Playtonic's next project

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
UltimateTruth

Re: Playtonic's next project

Postby UltimateTruth » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:38 pm

Hopefully they can make Banjo Three if Microsoft greenlights it.

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:04 pm

UltimateTruth wrote:Hopefully they can make Banjo Three if Microsoft greenlights it.

This or Tooka-Laylee!
After that either a Conker or a DKR successor! :)

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:23 pm

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that building. I bet they already know what their next project will be.

LittleGreen

Postby LittleGreen » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:58 am

I think a game with a great character rooster, to introduce their Playtonic Universe Cast/ World´s would be a good choice.

But there would be many ways to do that.

I for myself would be happy, about a Fun Racer.
But that would also be possible in a Fun Beat´em Up.

Or even a Party Game!

Although, i would be most down to a Fun Racer. :D

One game, to introduce us in their new Universe and from there, they could go in Every direction they want.
I think, that would be pretty cool. :)
"Untwerwegs in Düsterburg" an great Adventure, full of sarcasm, humor and adventuring!
Link: http://lparchive.org/Unterwegs-in-Duesterburg/Update%2001/
Remake: https://www.facebook.com/UiDuesterburg?fref=ts

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:04 am

As an adult I don't like party games. As a kid I used to love Mario Party and Crash Bash. But I haven't picked up a Mario Party for like 3 generations of consoles and I don't ever plan on doing.
Last edited by Scrubber on Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:47 am

Scrubber wrote:As am adult I don't like party games. As a kid I used to love Mario Party and Crash Bash. But I haven't picked up a Mario Party for like 3 generations of consoles and I don't ever plan on doing.

Same for me.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Okay how big is Playtonic right now? I lost track of the number of employees and their move to yet another bigger office sounds like they're ramping up for a second dev team...

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:Okay how big is Playtonic right now? I lost track of the number of employees and their move to yet another bigger office sounds like they're ramping up for a second dev team...

Currently there are twenty-one (full-time) employees working on Yooka-Laylee at Playtonic Games. And depending on how well the game will sell, they could start the formation of a second team - which would allow them to release two games in 2019 (assuming both games take two years of development to be finished).

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:44 am

Xellos wrote:Currently there are twenty-one (full-time) employees working on Yooka-Laylee at Playtonic Games. And depending on how well the game will sell, they could start the formation of a second team - which would allow them to release two games in 2019 (assuming both games take two years of development to be finished).

I think (if they start immediately after YL's release) that Q4 could be possible for a second game's release window.
A team consisting of 21 people (and still expading) is capable is doing my great things. :)

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:26 pm

Piet wrote:
Xellos wrote:Currently there are twenty-one (full-time) employees working on Yooka-Laylee at Playtonic Games. And depending on how well the game will sell, they could start the formation of a second team - which would allow them to release two games in 2019 (assuming both games take two years of development to be finished).

I think (if they start immediately after YL's release) that Q4 could be possible for a second game's release window.
A team consisting of 21 people (and still expading) is capable is doing my great things. :)

We will almost certainly see one game from Playtonic be released in Q3/Q4 2019, unless the guys at Playtonic take a break after finishing work on Y-L that lasts for a whole year. :lol:

Piet

Postby Piet » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Oh, my fault!
I meant Q4 2018. :'D

Damda

Postby Damda » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:03 am

today i had the perfect idea :idea:

"Donkey Kong Racing" for the Nintendo Switch. :shock:

Nintendo still owns the Donkey Kong rights.
+ there will be only a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe version for the switch (i guess there won't be a new mario kart for a long time.)
Playtonic could collaborate with Nitnendo/RetroStudios and make the DiddyKongRacing successor everybody was waiting for. :geek:

Both would benefit.
Nintendo: no pressure for new mario kart.
Playtonic: more fame + collab with RetroStudios for more Rarerevival.

a little teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ThbbN3o5yw

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:07 pm

Damda wrote:today i had the perfect idea :idea:

"Donkey Kong Racing" for the Nintendo Switch. :shock:

Nintendo still owns the Donkey Kong rights.
+ there will be only a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe version for the switch (i guess there won't be a new mario kart for a long time.)
Playtonic could collaborate with Nitnendo/RetroStudios and make the DiddyKongRacing successor everybody was waiting for. :geek:

Both would benefit.
Nintendo: no pressure for new mario kart.
Playtonic: more fame + collab with RetroStudios for more Rarerevival.

a little teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ThbbN3o5yw

I hate that this game never came to be.

Rasmusic

Postby Rasmusic » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:11 pm

I just want a revolutionary 2D platformer, like DKC was back in the day. Basically a 2D platformer with new mechanics. Would also love if they could work with nintendo on DK64 2 (DK Switch?)
Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:
https://www.youtube.com/user/rasmusbek

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:28 pm

Rasmusic wrote:I just want a revolutionary 2D platformer, like DKC was back in the day. Basically a 2D platformer with new mechanics. Would also love if they could work with nintendo on DK64 2 (DK Switch?)

Yes please. They should "fix" DK64 by developing a modern sequel. There's so much they can do and by doing that, they don't take Retros gained privilege of developing 2D DK Games away. That's probably (aside from DKR2) the first thing I'd like them to do if they get their hands on a Nintendo IP again.

With Mario Oddysee and Yooka-Laylee, the audience will be reintroduced to open 3D platformers. So it's no longer a stretch to fantasize about a new 3D DK game.

luke11685

Postby luke11685 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:46 pm

Maybe Crank the Weasel or unknown Conker's Bad Fur Day spiritual successor?

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:35 am

Rasmusic wrote:I just want a revolutionary 2D platformer, like DKC was back in the day. Basically a 2D platformer with new mechanics. Would also love if they could work with nintendo on DK64 2 (DK Switch?)

See DKC Returns and DKC tropical freeze
Last edited by Scrubber on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:09 pm

I suspect they'll want to try something totally unrelated to platforming involving the same characters they're establishing in Yooka-Laylee.

They'll want to set themselves up as a company that can handle all sorts of genres and their characters as flexible enough to carry games from all sorts of genres.

Let's not forget: Mario isn't just the most successful platforming franchise ever, he's also the most popular and lucrative racing game series (Mario Kart), has a profitable niche in sports games (Mario Golf, Tennis, with Sonic at the Olympics, etc) and has a neat line in RPGs (Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi).
If Playtonic can set something like that up, it will be a huge asset.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:58 am

NPChilla wrote:I suspect they'll want to try something totally unrelated to platforming involving the same characters they're establishing in Yooka-Laylee.

They'll want to set themselves up as a company that can handle all sorts of genres and their characters as flexible enough to carry games from all sorts of genres.

Let's not forget: Mario isn't just the most successful platforming franchise ever, he's also the most popular and lucrative racing game series (Mario Kart), has a profitable niche in sports games (Mario Golf, Tennis, with Sonic at the Olympics, etc) and has a neat line in RPGs (Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi).
If Playtonic can set something like that up, it will be a huge asset.

I hope they try their hand at all genres (except party/sport)

DeafgamerEPIC

Postby DeafgamerEPIC » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:22 am

i would love to see playtonic's new fighting project like killer instinct. we need back our real godfather of KI creator :(

i grad playtonic ex-rare is back :)

Return to “Community Discussion”