POLL: Playtonic Kart Racer + Online Multiplayer

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?

Would online multiplayer be important to you in a Playtonic kart racer?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 40

Rueckkoppler

Re: POLL: Playtonic Kart Racer + Online Multiplayer

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:38 pm

Scrubber wrote:
FailureFactory wrote:I may be a minority, but I really don't care about a YL kart racer. I didn't feel all that much of a connection to YL's cast, and so right now I don't see what a YL racer could offer that Mario Kart doesn't have. I don't want to just assume that a Playtonic racer will automatically be as good as DKR.

I agree. Yooka Laylees cast of characters was weak. The NPCs were uninspired, forgettable and lacking in personality.

Good reason to work on a Y-L sequel first? But if you think about it: They could also just develop new characters that will appear in the sequel, but first in the kart racer. It doesn't really matter, but from what I've heard so far, they should really spend some time in character design.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:44 am

I'm totally indifferent to online multiplayer.

Tek

Postby Tek » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:56 am

A bit of an old thread now, I know, but an article that came out today has some comments from Gavin Price regarding making a potential racing game someday.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... oka-laylee

There are a number of interesting things discussed in the article, but this particular quote I thought was pretty relevant to the topic of this thread.
"We'd love to do something in that genre," Price admits. "But that requires a large investment with that kind of multiplayer component. One day, we will be having conversations about that. I'm 37... there's probably another 30 years in me, fingers crossed. I would say that within the next 30 years, there may be a possibility of a kart game."

So the two things I gather from that statement is that:
    1. While it may not be for quite some time, they do like the idea of making a kart/racing game someday, and
    2. They recognize the immense importance of the multiplayer component in such a game, which is good to hear.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:18 pm

Tek wrote:http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-28-the-second-launch-of-yooka-laylee

There are a number of interesting things discussed in the article, but this particular quote I thought was pretty relevant to the topic of this thread.
"We'd love to do something in that genre," Price admits. "But that requires a large investment with that kind of multiplayer component. One day, we will be having conversations about that. I'm 37... there's probably another 30 years in me, fingers crossed. I would say that within the next 30 years, there may be a possibility of a kart game."
[/list]

This seems to me that either:

1. They have no plans for a kart racer at the moment.
or
2. They will start a Kickstarter to get the "large investment".
Taylonic Ltd.

Return to “Community Discussion”