RUMOR: SNES Classic Edition coming this Christmas, NES Classic discontinued because of it

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
EekumBokum202

RUMOR: SNES Classic Edition coming this Christmas, NES Classic discontinued because of it

Postby EekumBokum202 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:47 am

So rumor has it that there's an SNES Classic Edition in the works at Nintendo, and that's why they canceled the NES Classic Edition.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... -this-year

Regardless of the validity of this rumor, I think how Nintendo handled the NES Classic Edition is bullcrap, under-stocking them at every store, barely even trying to restock, then canceling production outright. I never got an NES Classic Edition and now I never will, not because I don't want one, but because I don't want those damn scalpers to come out on top because of this! It's like the whole time Nintendo was feeding the scalpers and barely cared what the average consumer wanted, because hey, they made the money in the end, so whatever! It's like amiibo all over again, only Nintendo eventually DID make enough amiibo to meet the demand (either that or people got burnt on amiibo). With all that said, if Nintendo doesn't learn from the NES Classic Edition fiasco, I will not even feign interest in it, because I'm sick of Nintendo pulling this crap over and over!

...That having been said, I HAVE dreamed of an SNES Classic Edition since the original NES Classic Edition was announced, and aside from having similar saving features the NES Classic Edition had and longer cords for their controllers (seriously, what was up with that?), here are the games I'd like to see on the system:

-Chrono Trigger
-Donkey Kong Country
-Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
-Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
-EarthBound
-F-Zero
-Final Fantasy VI (called Final Fantasy III initially in the West)
-Illusion of Gaia
-Kirby Super Star
-Kirby's Dream Course
-Kirby's Dream Land 3
-Pilotwings
-Mega Man X
-Secret of Mana
-SimCity (if they're able to, which given that they're still able to use Dr. Wright, I assume so)
-Star Fox
-Stunt Race FX
-Super Castlevania IV
-Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
-Super Mario All-Stars
-Super Mario Kart
-Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
-Super Mario World
-Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
-Super Metroid
-Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
-Super Punch-Out!!
-Tetris & Dr. Mario
-Tetris Attack
-The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I tried to keep my list to either Nintendo games and popular SNES games, but I also threw in some games I'd like to see. Clearly I'm missing a lot of popular ones like Harvest Moon, Final Fight, and Killer Instinct, but a.) some of them have weird licensing issues (like with Rare) and b.) I'm going to assume it's 30 games again, so I tried to narrow it down a bit. But by all means, if you have games you'd like to see, please share it! It's only a matter of time, after all...

ontels

Re: RUMOR: SNES Classic Edition coming this Christmas, NES Classic discontinued because of it

Postby ontels » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:27 am

SNES was just sliiiightly before my time, I'll wait for the N64 classic edition!
Pagies in cagies

moritasan2040

Re: RUMOR: SNES Classic Edition coming this Christmas, NES Classic discontinued because of it

Postby moritasan2040 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:27 pm

But, Ontels, the Super NES is the best console ever made! I loved my N64, and my GameCube, but nothing beats the library of the Super NES. Also, N64 was like a prototype or testing grounds for 3D gaming, where-as Super NES was the final hurrah of 2D gaming, so it was at its peak.

To add to that list, I would want Star Fox 2. It's so much fun. Sadly, tho, I know we'll never get Star Fox, Star Fox 2, or my one of the most important games to me...Yoshi's Island... :'<

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:28 pm

Put Super Probotector and B.O.B on and you have a sale.

bjaxx87

Postby bjaxx87 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:54 am

I'd love to see Dragon Quest V and VI, two of my favorite JRPGs next to Chrono Trigger. The SNES versions never got officially translated, though, so it's unlikely...

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:59 pm

Something tells me Nintendo of America isn't going to translate any Japanese-exclusive games with this one. Heck, the NES Classic Edition in North America was much different than Japan's Nintendo Classic Mini: Family Computer.

Just for comparison, here are games that both versions had:

-Balloon Fight
-Castlevania
-Donkey Kong
-Double Dragon II: The Revenge
-Dr. Mario
-Excitebike
-Galaga
-Ghosts 'n Goblins
-Gradius
-Ice Climber
-Kirby's Adventure
-Mario Bros
-Mega Man 2
-Metroid
-Ninja Gaiden
-Pac-Man
-Super C
-Super Mario Bros
-Super Mario Bros. 2
-Super Mario Bros. 3
-The Legend of Zelda
-Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Here's what the North American and PAL regions had:

-Bubble Bobble
-Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
-Donkey Kong Jr.
-Final Fantasy
-Kid Icarus
-Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
-StarTropics
-Tecmo Bowl

And here's what the Famicom-Mini had:

-Atlantis no Nazo ("The Mystery of Atlantis")
-Downtown Nekketsu Kōshinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundōkai ("Downtown Nekketsu March: Let's Go to the Great Athletic Meet", basically a sequel to River City Ransom)
-Final Fantasy III
-NES Open Tournament Golf
-Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari ("Downtown Hot-Blooded Story", this actually WAS River City Ransom)
-Solomon's Key
-Tsuppari Ōzumō (basically a sumo wrestling game)
-Yie Ar Kung-Fu

...Really, when I look at it, the games they decided to release for both systems are odd. I mean, granted, some make sense, Final Fantasy III on the NES/Famicom was never released outside japan and is basically an improvement over the original Final Fantasy, StarTropics was never released in Japan, some games are more popular in Japan than in the west and vice versa, but then there are games like NES Open Tournament Golf, Solomon's Key, and Kid Icarus, which I'm surprised weren't in both versions... I guess some games are more memorable in some reasons than others... I know for a fact that Punch-Out!! is WAY more popular in the West than in Japan, so there's that.

Return to “Community Discussion”