As A Kickstarter

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
DarkTone

As A Kickstarter

Postby DarkTone » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:36 am

This is mainly for people who backed other games, but feel free to reply.

What do/did you think of Playtonic as far as kickstarter goes? If you backed a different game project do you think the updates were quick or slow? Is/was there anything they could learn from another kickstarter if need be?

This was my second of 2 games backed, and I nearly never went through with it after the first. However I feel Playtonic have done great so far.

Xenoka

Re: As A Kickstarter

Postby Xenoka » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:07 am

The only other kickstarter I've helped is a Documentary about Midway. They aren't done yet but they've been about equal in getting monthly updates. The big difference is just about every update has had an extra backer only bonus, small videos showing clips from interviews they've been conducting. It's a really nice extra because there's not much more I think they could show us unlike Playtonic who can tell us more about story, characters, levels, etc. I think Playtonic has done very well. Monthly updates are about the perfect timing. Quicker than monthly would be amazing but totally unreachable and every other month would be fine but stretching a bit thin. The updates also help give us info while keeping a lot of secrets as to not ruin any part of the game before we play it. Overall I think they've done a good job, but I have little Kickstarter experience, but this one so far has been nice.

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:14 am

I have followed a lot of Kickstarters, contributed to just a few (Yooka and Shantae), and have helped run a campaign as well.

I think the main thing is maintaining backer confidence that the project in on a path where it will eventually exist, and will more or less be the experience they originally ponied up money for. In that regard I think Playtonic has done an excellent job, revealing what they'd been up to when it was at a point where it was starting to look like a full game and just at the edge of people starting to get nervous about how long they'd been quiet.

They've run into delays and some setbacks with backer rewards (like shirts) but I don't think I have ever seen a kickstarter that manages to deliver on time and get all the physical rewards out in a timely manner.

Of course they could make like Wayforward just did with their Shantae Kickstarter and send out backer codes a week or so before the game goes up for sale, but that would just be icing on the cake. Still they've done a pretty great job with their post-campaign stuff, and I think that comes through with how positive on it people still are.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:02 am

I wonder if they will still be considered one of the most successful game Kickstarter campaigns now that it seems like they will be refunding a large portion of that money to Wii U backers?

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:40 am

Oh, how DarkTone wishes he posted this a couple of days later! :lol: :D

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:43 pm

I've backed a few crowdfunding campaigns. Yooka was the first one I pledged too. That and the Dragon's Lair movie (on Indigogo) are the ones I've given the most money to, if it's something I really, truly want to see happen (and of course, if I trust the creators given their track record, as well if they have some good rewards, too.)
Other campaigns I've pledged less than 80 bucks on I think, so in case something doesn't go according to plan, I won't feel too ripped off. Though none have updated as much as Yooka and Dragon's Lair. I get updates from those two constantly, lol.

I'm very satisfied with Yooka's Kickstarter campaign, even when there was a few bumps in the road, especially since I originally wanted a Nintendo version.
I'm very privileged to assist these people who helped define my childhood to go back to making the type of games they want to make, with more creative freedom than ever. With Yooka finished, I'm excited to see what the old team is cooking up next.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:33 pm

I've backed a LOT on Kickstarter. At least a dozen games, almost a dozen board games, a book, some tech projects, etc.

Playtonic's communication frequency is par for the course. A few updates here, a few there. Their communication quality is top notch. Very few developers give you truthful, concise insight into the progress and difficulties of the project. Even fewer give insight into the evolution of the team.

But what actually matters is their product is going to be FINISHED. Of the dozen games I've backed, one has been in development for over 6 years and I can't play it because I only want to play the finished game (hi Star Citizen), one is in whatever-beta-limbo-land (Timber & Stone), one swears it's still being worked on but has never once shown progress (Unsung Story), and several were flat out canceled with no refunds.

Kingdom Death: Monster gave out a TON of updates until the day the Kickstarter ended and then has been silently working since, but again, this is normal.

I think people dramatically underestimate the work that it requires to bring a Kickstarter to completion. You have to first make a product which is ridiculously hard in and of itself. Then make all the supplementary materials (rule books, manuals, boxes, discs in this case, art, etc). Then make all the gifts if there are any (this game had tons). Then handle production which usually requires several manufacturing plants, gather everything, pack it correctly, pack the packed things into a box to ship, and finally distribute it. It's a massive undertaking. I don't think there's a ton of time to update every single person's every single question, because that's wasted time that could be used on the project.

Playtonic is finishing the game. That's more than MOST Kickstarters can say, and that's all they owe anyone.
Make the forum great again.

Return to “Community Discussion”