Hat in Time doesn't feel as nice as the Toybox

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Meinhard1

Hat in Time doesn't feel as nice as the Toybox

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:12 pm

Perhaps is that my laptop has trouble running Hat in Time as well, but Hat Kid's movement doesn't feel as lively as Yooka-Laylees.
Curious what others think.
Definitely feeling very hopeful about A Hat in Time, regardless!

GeneralWalnut

Re: Hat in Time doesn't feel as nice as the Toybox

Postby GeneralWalnut » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:47 pm

I haven't played it and didn't back it, but that was always the impression I got just looking at how it moves and how it handles the camera. Don't get me wrong, I think for a lot of first time developers working with not very much of a budget they're doing a great job and it is super impressive, and I feel bad even comparing it to the better funded more experienced development of Yooka-Laylee buuuuut... Yeah, those years of experience from a lot of the Playtonic team really go a long way, you can tell they're working on a different level.

Not that I think that should discourage first time developers from pursuing this kind of project, I still think Hat in Time looks cute, and like a pretty great time in its own right. Efforts like Clive n' Wrench are also really interesting to look at, just the amount of progress the guy making that has made in the last couple years is really impressive.

AJC0MICS

Postby AJC0MICS » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:37 am

I personally like the controls of the AHiT Beta more than the ones in the Toybox. The camera movement in AHiT feels much better and more natural than the one in the Toybox, and the dive jump gives the player more air control.
I've seen lots of people on Youtube who had a hard time finishing Chapter 3, because they never used the dive jump. It makes the whole game easier and much more enjoyable.

I guess it's just a personal preference... A Hat in Time isn't meant to feel or play like classic Rare titles, since it isn't even inspired by these games.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:08 pm

In my opinion, A Hat in Time is to Super Mario 64 as Yooka-Laylee is to Banjo Kazooie. Mario's movement was very high risk high reward in SM64 with all the special jumps and tricks that he could do, while Banjo's moveset was a lot more simplistic. I've seen people do incredible maneuvers in A Hat in Time similar to the ones in SM64, so maybe you just aren't used to the controls yet.

I'm excited as heck for it, too. It's so awesome getting spiritual successors to both Banjo-Kazooie and Super Mario 64.

Now we just need a spiritual successor to Donkey Kong 64...

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:19 pm

Nintendo/Retro should really think about creating a great, new 3D Donkey Kong game. There's many problems they could iron out, but it might take a while till the 3D platformer resurgence happens.

Anyway, I like the controls in AHiT. What I don't like, similar to Yooka-Laylee, is the way they did the double jump. I just don't like these kind of double jumps without any logical reason. Laylee could at least flap for that purpose, which would look more logical. But aside from that, I'm very pleased with the controls. 2017 is going to be a blast.

Return to “Community Discussion”