A Hat in Time - Indie 3D Platformer

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
wicked_puma

A Hat in Time - Indie 3D Platformer

Postby wicked_puma » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:26 am

I'm surprised to not see anything about this here! I'm sure it's up everyone's alley...

A Hat in Time is releasing on Steam for PC October 5th, and then Xbox One and Playstation 4 later this fall:

https://twitter.com/hatintime

As YL fans I'm sure we're all looking forward to it!

Rueckkoppler

Re: A Hat in Time - Indie 3D Platformer

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:18 pm

Yes and I’m looking forward to this one like crazy! I backed for the N64 box, but I also have the beta on Steam which turned into the real game apparently... looks like I’ll be ready for it’s unlock :mrgreen:

LittleGreen

Postby LittleGreen » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:45 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:Yes and I’m looking forward to this one like crazy! I backed for the N64 box, but I also have the beta on Steam which turned into the real game apparently... looks like I’ll be ready for it’s unlock :mrgreen:

I was also confused my Beta was turned into the full version, although Humblebundle is apparently going to send me another code, for the full version...again? :D
Sadly i´m a late "backer", totally missed it back then. :(

But i´m also super hyped for this game. The alpha was great, the Beta even more and the jump to the most recent build in the speedrun was REALLY impressive!

So excited. ^^
"Untwerwegs in Düsterburg" an great Adventure, full of sarcasm, humor and adventuring!
Link: http://lparchive.org/Unterwegs-in-Duesterburg/Update%2001/
Remake: https://www.facebook.com/UiDuesterburg?fref=ts

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:53 pm

LittleGreen wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:Yes and I’m looking forward to this one like crazy! I backed for the N64 box, but I also have the beta on Steam which turned into the real game apparently... looks like I’ll be ready for it’s unlock :mrgreen:

I was also confused my Beta was turned into the full version, although Humblebundle is apparently going to send me another code, for the full version...again? :D

But i´m also super hyped for this game. The alpha was great, the Beta even more and the jump to the most recent build in the speedrun was REALLY impressive!

So excited. ^^

Yeah and when I finally noticed that they “turned” the beta into the speed run event, it was over. I didn’t even know how this was supposed to work... anyway. Did it include levels from the beta mostly?

LittleGreen

Postby LittleGreen » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:48 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:
LittleGreen wrote:

So excited. ^^

Yeah and when I finally noticed that they “turned” the beta into the speed run event, it was over. I didn’t even know how this was supposed to work... anyway. Did it include levels from the beta mostly?

The Speedrun?
Nah, the Speedrun Event was running in the final build and was pretty impressive, how much better it felt, than the Beta.

It´s a little sad, the game isn´t avaiable at 00:00 Today.
Steam says at this point the game takes another whole day to be unlocked...

So 05.10. at 22:00? :/
"Untwerwegs in Düsterburg" an great Adventure, full of sarcasm, humor and adventuring!

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Yes, at the latest. I didn't get a response so who knows when exactly.

Yes that might be, but I'm mostly talking about the game entry in my Steam library. The beta vanished and I saw the Speerun-Event-build there, before that changed into the full game from what I can see.

LittleGreen

Postby LittleGreen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:31 am

So, i 100% A Hat in Time a few days ago and I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT.
Seriously, that game was THAT good.

The Characters, the worlds, the controls, the voice acting, the music and the bosses.
This is one of the best platformers i´ve ever played.

And even if it´s relatively short (i´ve needed 27h to make 100%) every second was worth it.

Highly recommend it! :)

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:15 pm

what is the goal in the game?

in rare game its to get banana/jiggies/pagies.

but in hat of time what it is?

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:24 am

I was so confused about the release date for this game for years, not to mention I got it in my head somewhere that the developers behind this game were bad, or at least not very nice people. I think someone called them arrogant or something, and I don't know why that stuck with me, but for whatever reason, it prevented me from immediately buying this game when it came out. Now I know the game is good, but I still never got any kind of clarification on who the developer is/was and what they're like... I'll definitely get the game eventually, but not at the moment.

Hopix

Postby Hopix » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Amazing game. Kinda short though. Completed it in 9 hours.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:15 pm

bigfanofoldrare wrote:what is the goal in the game?

in rare game its to get banana/jiggies/pagies.

but in hat of time what it is?

Collecting time pieces (in the shape of sand clocks) which Hat Kid lost & needs to power her ship with in order to get back home.

Brutalikus

Postby Brutalikus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:46 am

This game is very well done! I'd highly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of 3D platformers!

Unlike the typical games of its style, A Hat in Time only has one major type of collectible, which are Time Pieces (pretty much the equivalent to jiggies). The other collectibles (yarn and coins) are useful because they allow you to make new hats and to get rewards like new songs and new colors for Hat Kid's clothes, but you don't really need collect every one of them, which is kind of relaxing compared to usual collect-a-thon type games.

One thing A Hat in Time does better then most games out there is that it gives sense of exploration, adventure and wonder. It makes you feel like a little kid playing on giant jungle gyms, which is feeling that no one has really managed capture better than this. There aren't a lot of levels, but they are all pretty expansive and have all sorts of interesting things laying around. Personally, since I LOVE the picture mode (you unlock it pretty quickly in the first level), I spend a lot of time just goofing around in each level to find fun new spots to observe and capture on film.

I'd also like to note that while most bits of the game are pretty easy, the charm and story surrounding each mission makes it easy to forget that there isn't a lot of variety in the combat. Quite frankly, combat feels like it isn't the point, and for the most part, that isn't a bad thing.

Like many have mentioned, this game is relatively short at the moment (unless you spent a lot of time screwing around with the camera mode) and has some minor glitches in certain parts (I still can't figure out how to fix the camera mode filters :| ), so be aware of that. This game probably also won't appeal to anyone looking for more serious and challenging tasks since quirky humor and expansive exploration seems to be the clear emphasis. Just be aware of that in case you're looking to check this game out.

I'd strongly recommend checking out this game. It is definitely worth the while.

Return to “Community Discussion”