NINTENDO SWITCH

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
Scrubber

NINTENDO SWITCH

Postby Scrubber » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:35 pm

https://youtu.be/3c6MWsEE884

The "nx" is revealed as the 'Nintendo Switch' and it looks freakin awesome.

The one thing I hate about going abroad is that I have to leave my console and what ever game I'm playing behind. Not anymore! Very excited for this.

Rueckkoppler

Re: NINTENDO SWITCH

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:39 pm

I'm so freaking hyped right now. One must really appreciate that Ninty kind of stuck with the Wii U concept in its roots, but perfected it, while removing everything that held it back. I seriously believe in a great success once again. Maybe not on Wii levels, but that's like, impossible to top anyway.

And now I want my Yooka-Laylee version on that thing :(

Things I'd like to see as well is support for the GC controller adapter (at least for Smash) and every wireless controller since the Wii era. I doubt that they'll get rid of Bluetooth support, so this would be fair thing to offer for die hard fans.

... and things I dream about but are less likely: Cheap "upgrades" for titles I bought on the eShop that'll appear as enhanced ports on that system. That would make it much more likely for me to buy that thing on day one. At least for multiplayer hits like Splatoon or Smash.

*remembers the 3D Mario title*... crap, they're making this hard already!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:00 pm

Ultra stoked. Very likely going to be a day 1 purchase for me. It will depend entirely on what launch titles there are, and if there's a limited edition model. I'd like to see a limited edition model, and then Zelda, 3D Mario, and a third strong title as launch games. Skyrim won't cut it, and MK8 rereleased won't cut it for that third slot.

All in all, day 1 purchase seems likely.
Make the forum great again.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:52 pm

Definitely potential to market this to college students / people on the go. Really cool how systems can link up. Overall Ninty is blending traditional premium gaming (for lack of a better term) into today's more portable, mobile gaming environment.

I do hope there's still gyroscopic controls for the sake of games like Splatoon.

The Mario they showed made me curious. An open-looking mariachi themeded area, a more blocky 3D world style environment, the camera and Marios mobility resemble Mario 64 / Sunshine, that segment of the trailer still implied multiplayer.

Would definitely want to play Yooka on this. I feel like an eventual port seems likely

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:55 pm

Day 1 purchase for me too I think.

Is it me or does that Mario game look like an open world game?

Could this finally be the successor to Mario Sunshine that I've always wanted.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:00 am

I have been extremely pessimistic of Nintendo throughout the past year, but I am impressed by the idea behind the Switch. It's what the Wii U should have been.
What I love about the Switch is that its 'Gimmick' is wholly unintrusive as opposed to the Wii and Wii U. You're not forced to use 'Innovative' tech like motion controls or a huge touch-screen controller that Nintendo shoves in your face and expects you to use it whether you like it or not. With the Switch, you're free choose to treat it as either a home console or a portable.
And big props to Nintendo for not making it unnecessarily huge and bulky like the Wii U Gamepad. The design of the Switch tablet is adequately sized and is very sexy.
Also, game cards! Yes! Time to drop those outdated discs and move on to something that is faster and can hold more data. Excellent move.

Now what I wanna see is Nintendo listening to public demand and provide games that people actually want to play. A free-roam 3D Mario, A new proper Metroid, proper Animal Crossing, an actual Paper Mario RPG, a Starfox with a not-rubbish control scheme, and a few New Ips.

And don't forget 3rd-party support. If it isn't powerful enough to support all the big "Triple A" multi-platform releases, then the Switch is done. Also, if there are some people who aren't interested in the portable aspect, they might as well skip this and stick with their PS4/XBones.

But all in all, I'm looking forward to it.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:20 am

We won't be getting any more Switch news til next year now :cry:

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:58 pm

Scrubber wrote:We won't be getting any more Switch news til next year now :cry:

Unless you'd allow yourself get hyped even further with r/NintendoSwitch ;)
Stop picking your nose Image

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:21 pm

Yavga wrote:Unless you'd allow yourself get hyped even further with r/NintendoSwitch ;)

Can we not, please.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:08 pm

WyvernWings wrote:
Yavga wrote:Unless you'd allow yourself get hyped even further with r/NintendoSwitch ;)

Can we not, please.

That was r/NintendoNX
Things are different now!
People ranting about preferring shitposts over quality posts for example :p
Stop picking your nose Image

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:09 pm

Yavga wrote:
Scrubber wrote:We won't be getting any more Switch news til next year now :cry:

Unless you'd allow yourself get hyped even further with r/NintendoSwitch ;)

I don't do reddit I don't get it...

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:00 pm

NINTENDO SWITCH PRESENTATION INCOMING!

What are you guys hoping for from the reveal?
What are you hoping NOT to see?

bjaxx87

Postby bjaxx87 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:45 am

So Super Mario Odyssey, huh? Seems like Nintendo jumped on the open world 3D jump 'n run comeback train. ;) Looks good, but those realistic looking people next to Mario in New York look a little off and remind me of the Sonic games.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:49 am

Open world mario? Cannot wait to see that. I've just woke up so I've not seen much yet.

First thing I've seen is price and date.£279.99 is not bad!

Edit 1: SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY! Wow. That looks GOOD. It's pretty much what I've been asking for for years. Open world, a more organic world (rather than one made from colourful blocks) new moves, new enemies, innovation. Cannot wait to play. This has the potential to become my favorite Mario game. Nintendo are finally back it seems.

Edit 2: Arms. At first I thought wow this looks really crap. Until I realised they were playing with motion controllers. Looks pretty fun actually. Looks like a much better version of Wii Sports Boxing. I may be interested depending on price.

Edit 3: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. This is pretty much what I expected it to be. Mario Kart 8 with a few extras. Is there any info on what's new / different and if it is worth purchasing again?

New Bomberman game. I totally forgot about Bomberman! Used to love it. Think I will be getting this but I don't have the regular friend visits I used to have so multiplayer won't be the same.
Last edited by Scrubber on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

bjaxx87

Postby bjaxx87 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:51 am

Here's the trailer. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcdRBHM7kM

The Switch is coming on the 3rd of March but Mario will release in the holiday season.

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:36 am

Now that we've had the Switch presentation:
C'MON PLAYTONIC! SHOW US SOME SWITCH LOVE!!! :D

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:47 am

Holy crap, the thing costs $470 where I live. Absolutely ridiculous.
Was planning to get a Switch when my copy of Yooka arrives, but I think I'll change to a PS4 version when given the chance.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:12 pm

Most of the presentation was pretty bad, but I think I'm going to have to buy the console just to play Super Mario Odyssey. 2017 is going to be such a great year for 3D platformers.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:57 pm

Why is everyone whinging about the price? It's a brand new console and they have already said they won't sell it at a loss this time. The company needs to make money and can't just give away things for free.

I was anticipating a £300 price tag so at £279 it's already cheaper than i expected.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:59 pm

Scrubber wrote:Why is everyone whinging about the price? It's a brand new console and they have already said they won't sell it at a loss this time. The company needs to make money and can't just give away things for free.

I was anticipating a £300 price tag so at £279 it's already cheaper than i expected.

Because there isn't enough compelling software coming out with it to justify the price. Those tiny little controllers are over-priced, too. They're even selling a tiny little plastic steering wheel attatchment for $25AUD. Bloody hell. Also, paid online. The Switch is going to be a very expensive piece of kit to have in the long run.
I suppose I'm just shocked because I expected it to be around $300AUD, because it's smaller, has less moving parts than disc-based consoles and less powerful spec-wise.

Also, casual gamers seem to still be a priority to Nintendo, as they decided to show 1 2 Switch as the first Switch game to discuss rather than the new Mario, Zelda or Splatoon, y'know the games that gamers actually buy Nintendo systems for. 1 2 Switch should make more sense as its own little toy pack selling for 60 bucks at a kiddie store, not on a full-fledged gaming system at full-price.
I dunno. I'm very, very worried for Nintendo at the moment. I really want a Switch but it costs too much for what little it offers at the moment.

Return to “Community Discussion”