NINTENDO SWITCH

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
ShanPen

Re: NINTENDO SWITCH

Postby ShanPen » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:49 am

WyvernWings wrote:Holy crap, the thing costs $470 where I live. Absolutely ridiculous.
Was planning to get a Switch when my copy of Yooka arrives, but I think I'll change to a PS4 version when given the chance.

(Did you look up EB Games, too? It might be a bit cheaper at JB when they put up their price).

Yeah I'm considering doing exactly this too. now :(. I was going to buy a console at launch for the first time ever with the Nintendo Switch especially for Yooka-Laylee and later for Splatoon 2, but after learning I'd have to pay to play Splatoon 2, I don't think I'll bother with the Switch. I can get Zelda Breath of the Wild for Wii U, and play Yooka-Laylee on my partner's PS4.

Although I'll wait to find out more information from Playtonic about the Switch version before I make a final decision.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:33 pm

For people shocked at the price, there's no more region locking, right? You could consider an import, though I'm not sure if the additional duty fees or what have you make it really worthwhile.

The pay to play online really turns me off from Switch. At this point, I may as well get that gaming PC...
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:35 pm

They aimed towards gamers and not casuals with WiiU and look where that got them. They sold FUCKALL. So they decided it would be safer to market towards casuals as well as gamers this time round.

I've pre ordered my switch direct from Nintendo. Can't wait to get it.

The Humble Gamer

Postby The Humble Gamer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:11 pm

Alright, I believe I'll weigh in on the Conversation here.

The Switch is a very innovative piece of tech, it's VERY Nintendo.
But there are varying issues that speak to me as a consumer that have really put me off a day 1 purchase.
First of all, the price.
I see people here saying £279.99 is a fair price for the console. Have you seen what you get for that price?
You get the console, but you don't get any games packaged with it. If you want a game you have to preorder one to go with it, which is another £40/£50, So straight away that's £320 for the console and something to play on it on day 1. Not to mention that if you want your Joypads to charge in the grip, you have to buy a Joy-con charging grip separately, that's another £25. I won't even begin with the $70 price tag on the pro controller.
Only 1 good game is releasing on day 1, and Nintendo expects it to be the one that sells the console, Zelda:BOTW.
If you already own a Wii U, why would you buy a switch day 1? You're spending far more than necessary on only a few launch games, you might as well wait till later in the year.

As far as I can see buying the switch at launch is a complete waste of money and people should wait it out and see what the switch will have to offer is 2017 moves forward.
Personally, I will be getting a PS4 instead and switching my physical version of Yooka-Laylee to that, I'll stick with the Wii U version of Zelda:BOTW as well.

Thanks for the effort Nintendo, but you aren't impressing me with your deliberate lack of info on the consoles future titles and online store lineup. Give me more info and then we'll talk.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:53 pm

To be honest I think that 1-2-Switch should be bundled with the console. Like Wii Sports was the Wii. Not only do I think the game isn't worth buying on its own because the novelty will wear off (like it did with wii sports) but I do also agree that the console should come with a game.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:04 am

Exaskryz wrote:For people shocked at the price, there's no more region locking, right? You could consider an import, though I'm not sure if the additional duty fees or what have you make it really worthwhile.

Importing will likely be even more expensive because Nintendo will deliberatly hold back stock of their hardware like they always do and scalpers will get them first and flog them on ebay for 3 times the price.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:24 am

What's disappointing is that there aren't really any exciting *exclusives* until Splatoon 2 ... which looks more like a 1.5 than a full sequel. Gonna have to mull over MARIO Kart 8 Deluxe a bit.

Regardless I was always going to buy Nintendos new system and will be playing both Yooka and BoTW on it

What really struck me:
1. MARIO Odyssey is more open and looks intriguing
2. Breath of the Wild's trailer was remarkable. Manaka Kataoka is the composer of the main theme (E3 Trailer) and is probably the game's primary composer. I don't know if all of what is heard in this particularly trailer sounds like her Animal Crossing music. Quite interested in becoming more familiar with her work, as well as learning who else is doing music for this Zelda title. (I still think there's a Keen Joe Hisiashi flavor to some of the music)

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:16 pm

Will wait till black Friday. There should be some GOOD games out by then.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:21 pm

Meinhard1 wrote:2. Breath of the Wild's trailer was remarkable. Manaka Kataoka is the composer of the main theme (E3 Trailer) and is probably the game's primary composer. I don't know if all of what is heard in this particularly trailer sounds like her Animal Crossing music. Quite interested in becoming more familiar with her work, as well as learning who else is doing music for this Zelda title. (I still think there's a Keen Joe Hisiashi flavor to some of the music)

One thing about that... where's Koji Kondo?! Thought he did every Zelda score so far? I never heard of Kataoka before...

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:49 am

This post has been deleted by its author
Last edited by Meinhard1 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:07 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Meinhard1 wrote:2. Breath of the Wild's trailer was remarkable. Manaka Kataoka is the composer of the main theme (E3 Trailer) and is probably the game's primary composer. I don't know if all of what is heard in this particularly trailer sounds like her Animal Crossing music. Quite interested in becoming more familiar with her work, as well as learning who else is doing music for this Zelda title. (I still think there's a Keen Joe Hisiashi flavor to some of the music)

One thing about that... where's Koji Kondo?! Thought he did every Zelda score so far? I never heard of Kataoka before...

Little known but important fact:
Ocarina of Time may be the last game with a *full* Kondo OST. Mr. Kondo has composed comparatively few pieces, post N64.

Here's a post that seems accurate, though only accounts for through 2012.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=503638

He's done some great Mario pieces: key themes for Sunshine, hub themes for Galaxy 1 and 2, and a select few levels here and there.
He was actually primary composer for MARIO Maker, first time he'd held that role in over 10 years ... though didn't quite compose everything.

Not much composition for Zelda, at all. Surprisingly little for Windwaker, none for Twilight Princess, the intro for Skyward Sword.

No clue why he switched to that supervisory role. When your mind produces such intuitive, expressive, and catchy music ... I just don't understand how you turn that off and stop composing!
Ocarina of Time's ost is in the same tier as DKC 2, in my book.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:13 pm

Who's expecting one of these from the postie tomorrow?

I am. Though I haven't pre ordered any software yet.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Well... it never even f*****g came.

Remind me what the purpose of a preorder is?

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:18 pm

I got up at 4:45am on the 3rd to go stand in line. Was about ... 5-10 degrees F out? Anyway me and 5 others stood there until 7:20am when 20 other people showed up in a period of about 15 minutes. They opened at 8am, were sold out by 8:03. In the end, I could have showed up at 7:30 and still gotten one, but at least I wasn't there at 9pm THE PREVIOUS DAY like the guy at the front of the line.

So back to the Switch, I of course got one being 5th in line and it was totally worth it. Breath of the Wild is indescribably good.

Bomberman-R is "okay" and 1-2-Switch is "half okay, half awful". Zelda makes up for them by far.
Make the forum great again.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:53 pm

My switch came today. I'm still waiting for zelda and 1-2 switch to arrive. I just went to all the local stores to try to buy bomberman but it wasn't in stock anywhere. Would you not recommend it?

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Bomberman is "okay" and that's really the best I can say about it. The control stick movement is a little weird because instead of sticking perfectly to the grid, you end up getting stuck on a corner while you try to turn a lot. The story is, in my opinion, awful. But the story mode levels are fun.

I think it's a fun game but I'm wishing it had been $20-30.
Make the forum great again.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:39 pm

Only got Zelda, Fast RMX and Snipperclips so far. Zelda is as amazing as people say everywhere, but old Zelda fans really have to rethink and be able to always figure out a certain goal by themselves. But that comes naturally, I just love how it's different in that regard. And even though everything's different in a way, you always recognize the Zelda formula, it's really crazy when I think of the many moments that seemingly had nothing to do with Zelda, but made me realize that they're indeed really Zelda-like when it comes to overcoming obstacles and solving a problem... like figuring out a way to take over an enemy camp without using too many resources or when it comes to traversing the landscape and getting to a place high up.

Snipperclips: Loved the demo, it was great fun playing with fans and figuring everything out. It's just so weird and goofy, love it. The puzzles make you feel so satisfied once you know how to solve them and it's just funny as hell because of the overall style of the game. Didn't play the full game now (since it's best played with friends) but it'll be a blast, I'm certain. It's such a nice showcase for the tabletop mode with both joy cons held sideways, too. In fact, demo was the first game I started on the system, of course in table top mode. Having played it three times now with different people and a small discount was enough to buy it in a heartbeat. Plus, it's only 20€/$/£, just like Fast RMX. Crazy that you get these games for such a low price while Nintendo charges more than the double amount of money for 1-2 Switch. Anyway, for me that's okay, I'm way less interested in the latter one (and reviews are mixed as well). If it isn't below 20 or 15, I won't bother with that. There's more exciting stuff, like:

Fast RMX: Well, its Fast Racing Neo with better graphics, a ton of new stuff and really nice feeling HD rumble. I had a blast playing this with friends when showcasing the Switch. It was really perfect for that, since I basically had three controllers already (joy cons + Pro Controller) and it was so easy and fast to get started that way. Can't wait for MK8 DX now, even though I own it on Wii U with all the DLC, but for the reasons above and the amazing portability, it totally pays off. Coming to...

The Nintendo Switch itself. God I love the system! It's so tiny and strong for its size, it's crazy. It's such a fast process packing the console (with the dock etc) in a bag and going over to a friends house, just because everything is so light and small. It shines even more if you compare it to the Wii U, ough. That had a heavy console unit, that bulky game pad and power cable (lets call it power unit, since it's so bulky). The Switch? Tiny display, light joy cons, a charging cable as big and heavy as the ones used for smartphones and a light dock - that's it! The display is vibrant, HD and therefore really crisp. Love playing Zelda in bed, there's almost no difference to the experience since the display is so good. Joy Cons also feel the most comfortable when being attached to the Switch instead of the (I admit) cramping Joy Con grip.

And oh my god, the UI. It's simple, snappy and so fast, it's night and day compared to the Wii U (speaking of which: there are changeable UI designs with (currently) black and white for night or day use). Now that I have the Switch, I really realize how annoying the load times, the overdesigned UI, the constant Mii sounds and that cutesy, Wii-like music were. It now feels like a simple, fast, reliable and serious gaming machine. Did I already say that it's fast? Because you never really turn the Switch off (it just goes to sleep mode), so it's always ready to go. It takes like 5 secs to get back into Breath of the Wild. I never, ever want to go back to the Wii U. Nintendo does so many things right with this one, I strongly believe that it's going to have a great game library eventually. Heck, Yooka-Laylee, Mario Oddysee, a new Fire Emblem game, Splatoon, Snake Pass, Smash... It's already great from the confirmed games.

I know it's old, just like Skyrim, but I would go crazy if we really get a GTA 5 Switch version at some point in the future. And we're not that far off, considering Skyrim coming to the system and the promise of a great success (or a success that is big enough to warrant such ports). I mean, portable GTA 5, who would not love that? :mrgreen: So many people reacted really excited / were flashed by the console when I showed it to them step by step in all its modes - it's really a new thing with a great concept that is executed so well. It attracts gamers beyond hardcore Nintendo fans, since it's through and through a "cool" device. It'll have a great future, I'm certain.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:22 am

Great review!! ^

I'm really enjoying Zelda. 1-2 switch was fun for about 6 minutes.
Zelda in bed is a good shout. I'm gonna do that right now.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:01 pm

Scrubber wrote:Great review!! ^

I'm really enjoying Zelda. 1-2 switch was fun for about 6 minutes.
Zelda in bed is a good shout. I'm gonna do that right now.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm basically only interested on how that "balls in the box" game feels with the Joy Cons from a technical standpoint. Maybe there'll be some demos in the future (or probably just full, great games that I'd buy anyway) that do something similar of that level of precision.

Aren't the Joy Cons confirmed to be working with computers? Someone should just rebuild that game in Unity :mrgreen:

Return to “Community Discussion”