Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
NNI
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:14 am

Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby NNI » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:32 am

So it looks like JonTron the Youtuber got invited to do some voice work for Yooka-Laylee a few years back?

https://twitter.com/PlaytonicGames/stat ... 3332079616

Does anyone know if this actually ended up happening? I don't really want to hear this guy's voice in the game.

If anyone is wondering why:

http://kotaku.com/longtime-fans-of-yout ... 1793382911
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/16/14942 ... ity-racism
http://time.com/4701304/jontron-jon-jaf ... e-youtube/
http://gizmodo.com/popular-youtuber-jon ... 1793231221

Like, I'm super sure that Playtonic doesn't agree with this stuff, but I'm wondering if it's too late to remove his voice or if they're planning to do that.

User avatar
Meinhard1
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:16 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Meinhard1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:05 am

This sense of "us and them," fear of people whom we perceive as not like us is certainly a source of suffering in the world. Its also very common and primordial tendency that has been existed since our nomadic prehistoric days.

Not sure I'd label him as especially racist. But those statements certainly are and it's important to recognize that we can all do better!

Anyways, no mention on Jontron. He's a big name, but buzz on him and Yooka has been mum.

Jimmeth of Jones
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Jimmeth of Jones » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:51 am

Made an account just to reply to this. Grow a set and stop trying to push your politics on this game.

NNI
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:14 am

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby NNI » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:59 am

Jimmeth of Jones wrote:Made an account just to reply to this. Grow a set and stop trying to push your politics on this game.

What politics would those be?

User avatar
BanjoThreeie
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:21 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby BanjoThreeie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:05 pm

Jontron has since apologized for these remarks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aIFf7qwlnSc

In the video, he says that he is not a good debater and wasn't prepared for the questions that Destiny (the person he debated) asked, so a lot of the time he was just scrambling around trying to find an answer. I don't like the responses he gave either in that debate, but he's apologized and said they in no way reflect who he is as a person, and he even promised to stop talking about politics completely, so I don't think this is something we should hold against him.

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:28 pm

BanjoThreeie wrote:Jontron has since apologized for these remarks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aIFf7qwlnSc

In the video, he says that he is not a good debater and wasn't prepared for the questions that Destiny (the person he debated) asked, so a lot of the time he was just scrambling around trying to find an answer. I don't like the responses he gave either in that debate, but he's apologized and said they in no way reflect who he is as a person, and he even promised to stop talking about politics completely, so I don't think this is something we should hold against him.


Exactly, it's not like he's insulting and blocking people for debating with him *cough* The BitBlock *cough*, so we should give him some slack. He probably tried to provoke people in order to start a discussion, who knows.

User avatar
Taylor
Posts: 1725
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Taylor » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:01 pm

I don't think he ever recorded his voice, and I don't think any real plans were in place for him to do so. I think it was just a possibility exchanged publicly on Twitter as he is well-known and supported the game.

Either way, I wouldn't care if his voice is used or not. It's just a mumble.
Taylonic Ltd.

Operationgamer17
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Operationgamer17 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:52 pm

JonTron to be removed from Yooka-Laylee following the controversy surrounding him. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... oka-laylee

User avatar
BanjoThreeie
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:21 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby BanjoThreeie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:14 pm

Operationgamer17 wrote:JonTron to be removed from Yooka-Laylee following the controversy surrounding him. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... oka-laylee


I would like it if Andy or someone else from Playtonic could confirm this.

Wplayer
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:17 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Wplayer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:24 pm

Made an account just to voice my opinion on the matter. This feels like an extreme knee jerk reaction especially considering the man apologised for his statements and explained why certain things have been said (and that he'll refrain from doing such political debates again).

What you're saying right now is either you heard his apology on the statements and as a reply to that basically said "you might've apologised but we don't care", or you missed the apology because you didn't dig far enough into whatever he said and just went based on social media pressure from the shouty lot.

killshotkenny
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:29 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby killshotkenny » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:34 pm

I donated twice. I'm well aware what Jon said, but you can enjoy someone's content without enjoying their politics. I feel like this was a spit in my face to fans like me. If they thought it would be that much of a problem to change a VA in a game that has gone gold, they should at least give people the option to prevent that change in game. There was no visible pressure to remove him out of the game and there was no reason beyond political purposes. I don't think I would have donated to a kickstarter that was politics before anything else, like gameplay or fun. As a fan of both groups here, I'm the one that lost out and I am the one that is punished. There's no way around that fact.

Nemo
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:22 am

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Nemo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:40 pm

If I don't get a refund on KickStarter, then I'll be selling my signed copy of the game. I do not want to have anything to do with YL if they're going to get involved in politics.

Jon held a charity for Teach For America! If Jon was actually a white supremacist, there's absolutely no way he would have endorsed Teach For America. I feel Jon said some stupid stuff in a debate he wasn't prepared for. Instead of admitting he was wrong, he spewed details he wasn't sure were true, which caused him to say some messed up stuff. He got crap for it, fair enough. But he already apologized and admitted he was wrong.

Playtonic, don't get involved in politics.

Samukas
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Samukas » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:41 pm

I'm a fan of Jontron, for his comedy works. I don't look to him for anything other than a funny face and voice making comments on things I enjoyed as a kid, or never knew about. He's a comedian and I'm unsure why people are trying to get anything else out of him. (Leave Britney alone!!!!)
That being said; I don't think his voice should be removed, because it's completely irrelevant to his political stance. People are still willing to buy Mass Effect: Andromeda despite (https://heatst.com/culture-wars/mass-ef ... d-to-know/) so I doubt it would hurt sales.

I'm more offended by Playtonic taking a position in this lame debacle between Jontron and Destiny. It's none of their business just like politics is none of Jontrons business.

I don't agree with a lot of what Jon had to say. I don't agree that he should be booted from YL because of it. I'm disappointed in the internet community for bringing things to where they are now.

BUT! Gotta move those games; give the people what they want!
I want Jontrons voice in Yooka-Laylee, maybe that's an unpopular opinion but it's mine.

MattUmby
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:56 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby MattUmby » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:01 pm

Nemo wrote:If I don't get a refund on KickStarter, then I'll be selling my signed copy of the game. I do not want to have anything to do with YL if they're going to get involved in politics.

Jon held a charity for Teach For America! If Jon was actually a white supremacist, there's absolutely no way he would have endorsed Teach For America. I feel Jon said some stupid stuff in a debate he wasn't prepared for. Instead of admitting he was wrong, he spewed details he wasn't sure were true, which caused him to say some messed up stuff. He got crap for it, fair enough. But he already apologized and admitted he was wrong.

Playtonic, don't get involved in politics.


Playtonic aren't getting involved in politics, though. Surely this is the opposite, by removing Jon from the game?
Jon said some dumb poo-poo in a debate he wasn't prepped for. Jon made a statement, which was not in fact an apology, but rather him clarifying his views and standing by a lot of what he said in the debate.
Playtonic, as a company, are well within their right to remove people from the product, or even their team, for any reason whatsoever.
Nobody backed or pre-purchased Yooka-Laylee just because Jon was voicing a character.
Jon said some awful things, and this is the consequence of saying awful things.
And yes, I'm all for free speech. Jon exercised his free speech by saying what he said. But free speech doesn't mean anybody has to agree, accept, or put up, with what you say.
Playtonic are making an overall family friendly game. They don't need someone who recently said very offensive comments to be a part of that.
Playtonic are doing nothing wrong.
Jon voiced a single character.
Grow up.

jontronblows
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:05 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby jontronblows » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:12 pm

Made an account just to voice my opinion on the matter. I am glad playtronic games is not wishing to be affiliated with someone with such hateful views. Some people are not lucky enough to be unaffected by hatred on a day to day basis and I am glad a company is willing to stand for treating everyone with respect. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences.

killshotkenny
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:29 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby killshotkenny » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:15 pm

MattUmby wrote:
Nemo wrote:If I don't get a refund on KickStarter, then I'll be selling my signed copy of the game. I do not want to have anything to do with YL if they're going to get involved in politics.

Jon held a charity for Teach For America! If Jon was actually a white supremacist, there's absolutely no way he would have endorsed Teach For America. I feel Jon said some stupid stuff in a debate he wasn't prepared for. Instead of admitting he was wrong, he spewed details he wasn't sure were true, which caused him to say some messed up stuff. He got crap for it, fair enough. But he already apologized and admitted he was wrong.

Playtonic, don't get involved in politics.


Playtonic aren't getting involved in politics, though. Surely this is the opposite, by removing Jon from the game?
Jon said some dumb poo-poo in a debate he wasn't prepped for. Jon made a statement, which was not in fact an apology, but rather him clarifying his views and standing by a lot of what he said in the debate.
Playtonic, as a company, are well within their right to remove people from the product, or even their team, for any reason whatsoever.
Nobody backed or pre-purchased Yooka-Laylee just because Jon was voicing a character.
Jon said some awful things, and this is the consequence of saying awful things.
And yes, I'm all for free speech. Jon exercised his free speech by saying what he said. But free speech doesn't mean anybody has to agree, accept, or put up, with what you say.
Playtonic are making an overall family friendly game. They don't need someone who recently said very offensive comments to be a part of that.
Playtonic are doing nothing wrong.
Jon voiced a single character.
Grow up.

When you remove someone from something they did AFTER already working with them, it sure is political. Not getting involved was by far their only move that was correct. It wasn't "oh hey here's someone with extreme politics let's add him" it was "hey this guy is funny and enjoys our games, let's add him" followed by Jon stating his opinions. they are getting political by removing him. Everyone by nature has political beliefs, when you remove someone for expressing them it is a political action, regardless.

Nemo
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:22 am

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Nemo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:19 pm

MattUmby wrote:
Nemo wrote:If I don't get a refund on KickStarter, then I'll be selling my signed copy of the game. I do not want to have anything to do with YL if they're going to get involved in politics.

Jon held a charity for Teach For America! If Jon was actually a white supremacist, there's absolutely no way he would have endorsed Teach For America. I feel Jon said some stupid stuff in a debate he wasn't prepared for. Instead of admitting he was wrong, he spewed details he wasn't sure were true, which caused him to say some messed up stuff. He got crap for it, fair enough. But he already apologized and admitted he was wrong.

Playtonic, don't get involved in politics.


Playtonic aren't getting involved in politics, though. Surely this is the opposite, by removing Jon from the game?
Jon said some dumb poo-poo in a debate he wasn't prepped for. Jon made a statement, which was not in fact an apology, but rather him clarifying his views and standing by a lot of what he said in the debate.
Playtonic, as a company, are well within their right to remove people from the product, or even their team, for any reason whatsoever.
Nobody backed or pre-purchased Yooka-Laylee just because Jon was voicing a character.
Jon said some awful things, and this is the consequence of saying awful things.
And yes, I'm all for free speech. Jon exercised his free speech by saying what he said. But free speech doesn't mean anybody has to agree, accept, or put up, with what you say.
Playtonic are making an overall family friendly game. They don't need someone who recently said very offensive comments to be a part of that.
Playtonic are doing nothing wrong.
Jon voiced a single character.
Grow up.


"Playtonic, as a company, are well within their right to remove people from the product"

Of course they are. Nobody is saying they don't have that right. It's not even worth bringing this up, we all already know this. Playtonic has a right to remove Jon in the same way I have a right to disagree with their decision. So let's not even bring up rights until someone actually states that Playtonic shouldn't be allowed to do something.

I feel Playtonic should keep their nose out of the controversy. The reasons why have already been stated by myself and numerous others.

GeneralWalnut
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:06 am

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby GeneralWalnut » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Good.

User avatar
Yavga
Posts: 1190
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Yavga » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Made an account just to... oh wait, I already had an account. Anyway, I just read this through some news outlet and I have to say it makes me happy to know Playtonic holds a standard and does not tolerate discrimination in any kind of way and battles it if neccesary.

A blow for Jontron and I feel sorry for his poor choice of words, he regrets them himself but has to know that with such a following every word can and will count. A pity but I'm sure he understands. Or anyway... He does right now, just like Pewdiepie did who is able to reach many people with his words as well. People copy things, let them copy the right things. Let's not use freedom of speech as an excuse to breed a resentful future youth.
Last edited by Yavga on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop picking your nose Image

User avatar
BanjoThreeie
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:21 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby BanjoThreeie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Well, apparently they really did remove his voice.

http://kotaku.com/yooka-laylee-ditches- ... 1793570816
http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/23/150399 ... -playtonic
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... oka-laylee

Honestly, I think Playtonic made the wrong move here. Jontron said these controversial things a month before the game's release. No one would have been upset if they kept his voice in, because the game was already finished and the only way they could remove it would be through a patch. Now there's a lot of people who are upset about this decision, and I've even seen a lot of people saying they've canceled their preorders for the game. I know they were probably just trying to stay out of politics by doing this, but if you're removing someone from your work based on their own personal beliefs, you're making it political.


Return to “Community Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest