could come up with? Perhaps, as Yavga said, some sort of platforming elements could be interesting, though I can't immediately think how it'd work. The possibilities are really exciting though.

--

I loved Perfect Dark. The story was incredible, but I can't see Playtonic's current characters fitting in with a 'realistic' shooter like PD. They will likely need to come up with new characters for something like that to work, and that would kind of create a second Playtonic universe as I can't imagine those worlds meeting. It'll be like Joanna meeting Banjo and Kazooie -- wouldn't work.
Taylonic Ltd.

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:02 pm

Xellos wrote:While a Yooka-Twolee would be nice, or a spiritual successor to Conker and Jet Force Gemini - I would like to see something completely different than either of those games as Playtonic's next game. I hope that after Yooka-Laylee's massive success, they would collaborate with Gory Detail to revive Urchin - from the creative mind of Chris Seavor. The polar opposite of Yooka-Laylee, A very dark and depressing game starring a broken girl as she needs to survive against the unimaginable horrors of her world. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you can appreciate depressing games like American Mcgee's Alice that are also thought provoking at the same time, then you can see the potential Urchin has. Playtonic is one phone call away to make this cancelled game a reality, as Chris Seavor still wants to see his project getting released one day.

I would pledge 150 euros to the hypothetical Kickstarter of Urchin, maybe more. That's how much I love this game to see the light of the day.

Hmmm, interesting choice.
I think I would be cool with that, but not as a second (or third) game, but definitely somewhere down the lane.

Talking about Kickstarter; Do you guys think Playtonic will use Kickstarter again for their next game(s)...?
(I would pledge even if it's not really my cup o' tea, no doubt.)

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Piet wrote:Talking about Kickstarter; Do you guys think Playtonic will use Kickstarter again for their next game...?

I hope not. I feel it would be unprofessional, as a company, for them to do so. They should use the profit made by Yooka-Laylee to build their next game -- if they're not making profit, the company is failing.

But of course, if they did make a Kickstarter, I would throw my money at it again.
Taylonic Ltd.

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 pm

Taylor wrote:
Piet wrote:Talking about Kickstarter; Do you guys think Playtonic will use Kickstarter again for their next game...?

I hope not. I feel it would be unprofessional, as a company, for them to do so. They should use the profit made by Yooka-Laylee to build their next game -- if they're not making profit, the company is failing.

But of course, if they did make a Kickstarter, I would throw my money at it again.

Hmmm, I don't think using Kickstarter a 2nd (or even a 3rd time) would be unprofessional.
They have to posses a certain amount of notes (uhhh, pounds) to create another game, so I wouldn't mind if they used Kickstarter again, but I agree with you that they should stand on their own feet somewhere in the future (by not depending on backers).

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 pm

Taylor wrote:

How about using the profits made by Yooka-Laylee and launching a Kickstarter to finance their games? InXile Entertainment already has done this three times now.
Last edited by Xellos on Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:10 pm

Xellos wrote:
Taylor wrote:

How about using the profit of Yooka-Laylee and launching a Kickstarter to finance their games? inXile Entertainment already has done this three times now.

I'm fine with that! :mrgreen:

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:28 pm

Xellos wrote:How about using the profits made by Yooka-Laylee and launching a Kickstarter to finance their games? inXile Entertainment already has done this three times now.

I just don't find this approach very professional at all. If a company has to repeatedly use crowdfunding, they are not successful: fact. Crowdfunding is a relatively recent phenomenon and it seems everyone is taking advantage of it when they don't need to -- it's supposed to be for company startups, not a cash-cow for every single project.

I can understand if the product appeals to a very niche audience, but I'd also be confused how they could possibly make profit if most of their audience have already been promised a copy of the game when they pledged on the Kickstarter. If they expect to make a profit through sales to non-backers, the product can't be very niche at all and they should have been able to make the games on their own backs (if they had already used Kickstarter before and sold a product).

The more times a company uses Kickstarter, the less faith I'd have in their ability to run a business. Or, more likely, I'd suspect they want to cut all the risk of paying to build a new game and subsequently make incredible amounts of profit for their own luxury lifestyles.

Playtonic could easily make another Kickstarter after Yooka-Laylee and reach their target, I'm sure, but I would be more impressed and reassured that their company isn't going to collapse if they could achieve it on their own with the profit they made. Of course I would back any Kickstarter they ever release, but I would grow a bit suspicious about what they spend the money on.

Look at Mighty No. 9. That was definitely a guy taking advantage and raking in more money than he needed.
Taylonic Ltd.

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:55 pm

Taylor wrote:it's supposed to be for company startups, not a cash-cow for every single project.

You're right, but 2 (or even 3 games) can also be called a 'company start-up'.

Chrysalis_Blossom

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:47 pm

Xellos wrote:While a Yooka-Twolee would be nice, or a spiritual successor to Conker and Jet Force Gemini - I would like to see something completely different than either of those games as Playtonic's next game. I hope that after Yooka-Laylee's massive success, they would collaborate with Gory Detail to revive Urchin - from the creative mind of Chris Seavor. The polar opposite of Yooka-Laylee, A very dark and depressing game starring a broken girl as she needs to survive against the unimaginable horrors of her world. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you can appreciate depressing games like American Mcgee's Alice that are also thought provoking at the same time, then you can see the potential Urchin has. Playtonic is one phone call away to make this cancelled game a reality, as Chris Seavor still wants to see his project getting released one day.

I never thought about that, but I agree, that'd be amazing. I would also pledge an awful lot of money to make Urchin see the light. I wonder if Microsoft holds the copyright for Urchin - technically it shouldn't, since the game was never released, but I'm not a lawyer, so...

Return to “Community Discussion”