Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Scrubber » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:53 am

I have about 5 days to finish off the shrines. Think I have about 10-15 of them left. Then I'll be done and ready for yooka Laylee.

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:23 pm

Yeah, I've got 8 left. It's going to be a bit hard to find them all. But it's good to know that you probably need to beat every divine beast in order to reach every shrine... Even though I wanted to get the "thing" as soon as possible, well, the game gets more interesting with some bigger dungeons and story segments in between.

User avatar
Yoshi
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:23 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Yoshi » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:58 pm

You only need to defeat three (specific) beasts to play all shrines. The
Goron one
is not required.

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Scrubber » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:57 pm

I have done 117 shrines. Cant see any more on my map. Will it notify or award me when I've done them all?

GeneralWalnut
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:06 am

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby GeneralWalnut » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:34 am

I beat it (all shrines) about a week ago and I can't stop thinking about that dang game and have periodically gone back to it just to run around and upgrade some armor. What a video game.

Scrubber wrote:I have done 117 shrines. Cant see any more on my map. Will it notify or award me when I've done them all?

Yeah it'll be really clear when you get them all

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:21 am

Yoshi wrote:You only need to defeat three (specific) beasts to play all shrines. The
Goron one
is not required.


Thanks for the info! Definitely saving that one for later now, since I want that reward for getting all shrines next before professing further.

Are the memories also required in order to reach every shrine? I have a suspicion... Please no details on why, just yes or no :)

User avatar
Yoshi
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:23 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Yoshi » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:40 am

No, they are not. Be warned though that you are sparing the easiest and most boring dungeon in the game for the last this way.

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Yoshi wrote:No, they are not. Be warned though that you are sparing the easiest and most boring dungeon in the game for the last this way.


Yeah well, too late. But i heard about this before, so I'm keeping my expectations low. Getting all shrines is my first priority anyway, even if the search is tough.

About that:

Theres this shrine that gets activate when the Bloodmoon rises... or something. Let me guess: This is hard to time, isn't it?

User avatar
dotEXE
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby dotEXE » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:29 pm

You could probably just make campfires and wait nights until it happens. Or use Inns and then teleport to the closest landmark.

I can't believe you're getting all shrines before finishing the game though. The last area is going to be an absolute snore. I had patience for about 80 of the shrines and the last castle was still mind numbingly easy. I really enjoyed the game, but the shrines are all very similar, the divine beast dungeons are simple and boring, and the experience is overall a slog.

Like I said, I greatly enjoyed my time with the game and would probably give it a high 8 if not a 9, but I was glad when my time was over. I certainly won't be bothering to find all 900 seeds. It's unlikely I'll go find the last shrines either.
Make the forum great again.

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:41 pm

dotEXE wrote:You could probably just make campfires and wait nights until it happens. Or use Inns and then teleport to the closest landmark.

I can't believe you're getting all shrines before finishing the game though. The last area is going to be an absolute snore. I had patience for about 80 of the shrines and the last castle was still mind numbingly easy. I really enjoyed the game, but the shrines are all very similar, the divine beast dungeons are simple and boring, and the experience is overall a slog.

Like I said, I greatly enjoyed my time with the game and would probably give it a high 8 if not a 9, but I was glad when my time was over. I certainly won't be bothering to find all 900 seeds. It's unlikely I'll go find the last shrines either.


I read about some weird methods that apparently work for some, but decided to go the f*** it route and do this:

I wasn't able to get it to work. By now, I was tired of trying to get this Shrine (it was my last one). So I came up with a method that doesn't involve wasting real life time.
Dock your Switch
What ever controller you are using, make sure its charging somehow. I was using an extra pair of joy-cons, and the joy-con charging grip.
Go into the Switch menu and find the sleep timer options. For "When connected to TV" set it to never.
Go to the Shrine pedestal. Stand on it. Strip off all your armor and equipment.
Turn off your TV and go do something else.
By the time I came back a couple hours later, the Shrine had popped up. A blood moon triggered somewhere in that time frame. This may obviously take shorter or longer for some. This works because there are no nearby enemies and even during a lightning storm you won't get hit because you're under cover.

That's somewhere in the same Reddit Thread. You will also want to switch off that function that makes your Switch control your tv and vice versa, or else your tv will turn your Switch off as well.

Yeah, I kinda had fun finding them though. I consider this the typical challenges you can set for yourself in such a game. I'm missing only 7 (or if I get the shrine above eventually, 6) shrines. Plus, there's a book with hints for many other shrines at the Blood Moon one. If that won't help, I'll look the remaining ones up eventually. But I need that reward :mrgreen:

Well this game probably doesn't tick as much with you as it does with me, but I get where you're coming from. And let's be honest: More than 90 hours of playtime is really enough. No way I'm going to find all Korok seeds - I'm fine with having gotten enough handweapon slots already and finding shrines feels grindy enough, even though I still like the little quests that are connected with them. Which "last area" are you exactly talking about?

User avatar
Yoshi
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:23 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Yoshi » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:47 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Yoshi wrote:No, they are not. Be warned though that you are sparing the easiest and most boring dungeon in the game for the last this way.


Yeah well, too late. But i heard about this before, so I'm keeping my expectations low. Getting all shrines is my first priority anyway, even if the search is tough.

About that:

Theres this shrine that gets activate when the Bloodmoon rises... or something. Let me guess: This is hard to time, isn't it?

Well, consider that you only need to step on the plate the same night and there is a shrine nearby from which you can get to the position in question in a reasonably short timeframe. I'd suggest just looking for the other shrines after checking the area and as soon as the event happens to go there.

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Scrubber » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:25 am

I left the game idle while making and eating tea. It took about half an hour.

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:00 am

Scrubber wrote:I left the game idle while making and eating tea. It took about half an hour.


Yep, worked for me. I used this map for the remaining 5 shrines, because I didn't want to bother any longer with that quest, but let's say, it's absolutely worth it once you bet it (for me personally). I got more excited again with continuing playing through all the other quests!

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Scrubber » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:12 pm

I wish after you beat Ganon the side quests would appear on the map. How am I supposed to find them all?

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:10 am

Scrubber wrote:I wish after you beat Ganon the side quests would appear on the map. How am I supposed to find them all?


Is there even a reward for doing this? I'm fine with stumbling around and finding some quests randomly. In fact, I'll have to start doing the ones in my quest log first, there's already so much to do.

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Scrubber » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:43 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Scrubber wrote:I wish after you beat Ganon the side quests would appear on the map. How am I supposed to find them all?


Is there even a reward for doing this? I'm fine with stumbling around and finding some quests randomly. In fact, I'll have to start doing the ones in my quest log first, there's already so much to do.

I don't know. I've completely cleaned up my quest log I've got nothing in there. Side quests are currently at 50/76 shrine quests are currently at 38/42

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Scrubber » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:12 pm

Just beat my 120th shrine and nothing happened?

User avatar
Rueckkoppler
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Scrubber wrote:Just beat my 120th shrine and nothing happened?


Didn't you get a special quest at the end? Maybe you skipped the final dialogue too fast, but you're given a quest called "The priests gift" or something.

User avatar
Scrubber
Posts: 1376
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby Scrubber » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:20 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Scrubber wrote:Just beat my 120th shrine and nothing happened?


Didn't you get a special quest at the end? Maybe you skipped the final dialogue too fast, but you're given a quest called "The priests gift" or something.

Yeah got it, I powered up my stamina and hearts, put on the green tunic and beat Ganon for a third time. I'm finished with BOTW now and Yooka Laylee has arrived. What perfect timing.

Anyone still undecided about Zelda on Switch, get it. Fantastic game.

User avatar
EekumBokum202
Posts: 238
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:19 am
Location: Pittsford, NY
Contact:

Re: Zelda - Breath of the Wild and green tunics [slight spoilers]

Postby EekumBokum202 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:35 pm

When I get back to Breath of the Wild, I'll be sure to read about this. I'm procrastinating as is, because I can't make the time to explore and figure out how to do things in that game...


Return to “Community Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron