Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
User avatar
Rasmusic
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Rasmusic » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:00 pm

Rawk wrote:P.S.

Image


Jesus christ
Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:
https://www.youtube.com/user/rasmusbek

User avatar
ShanPen
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:16 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby ShanPen » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:03 pm

Rawk wrote: I think they think their story about not knowing JonTron had even done anything would get them off the hook with the only audience they've really been paying attention to, but JonTronners seeing Playtonic react so strongly and so quickly after a few hours of following a NeoGAF thread just made it look to them like Playtonic didn't give a damn about what JonTron said or did until then and vindicated their belief that any company actually turning on JonTron is just caving to the same group of moral busybodies. Makes for a good narrative anyway.


The Playtonic team are really busy focusing on marketing for the release of their first game plus dealing with getting Kickstarter rewards made and sent out, so I can believe that they honestly didn't know about JonTron's remarks until it was brought up for discussion in a forum Playtonic are known to monitor. Most people don't sit on YouTube all day keeping up with various YouTube personalities, especially people with something as important as releasing their company's debut game to worry about.

User avatar
Yavga
Posts: 1190
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Yavga » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:09 pm

Rawk wrote:
Yavga wrote:Were they really pressured into doing that? Removing the cameo? That might change my view somewhat as I always thought it was their own decision. Do you have a source?


Everything we've seen suggests it. It suddenly blew up on NeoGAF two weeks after the controversy, users started finding excuses to call Playtonic a racist company for not having announced a removal of JonTron right after the Destiny interview went live (including extrapolating employee tweets and bemoaning how Playtonic has too many white dudes), Playtonic issued a statement disassociating themselves with JonTron on the same exact day when we know for a fact that Playtonic monitors the NeoGAF Yooka-Laylee thread, and we haven't heard anything from Playtonic since then for the same reason why if not for someone bringing it up we wouldn't have heard anything from them to begin with. That's cuz most of the people working on Yooka-Laylee aren't actively looking for controversy and weren't going to purposely politicize the entire pre-release of their company's game. (Why do you think the tweet that got NeoGAF's knickers in a twist was one about Mark Stevenson not liking politics and video games intertwined on Twitter?)

That's why someone, be it someone at Playtonic or that blue-haired community manager at Team17, truly dropped the pooch for going so hard with a statement that no one there was interested in following up on. I think they think their story about not knowing JonTron had even done anything would get them off the hook with the only audience they've really been paying attention to, but JonTronners seeing Playtonic react so strongly and so quickly after a few hours of following a NeoGAF thread just made it look to them like Playtonic didn't give a damn about what JonTron said or did until then and vindicated their belief that any company actually turning on JonTron is just caving to the same group of moral busybodies. Makes for a good narrative anyway.

P.S.

Image


Yeah I see where you're getting at... that settles it! I'm content knowing Playtonic exists of human beings that are capable of making mistakes as well. Sometimes even making conflicting statements in other peoples eyes.

Mark Stevenson made a comment through his personal account and Playtonic did it through the company. I don't see a conflict of things there at all but ok.

It's just like with this blue-haired leaker girl called Laura Kate Dale, she is getting the same kind of backlash even though she is using her own personal account to make an opinion. Things get difficult because some would argue she is using her political views as propaganda through means of game leaks. Ghe... well, whatever is your cup of tea.

Thanks for still taking me serious after some snarky remarks and stuff people, it's appreciated.

Hugs all around.
Stop picking your nose Image

YookaLayleeFan
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:19 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby YookaLayleeFan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:19 pm

He isn't being fired for a differing opinion, he's being fired for stirring up controversy.

There's a thing called guilt by association, which they're trying to avoid. He has a target on his back, and they don't want to get hit in the cross-fire. The problem is even if they did wait to actually get hit by backlash before firing him, a lot of their detractors wouldn't care that they were "pressured" into it. They would still been accused of the exact same things they are right now, with the added 'bonus' criticism of caving in to the pressure.

They wouldn't have been happy unless Playtonic fell on their sword for JonTron, which wouldn't be wise when even he admits he screwed up. There was no coming out on top here, only the lesser of two evils.

User avatar
Yavga
Posts: 1190
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Yavga » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:30 pm

YookaLayleeFan wrote:He isn't being fired for a differing opinion, he's being fired for stirring up controversy.

There's a thing called guilt by association, which they're trying to avoid. He has a target on his back, and they don't want to get hit in the cross-fire. The problem is even if they did wait to actually get hit by backlash before firing him, a lot of their detractors wouldn't care that they were "pressured" into it. They would still been accused of the exact same things they are right now, with the added 'bonus' criticism of caving in to the pressure.

They wouldn't have been happy unless Playtonic fell on their sword for JonTron, which wouldn't be wise when even he admits he screwed up. There was no coming out on top here, only the lesser of two evils.


Yeah, sounds like another logical conclusion to
me. Especially if they WERE pressured into it. But we're hanging on assumptions now. You'd think this'll get a follow up?

I think they can start angering people all over again if they say one thing or another because whatever they say there will be people who disagree with either statement. That is if you're assuming it's a matter of blue vs. red or left vs. right. Which is a real oversimplification of thing imo but... yadayadayada.

Bottom line: Would it be wise to apologise at this point at all keeping everything we asumme knowing in the back of our mind being: they were pressured into it and there's no going back now even if their statement wasn't meant to be politically charged?
Stop picking your nose Image

Operationgamer17
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Operationgamer17 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:07 pm

If anyone wants to see some of the stuff going on on the Steam forums, here you go.
https://www.imgur.com/a/nBLK7

SurenoScrap
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:06 pm

How to get a refund

Postby SurenoScrap » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:09 pm

Friendly reminder on how to get a refund considering the mods are locking threads on how to do it.

If you bought through steam, just ask for a refund. Easy since the game has not released yet.

If you backed through kickstarter, find out the date you backed through Kickstarter and contact your credit card company and issue a chargeback. Since Playtonic is not honoring refunds, this is the only way to do it.

kraufen
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:00 pm

The treatment of people asking for refunds isn't right

Postby kraufen » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:15 pm

So let me set this straight. Jontron's voice being removed isn't really a big blow nor does it affect gameplay in any way. The game will pretty much remain the same and I respect that playtonic can remove and add whatever they want since it is their own game, and tbh jontron said some shitty things he sort of deserved it.


What I can't get behind is the refusal of refunds (well actually that's fine to) but more the treatment of people who are asking for them. You are a company you are supposed to be professional. You can tell them that you don't need to give them refunds and why and how its legal for you to do so, that is fine since what you say is true. However to delete every single thread or lock them, and to have multiple people working for you basically poo-poo talking publicly on twitter about these people and well the situation in general is ridiculous, you are supposed to be a company,act like a company.

For this I will not buy this game or any future endeavors, unless you apologize to the people who are upset, who have the right to be upset over giving money to a project who did something they disagree with.

I know my single purchase isn't much but I am sure plenty of others who don't give a poo-poo about jontron feel the exact same way. That is all I came here to say.


p.s
From a p.r standpoint it is not gonna hurt to apologize for treating people poorly (not the removal of jontron, more as in being horrible to people who gave you money) and politely explain why you don't need to do refund them and most of this will end though maybe that ship has sailed already and its to late

User avatar
Yavga
Posts: 1190
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Yavga » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:17 pm

Operationgamer17 wrote:If anyone wants to see some of the stuff going on on the Steam forums, here you go.
https://www.imgur.com/a/nBLK7


Just a bunch of trolling kids. Not worth the time or attention. I mean look at that, no one remotely sane would fall for that right? It is so obviously charged with extreme anger fuel baiting people that it's impossible to hold an actual debate without knowing whether the one you're talking to will take you seriously.

I don't think the average user frequents the Steam forum anyway right? They just want to play the frigging game.

But they got to keep a tar pit like that open for these creatures to breed more hate or people start to take out the good ol' censoring arguments once again right? Hooray for rights!

No... I don't think the average intelligent human being goes there for a productive debate either. If these people would be an indication for the overall backlash than I'd argue there's nothing to worry about. That's my honest answer to you DiverseOpinion guy, I mean it. I don't need a reply back to that. It's ok. We differ.

Let them rot, Their best use is being used as fertiliser. They seem to misinterpret and rape every right they have. I have respect for people able to cope with that kind of poo-poo. Meaning the community managers, of course they lose their cool once in a while jesus...
Stop picking your nose Image

Pgcrooner
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Pgcrooner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:57 pm

Yavga wrote:
YookaLayleeFan wrote:He isn't being fired for a differing opinion, he's being fired for stirring up controversy.

There's a thing called guilt by association, which they're trying to avoid. He has a target on his back, and they don't want to get hit in the cross-fire. The problem is even if they did wait to actually get hit by backlash before firing him, a lot of their detractors wouldn't care that they were "pressured" into it. They would still been accused of the exact same things they are right now, with the added 'bonus' criticism of caving in to the pressure.

They wouldn't have been happy unless Playtonic fell on their sword for JonTron, which wouldn't be wise when even he admits he screwed up. There was no coming out on top here, only the lesser of two evils.


Yeah, sounds like another logical conclusion to
me. Especially if they WERE pressured into it. But we're hanging on assumptions now. You'd think this'll get a follow up?

I think they can start angering people all over again if they say one thing or another because whatever they say there will be people who disagree with either statement. That is if you're assuming it's a matter of blue vs. red or left vs. right. Which is a real oversimplification of thing imo but... yadayadayada.

Bottom line: Would it be wise to apologise at this point at all keeping everything we asumme knowing in the back of our mind being: they were pressured into it and there's no going back now even if their statement wasn't meant to be politically charged?


I think they can reaffirm that they do not stand by what Jontron said and that his beliefs do not represent Playtonic. That instead of going back on their decision entirely or staying the course they can meet everyone halfway by allowing the option to install this update. That all future updates will not affect that choice would be another reassurance. That way the people put off by the decision can still keep the vo if they want.

I do feel they may want apologize or clarify things in regaurds to percived censorship of grievances, miscommunication, or lack of communication as that has put off a lot of people. I realize that that has more to do with Team 17 than playtonic though.

Pokemaniac Dan
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:35 pm

Re: What might happen to Playtonic if Yooka-Laylee flops...

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:59 pm

sourrags wrote:I was going to buy it but they are against free speech


So you were planning on getting the game in the first place based on the fact that the team promoted free speech? And now allegedly you feel they don't? That was the main basis for wanting the game? Seems odd to buy games based off of free speech. I would think games are purchased/played based on the quality of the game and the genre of game play. Weird. I guess I've been playing video games wrong my whole life lol, should have based my buying decisions on free speech! :x

Pokemaniac Dan
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:35 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:21 pm

Was this guy getting paid to provide his "voice" in the game? Because last I knew, he was not an employee of Playtonic Games; therefore, it cannot be considered that he was "fired."

Pgcrooner
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Pgcrooner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:29 pm

Pokemaniac Dan wrote:Was this guy getting paid to provide his "voice" in the game? Because last I knew, he was not an employee of Playtonic Games; therefore, it cannot be considered that he was "fired."


I don't think he was paid, no. I believed they offered the role to him. He was not and is not under Playtonic's employ and thus never represented Playtonic in any real capacity. At least not any more than any of the backers that paid for that privilege via kickstater.
Last edited by Pgcrooner on Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonovanDuBoi
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:15 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby DonovanDuBoi » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:19 pm

I made this account just so I could post here and tell Playtonic that this is the reason I will not be buying their game. I've been really looking forward to it and it looks really well made, but I won't support them after removing a voice actor just to avoid social guilt by association.

MBFtrace
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby MBFtrace » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:50 pm

Just here to say thanks Playtonic for taking a stand against the racist white supremacists and trolls that infest the internet. It's nice to see someone standing up for minorities and immigrants, and I'll definitely be purchasing because of that. Keep up the good work :D

Pgcrooner
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Pgcrooner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:21 pm

So I started browsing the kickstarter comment section and I found this post that seems to encapsulate a lot (not every) backers beef with the decision:

"Howdy all,
I just wanted to voice my disappointment in the way that you've handled the Jontron situation. I had backed this before I was ever aware he was a part of the project. I backed this because I believed in Playtonic and thought that this would be a good way to show my displeasure with the current environment in "AAA" gaming. By that I mean the big companies keep giving me the same warmed over, focus grouped trite and telling me that I don't know what I want. So I took my money and spent it on something different, yet familiar, in the hopes that Yooka-Laylee would be a success and maybe, even just a little, shake up the industry. As of a week ago it looked like everything was turning up roses. Then I learned that Jontron got the axe.
Before I go on I must state that Playtonic is well within their rights to make whatever changes to their game that they want. It's their game. I have no right to ask for a refund because i agreed to give them my money on a game sight unseen. They could've took the money and ran and I still wouldn't be able to get my money back because this is Kickstarter and that's the risk you take.
When I saw that Jontron got axed from Yooka-Laylee I was taken aback. I had actually forgotten that he was even a part of this. Then I read the headlines and saw "why" he was cut. If nothing else 2016 taught me to never again just read a headline and one source so I did my own digging into it.
I'm not even sure where to begin Playtonic.
Should it be where Jontron went and got railroaded by the "games journalists" because of a poorly done livestream he did on twitch? Should it be about the livestream that was more or less an attack on Jontron by the streamer Destiny (Destiny the streamer whom I can quote "How do I explain to my daughter incest is wrong. Is it actually wrong? I don't know. This is like -uh, this is a crazy f***king thing" so you know he's not about stirring up controversy at all)? Should it be that Jontron has better expressed himself in other streams before the Destiny one and there wasn't such a big hoopla abut them because he wasn't stumbling over himself? Should it be that Neogaf (NEOGAF! A FORUM! AN ECHOCHAMBER WITH NO REAL CLOUT OR CREDIBILITY!) decided that your game was racist because they believe that Jontron is racist and so they went on to pressure you into removing him, not because he hasn't expressed his opinions in the past but because now he's tripped up and flustered and they see an opportunity? Should it be that in your press release you say "Playtonic is a studio that celebrates diversity in all forms" while at the same time removing Jontron because his views did not conform to yours or to say better, he had a DIVERSE opinion? Should it be that, as best I can find, at no point does it seem like you even tried to contact Jontron to hear his side and evaluate the evidence yourself?
Your move Playtonic. Which of these badly handled landmines do you want to try step over first?
...
...I am angry. I am frustrated. I am saddened. Mostly though, I am disappointed in you Playtonic. It's not because Jontron got removed. It's partly how you've handled it. It's mainly because you caved into pressure from people with an agenda. Again, Jontron has stated his points and beliefs before the Destiny stream with much more grace, eloquence and backing facts AND YOU DID NOT CARE THEN. It wasn't until the poorly handled, by Jontron to be fair, Destiny stream that people saw chink in the armor to strike. It seems as if you willingly sold your artistic integrity for more potential sales. Now I know Jontron had minor role in the game but when you started to get the push you cut him. I have to wonder, had Jontron had a bigger role would you've cut him?
Jontron.
Jontron.
You brought him onto the project. Yes you brought him on because he's somewhat of a "big" name in the gaming community but also, and I have to imagine the main reason because why him and not someone else, he is a big fan the great N64 Rare games.
Jontron is a stand in for us: The fans.
Your fans.
If we have diverse views or opinions does that mean that we too will get removed in some way so that you can "make games that everyone can enjoy" and thus create an environment that "could make players feel anything but 100% comfortable in our game worlds". Are we expendable so you can move more units?
Playtonic, this truly breaks my heart writing all this. I just wanted to play a fun game. I wanted to have an updated mascot platformer to play and to one day play with my kids like I did when I was a kid. But like everything else in this day in age it has somehow been infected by social justice and you've shown me what side you're on. I don't even think that you care all that much about what the articles, news pieces and forums say about the great ambiguous specter of "racism", you just care that they complained and that made you look bad. And if you look bad, you'll sell less and that's the bottom line. I will grant you that you are well within your rights to protect and maximize your profits. I supported you because I somehow thought you would be different Playtonic. Again, I'm heart broken and gain no pleasure to write this but at this point you are no different from EA, Ubisoft, WB or any other part of the "AAA" environment that I so desperately wanted to escape.
Thank you for your time and for reading this."

Not everyone feels this way mind you, but most of the comments criticizing playtonic share this sentiment.

Thoughts?

GeneralWalnut
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:06 am

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby GeneralWalnut » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Pgcrooner wrote:Not everyone feels this way mind you, but most of the comments criticizing playtonic share this sentiment.

Thoughts?

I think it's funny that everybody assumes they MUST but caving to outside pressure (which is always wrong??) and so they want to say things "right" by pressuring them??

If I was in their position I'd probably be pretty frustrated and upset that somebody I associated with publicly in the past started using a platform they had to spout racist (yeah I know according to the guy here who told me I was slandering the white race by saying black people are equal that jontron never said anything racist, believe me. It just turns out there is almost nobody on the planet I'd trust less to define and recognize racism) rhetoric. I'd want to cut association on a professional level because of *that* alone not even if I hadn't gotten a single "pressuring" email from them.

If that's the case, and I have no reason to see why it wouldn't be, isn't it just the opinion of the individuals of Playtonic? For so many people claiming an apparent sacredness of opinions, you think they'd want to stop trying to silence and censor the views of Playtonic.

But maybe it isn't actually about that and never was :)

Pgcrooner
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby Pgcrooner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:00 pm

GeneralWalnut wrote:
Pgcrooner wrote:Not everyone feels this way mind you, but most of the comments criticizing playtonic share this sentiment.

Thoughts?

I think it's funny that everybody assumes they MUST but caving to outside pressure (which is always wrong??) and so they want to say things "right" by pressuring them??

If I was in their position I'd probably be pretty frustrated and upset that somebody I associated with publicly in the past started using a platform they had to spout racist (yeah I know according to the guy here who told me I was slandering the white race by saying black people are equal that jontron never said anything racist, believe me. It just turns out there is almost nobody on the planet I'd trust less to define and recognize racism) rhetoric. I'd want to cut association on a professional level because of *that* alone not even if I hadn't gotten a single "pressuring" email from them.

If that's the case, and I have no reason to see why it wouldn't be, isn't it just the opinion of the individuals of Playtonic? For so many people claiming an apparent sacredness of opinions, you think they'd want to stop trying to silence and censor the views of Playtonic.

But maybe it isn't actually about that and never was :)


An interesting observation!

-It kind of comes back to the whole "freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences" arguement. They weren't silencing his views but rather acting accordingly to the things he said. Unfortunately that's also a sword that cuts both ways, nobody here is "silencing" playtonic's views per se (although some might) but the buyers make the choice to voice their disappointment AND as a consequence of Playtonic'a decision (whether you agree or not) they may lose some business as a result.

-I know by looking at most of the opinions in that comment section is that they don't necessarily want the decision overturned. But clarification on whether or not the people have a choice to keep it in.

Should they opt out of the update will future ones and DLC remove the voice?

-If they meet both parties halfway, I'd certainly be satisfied. I'm sure many of the people complaining would be too.

Though not all (you can't please everyone)

But you CAN choose the most amicable route.

I also should note In case I haven't made it obvious that I still support the game.

GeneralWalnut
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:06 am

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby GeneralWalnut » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:22 pm

Pgcrooner wrote:
An interesting observation!

-It kind of comes back to the whole "freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences" arguement. They weren't silencing his views but rather acting accordingly to the things he said. Unfortunately that's also a sword that cuts both ways, nobody here is "silencing" playtonic's views per se (although some might) but the buyers make the choice to voice their disappointment AND as a consequence of Playtonic'a decision (whether you agree or not) they may lose some business as a result.


Oh believe me, I agree 100% that free speech isn't speech free of consequence. I'm just saying that the overwhelming suggestion by the people arguing against this change is that because the racially charged views expressed didn't have anything to do with Yooka-Laylee that there should be no consequences, and that his removal is silencing views different than theirs. I also, as I've indicated, don't think the majority of the people arguing that actually care about free speech or the principle they are arguing, and have been pretty transparent about having views contradict.

I think they're just mad people people are calling jontron racist because they agree with him and are taking it as people indirectly calling them racist. Which I mean, call a rock a rock and all that.


Pgcrooner wrote:-If they meet both parties halfway, I'd certainly be satisfied. I'm sure many of the people complaining would be too.

Though not all (you can't please everyone)

But you CAN choose the most amicable route.

I also should note In case I haven't made it obvious that I still support the game.


The problem is, when the two sides you have are "people are equal" and "people are not equal" that meeting in the middle only ever benefits those arguing inequality, and hurts those who they would seek to oppress. Taking the middle ground in instances like that, historically, of what lead to awful things like the 3/5 compromise.

Obviously this situation is far less important than that, but still acknowledging "people are not equal" as a "side" validates that view in a way it doesn't deserve and that can only cause harm. There is time for compromise but not when it leads to tolerating hateful rhetoric.

And oh yeah I'm only responding now because you seem like you are one of the few actually open to a real discussion. I know I've been prickly at times but that's just my feeling on this whole thing, nothing at you specifically (if that wasn't clear I apologize).

MBFtrace
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Jon Jafari (JonTron) and his role in Yooka-Laylee

Postby MBFtrace » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:44 pm

Pgcrooner wrote:
GeneralWalnut wrote:
Pgcrooner wrote:Not everyone feels this way mind you, but most of the comments criticizing playtonic share this sentiment.

Thoughts?

I think it's funny that everybody assumes they MUST but caving to outside pressure (which is always wrong??) and so they want to say things "right" by pressuring them??

If I was in their position I'd probably be pretty frustrated and upset that somebody I associated with publicly in the past started using a platform they had to spout racist (yeah I know according to the guy here who told me I was slandering the white race by saying black people are equal that jontron never said anything racist, believe me. It just turns out there is almost nobody on the planet I'd trust less to define and recognize racism) rhetoric. I'd want to cut association on a professional level because of *that* alone not even if I hadn't gotten a single "pressuring" email from them.

If that's the case, and I have no reason to see why it wouldn't be, isn't it just the opinion of the individuals of Playtonic? For so many people claiming an apparent sacredness of opinions, you think they'd want to stop trying to silence and censor the views of Playtonic.

But maybe it isn't actually about that and never was :)


An interesting observation!

-It kind of comes back to the whole "freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences" arguement. They weren't silencing his views but rather acting accordingly to the things he said. Unfortunately that's also a sword that cuts both ways, nobody here is "silencing" playtonic's views per se (although some might) but the buyers make the choice to voice their disappointment AND as a consequence of Playtonic'a decision (whether you agree or not) they may lose some business as a result.

-I know by looking at most of the opinions in that comment section is that they don't necessarily want the decision overturned. But clarification on whether or not the people have a choice to keep it in.

Should they opt out of the update will future ones and DLC remove the voice?

-If they meet both parties halfway, I'd certainly be satisfied. I'm sure many of the people complaining would be too.

Though not all (you can't please everyone)

But you CAN choose the most amicable route.

I also should note In case I haven't made it obvious that I still support the game.


You really can't equate the oppressed with the oppressors. Jontron espoused blatant racist, white supremacist remarks and now people are complaining that he's getting called out on his poo-poo. There aren't two sides debating here, you have one side complaining they can't post racist poo-poo on the internet because they get called out on it, and the other side of minorities and people fighting for equal rights that are calling them out on it.

There is no middle ground to that, and arguing that there is one is basically the same as saying that black people are racially predisposed to criminal activity. Anyone trying to make a "free speech" argument about this really needs to take a step back and look at the whole picture for a minute. There IS a right side and a wrong side to this argument.

Pgcrooner wrote:Not everyone feels this way mind you, but most of the comments criticizing playtonic share this sentiment.

Thoughts?


I just wanted to call you out on this, you can't substitute "diverse opinions" and "racist opinions" like they're interchangeable. They definitely do not mean the same thing, and should not be held to the same standard. Playtonic celebrates diversity, and that's why they made this decision to keep a white supremacist out of their game. And yes, it's your right to not buy the game because of that just the same as it's their decisions to remove him.
Last edited by MBFtrace on Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “Community Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests