Bye bye, Miiverse!

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
ShanPen

Bye bye, Miiverse!

Postby ShanPen » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:45 am

Anyone else sad about Nintendo's announcement that they're going to be shutting down Miiverse (Nintendo's version of a social media platform) forever early this November?

Many 3DS and Wii U games use the Miiverse platform for certain in-game features (such as the Tingle Bottle feature in Zelda Wind Waker for Wii U which lets you send and find messages in bottles while you're sailing around the ocean), so I think it's a pity they're shutting it down already, especially when the 3DS is still going strong.

I know Miiverse was often filled with a lot of kids posting annoying stuff, but I liked how it was a social media platform for gamers where you could join the "communities" of your favourite games to see (and send) posts related to only those games, and I liked seeing all the amazing drawing fans of games would post, or amusing posts by people who weren't just kids being annoying.
Whereas the Switch uses Facebook or Twitter instead, which I don't like because I don't want to be spamming all my non-gamer friends on Facebook with my game screen shots, so I made a Twitter account just for my Switch posts, but since I don't have any friends on Twitter (because I do not really want another social media platform to deal with), there's not that same fun experience of getting to share funny or weird gaming posts with people who might appreciate them like what Miiverse achieved.

Anyone else here going to miss Miiverse, and/or any of the Wii U or 3DS game features that will no longer work after Miiverse ends?

Oh and if anyone who uses Miiverse wants to save their Miiverse posts, you have to log in to the desktop version of Miiverse before it is shut down and click "Request Post History". Here's the link to do so:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/settings/download_request

Rueckkoppler

Re: Bye bye, Miiverse!

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:25 pm

ShanPen wrote:Whereas the Switch uses Facebook or Twitter instead, which I don't like because I don't want to be spamming all my non-gamer friends on Facebook with my game screen shots, so I made a Twitter account just for my Switch posts, but since I don't have any friends on Twitter (because I do not really want another social media platform to deal with), there's not that same fun experience of getting to share funny or weird gaming posts with people who might appreciate them like what Miiverse achieved.

That's exactly my problem with Facebook/Twitter integration on such networks. My biggest gripe will be the missing messages on the Miiverse stage in Smash Bros., since it was always filled with silly memes and hilarious pictures. But I think Nintendo might bring some kind of successor. I mean, why not? Did they ever explain that they won't ever do a social network again?

Anyhow, technically, there's always the opportunity to bring that back (while being tied to the Nintendo account). I think there's much to anticipate with the Switch in the coming years :)

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:50 am

I hope you manage to get in a lot of time playing that Miivers Smash Bros. level in the last few days to enjoy it while it lasts! I haven't touched my Switch in weeks because I've been making the most of the Tingle Bottle feature in Zelda Wind Waker on Wii U before it disappears forever :cry:.

I really hope they do something like Miiverse with the Switch, but I'm not holding out much hope. I did some reading when I first found out about Miiverse ending, and I'm pretty sure I read that Nintendo said they saw no point continuing it because everyone uses external social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter so much that they didn't see a need for their own social media platform.
I'm also cynical that Nintendo are getting rid of it because Miiverse is free, and they want everyone to move across to the Nintendo Switch Online feature that they are about to start charging money for in 2018, rather than people hanging around on Miiverse to talk to their friends for free there.

I would love if there was something like Miiverse included in the Switch paid service, but even if there was I don't think it would be as fun because one of the great things about Miiverse is the drawing aspect, but it is impossible to draw well using the Switch (I seriously don't know how some of those people posting detailed drawings to Splatoon 2 are doing that, they must have so much free time because it takes so long just to draw something basic using the joysticks).

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Miiverse was simultaneously the best and the worst part about the Wii U, a large of Nintendo and gaming fans, with individual sub-communities for each game on the Wii U that people can share their enthusiasm (and criticism, and... other things) directly *Iwata gestrue* with fellow fans and even with Nintendo itself! I kind of wished Nintendo continued it with the Switch, but alas, I guess we'll have to make due with Facebook and Twitter to share are Switch-related stuff.

Return to “Community Discussion”