What kind of an audience of gamers is here? Tell me about yourself.

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
RikuKH

What kind of an audience of gamers is here? Tell me about yourself.

Postby RikuKH » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:55 am

What was your very first game? What games did you play as a kid? Which Rare/Rareware games have you played? What are your favorite games of all time? What games have you recently played?

I've pretty much owned every Nintendo console and only a PSP outside of Nintendo. The very first game I played was Mario Bros. on the NES and the first game and console I owned was Mario 64. Other huge nostalgia factors for me are Rayman games, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, Yoshi's Island, Pokemon Stadium 2, Melee, Pokemon Blue and Sapphire, Wolfenstein: ET, Runescape, Knight Online, and of course Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64 and DKC (my first GBA game).

I later played Banjo Tooie and Grunty's Revenge, but DKC is STILL the only Rareware game I've ever finished... I've pretty much almost reached the end of the game in each game, but DK64 and B&K for example were too difficult for me as a kid, and because the other two were on emulators, even though I got far in those games, other games drew my attention away from them in the end. But all of those games would pretty much be the few games which I would gladly still play again, even the GBA B&K, I loved it.
Oh, and I beat Goldeneye a few years ago. That one wasn't as memorable, though..

And here's a list of my favorite games of all time:
-Kid Icarus: Uprising
-999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors/Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
-Rayman 2/3/M
-Yume Nikki
-Anima: Ark of Sinners
-Zelda: Skyward Sword
-Quake/Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory/C.O.R.E
-Super Smash Bros. Melee/Brawl
-Phantasy Star Zero/Portable 2/Online 2
-Guitar Hero: Metallica
-Zelda PH/ST/OoT/MM
-Metroid Prime: Hunters/Dementium 2

And other waffles (I would kind of like to hide these somehow, because this post is quite long, but I don't know how to do that...[ spoiler tags didn't work ]):
I really love Nintendo DS, because it's like a portable N64 with new innovative games. And Wii U is also just perfect, because it's like a huge home console version of the DS. I hope it would stay for... at least 4 or 5 more years...
I should really play Ace Attorney/Professor Layton some day, I'm sure I'll love them, because of 999/VLR.
I like Yume Nikki and Anima because of their absolutely perfect atmosphere.
My friend recently introduced me to Rune Factory 3, which also has an awesome atmosphere (except different) and quite a lot of variety in a way. ...Then I decided to try Harvest Moon: A New Beginning... all 50 hours I played were just.. painful. I apologize for the people who liked it. I would also want to try to learn to like it...
Blood of Bahamut, a game for the DS, which never saw release outside Japan was recently translated, and the multiplayer in it is AWESOME.
Guitar Hero for the DS was an awesome invention.
Mario Slam Basketball/3 on 3 has epic controls, but it's hard to find people who would be interested to learn to play it with me... such a fun game.
And a final mention, I absolutely loved Cave Story 3D remake, and I would love to get more stuff like that. Remakes of old, or indie games, like ...Earthbound/Mother, or Ib, Mad Father, etc.

Gosh, there's just so freaking much to talk about, I could come up with a lot of other stuff, like about games I've recently played for example... anyway, I'd love to hear what kind of other gamers are here and who are actually interested in Playtonic.

polomi

Re: What kind of an audience of gamers is here? Tell me about yourself.

Postby polomi » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:53 pm

Interesting... There'll obviously be a huge Nintendo/Rare bias in this thread, we're here because we love them in the first place. :D

My first game: Sonic the Hedgehog

Systems I played on, in chronological order: Sega Genesis, N64, GameCube, DS, Wii, 3DS, PC.

My favorite games of all time:
  • Nintendo 3DS
    • Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
  • GameCube
    • Metroid Prime
    • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Nintendo 64
    • Banjo-Kazooie
    • Jet Force Gemini
    • Perfect Dark
  • PC
    • BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
    • Half-Life 2 (including ep 1 & 2)
    • Hotline Miami
    • Natural Selection 2
    • Portal
    • Rayman Origins
    • Shattered Horizon
    • SpaceChem
    • Spelunky

Those are all the games I rated 5/5. Anything else that I touched is rated lower. :D

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:59 pm

I wouldn't consider myself a 'gamer'; not any more. I used to play a lot when I was younger, but now I mostly play games from my childhood for the nostalgia. When I do pick up a game, it's almost always a Nintendo title, or a retro game I'd never played before. I don't like gritty realism.

Games I'm playing now, or really enjoyed:

• Everything Rare (before Microsoft)
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Spyro the Dragon
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Mario Kart 8 (and the entire series)
  • Mario Party (thinking of getting 10)
  • World of Warcraft
  • Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee

Disclaimer: I have a bad memory, so I've probably missed loads of my favourite games. :cry:
Taylonic Ltd.

Jaresk

Postby Jaresk » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:03 pm

I'm not sure what my first game was, but earliest memory, it's Super Mario World.

Order of consoles, we got in our house a NES, SNES, N64, then after wanting a Gamecube, we got a PS2, then I bought a PS3 like a year after it came out and a Wii the year where they announced games like Kirby Epic Yarn at E3. I don't have money anymore though, so most of my gaming time is spent on the PC but I am revisiting some older games from the somewhat big-ish library I've been making. If I had money, I'd probably try to get a PS4, a powerful PC that can actually run 3D games (as in graphics, not glasses) and not crash as often when I use certain drawing programs. Maybe a WiiU, but so far, nothing amazing seems to be coming out for it, so I'd wait still.

Handheld, we got a Game Boy, Gameboy Advance SP, and a DSi.

Banjo-Kazooie is one of my favorite games in a nostalgic way. I also love Kirby Superstar, Super Mario World and Majora's Mask. For more recent favorites based more on gameplay, any Battlefield games are my favorite for the multiplayer aspect of it. Dead Space 1 and 2 are great. I also really like Super Meat Boy, the Binding of Isaac (Rebirth), Skyrim, the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Terraria (looking forward to this June when the game might update again then!).

All I can think of the top of my head right now.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:08 pm

The first game I played was Super Mario World at my uncle's house, but the first I owned and beat was Pokemon Snap. I own a 2600, SNES, Genesis, N64, PS2, GC, 360, Wii, Wii U, XBox One, DS, and 3DS, but most of my time gaming nowadays is spent on my laptop.

My favorite single player games in order from best down:
1) Cave Story
2) Metroid Prime 3
3) Kid Icarus Uprising
4) Mother 3
5) Majora's Mask
6) Banjo Kazooie
7) Elemental Gimmick Gear
8) Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
9) Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
10) Donkey Kong Country 2

I don't really consider multiplayer games to be good for the same reasons single player ones are, so I left MMOs, shooters, and fighting games off the list. KIU remains because it has a strong single player to back up its multiplayer.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

NiloStudo

Postby NiloStudo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:04 pm

As I said in the 'Introduce Yourself' topic, I'm in a strange category of 'love Rare's works but barely experienced any of them personally.' I played a bit of DKC 1 and 2, Banjo Kazooie and Diddy Kong Racing, and got my arse kicked at Goldeneye multiplayer, but that's as far as it goes. I've also seen entire playthroughs of BK1/2 and Starfox Adventures, as well as all the beta footage I can drag up.

I seem to be more of a game observer than a game player these days. I love watching other people complete games whether in person or via internet.

My first experience with video games was Pacman on the Atari 2600 (My age is showing *cough*) though I've also owned a Sega Mega Drive 2/Genesis and a Nintendo console from the N64 generation onward. Poor N64 has developed a hardware-based sporadic reset issue which has rendered it unplayable. Anyone got ideas how I might be able to fix that?

Been a Mario Kart and Pokemon fan since the late 90s, but I'm not as into the main series games of Pokemon as I used to be. I also had a stint with the 'Worms' games on PC for a couple years. Then there was the stuff like 'Earthworm Jim', 'Zool', 'Sonic the Hedgehog'...things I got to play on friends' computers before I ever owned one, but lodged themselves into my memory.

Some of my most treasured games are that way for nostalgic reasons - Zelda : Ocarina of Time because it was the first time I'd been exposed to a 'cinematic' game experience. Kirby 64 because it triggered a bunch of cool developments in my life. Jazz Jackrabbit 2 because...I played that game a lot in my teens and loved the sprites and soundtrack.

More recently, "And Yet it Moves" was a really creative indie game to play. "Rayman Origins" and its sequel were fun, hilarious and teeth-grindingly challenging in places. And I got some shameless entertainment out of playing "Lego City Undercover" XD
Last edited by NiloStudo on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:10 pm

First game ever played was probably Combat on the first Atari system, as well as their terrible Pac-Man port.

Rare games I have played are:
Battletoads,
Dkc series,
Blast Corps,
Killer Instinct Gold.
B-K.
B-T.
DK 64.
Jet Force Gemini.
Goldeneye.
Perfect Dark.
Conkers.
Ghoulies.
Kameo.
Viva Pinata-both.
Nuts and Bolts.
Perfect Dark Zero.

Favorite games all time are.
Perfect Dark.
Banjo-Tooie.
Dragons Lair.
Mario 64.
Zelda OOT.
SEGA NFL 95. (Lol.)
Fallout 3.
Metroid.
Kid Icarus.
Perfect Dark Zero. (This game is hard for me to define. I hate it for what its not but, I love it for what it is.)
Minecraft.
Nuts and Bolts. (See PD0.)
Borderlands 1&2.

Currently playing.
Darksiders.
Perfect Dark XBLA.
Minecraft.
Fallout 3.
State of Decay.
Killer Instinct. X-Bone.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:15 pm

Shawnsim wrote:Killer Instinct. X-Bone.

How's Season 2? I left towards the end of Season 1 when the original developers made the game buggier and uglier every patch and Spinal and Fulgore launched extremely underpowered.

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:26 pm

GrayMagicΓ wrote:
Shawnsim wrote:Killer Instinct. X-Bone.

How's Season 2? I left towards the end of Season 1 when the original developers made the game buggier and uglier every patch and Spinal and Fulgore launched extremely underpowered.

I am actually liking season 2 very much. Things are pretty well ironed out (imo) as far as character strength goes. They have been tweaking the characters quite a lot, most notably Orchid. I also quite like the new characters with the exception of Aganos. Just haven't used him much.

On topic. I completely forgot Rayman 2 on my all time list.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:39 pm

I am definitely a gamer, i play games every single day.

First game was Super Mario World on the Super Nintendo

Consoles owned:
Snes
N64
Gamecube
Wii
XBox 360
Wii U
XBox One

Favorite games:
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Super Mario Sunshine
Donkey Kong Country

Most recent played:
Project Spark
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

Blue

Postby Blue » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:24 pm

My very first game was Super Mario 64.
At some point, I transitioned from owning mainly Nintendo consoles to owning almost all Sony consoles. The Wii U is my first Nintendo console since the N64. What can I say? Sony's console generation mascots appeal to me more sometimes, and I prefer playing multi-plats on Sony consoles as well. Games that tend to pull my nostalgia buttons are: Banjo-Kazooie, Golden Eye 007, Conker, Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando, Jak and Daxter, and Sly Cooper. Special honors to the staff roll of SM64 for still making me tear up.

My favorite games of all time are the same ones that give me those nostalgic feels in addition to:
-Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time: Beautiful game with amazing characters, beautiful graphics, and a good story.
-Bioshock: Infinite: May the Circle Be Unbroken.
-BloodBorne:(it's given me Stockholm Syndrome, tbh)
-Bayonetta 1 and 2: *wolf-whistle* Insane and over the top but never unfair. Action games will never be the same thanks to Platinum Games.
-Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles: These games blew my mind when I first played them. Good music and gameplay.
-Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventures: He's a possum with a sword and jet-pack.
-Rayman Legends/Origins: These games ooze with style.
-Donkey Kong Country 2 and Tropical Freeze: Difficult and fun.
-Kingdom Hearts 2: A convoluted story at times, but the game is still solid to this day.
-Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch: This game gave me for sad feels than a game has any right to.
-Mass Effect 2: I wouldn't know where to start.

My taste in games is kind of all over the place. :D
"Hands off my bread."

RikuKH

Postby RikuKH » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:48 pm

Awesome responses, thanks guys! I forgot to mention that Pokemon Snap was also one of the N64 games I played as a kid.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:50 pm

RikuKH wrote:Awesome responses, thanks guys! I forgot to mention that Pokemon Snap was also one of the N64 games I played as a kid.

I'm surprised it's not more popular- the marketing for it was amazing, being plastered all over every Blockbuster and cashing in on the anime's success.

CrazyChaos

Postby CrazyChaos » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:55 am

First Console: NES
First Game: Super Mario Bros. 3, or at least that is the earliest I remember.
Childhood with Games: When I was younger I watched my brother play more than I actually played. I was never particularly good at games, so I mostly stuck with Pokemon. At some point something changed and I became much better, and I don't really like Pokemon now. I am excited for Pokken Tournament though.

Rare games I have played: Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, Diddy Kong Racing (64 and DS), Kameo, and Conker: Live and Reloaded (Never played the original since I was young at the time).

Favorite Games/Series of All Time:
-Super Smash Bros. (Series)
-Mario (Series, prefer the 3D games such as 64 and Sunshine. Galaxy 1 and 2 were meh, 3D World was great.)
-Banjo-Kazooie (N64 Series)
-Donkey Kong 64
-Dark Souls (Series)
-Monster Hunter (Series)
-Yoshi's Island (Series)
-Yoshi's Story
-Kirby Air Ride
-Ratchet & Clank (Series, Arsenal might be my most favorite.)

Recently Played:
-Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
-Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
-Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
-Spooky Poo's Happy Hell (Prototype)

Additional Tidbits:
-Story is almost always at the bottom of my priority list.
--Visual Novels are the exception, but I do not really mix them in with my games anyway. That is why they are called "visual novels" instead of "video games". As a result, I have not listed any of my favorites here.
-I like games where I control a character. More control is better, I like doing stuff.
-I prefer to always know what action will happen when I press a button. No quick-time events, no random critical animations, etc.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:54 am

GrayMagicΓ wrote:
RikuKH wrote:Awesome responses, thanks guys! I forgot to mention that Pokemon Snap was also one of the N64 games I played as a kid.

I'm surprised it's not more popular- the marketing for it was amazing, being plastered all over every Blockbuster and cashing in on the anime's success.

Ah, Pokemon Snap. I loved this; it was the first game I ever owned myself. I can't remember how old I was, but for one of my birthdays I got a Pikachu edition N64 with Pokemon Snap. Amazing game, despite its simplicity.
Taylonic Ltd.

Nomonoke

Postby Nomonoke » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:07 pm

First system was an NES, and first game was Super Mario Bros. I have more memories from the SNES, though. I was so doomed to be a Nintendo fan all my life because that's all my parents would buy - "They were the most family friendly system at the time, and with 4 kids in the family, you could all play together. After you got older we just kept going with it." said parents, but they were also the only system THEY liked and also played. I don't mind. Nintendo for life, man. So most big Nintendo games I played in my childhood/now.

The first game I ever beat was Super Mario World, gosh I loved Yoshi. I think he's my first favorite character in my life? What a special place in my heart he has.

My favorite games of all time: Pokemon (all of them, but I favor Black/White and X/Y), Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars, Legend of Zelda WIND WAKER YES, Banjo-Kazooie/Banjo-Tooie, Donkey Kong 64 and Donkey Kong Country 2, and Fire Emblem: Awakening.

After Platformers either fell off the face of the earth or became Mostly Mario, I got into turn-based strategy and collection-based games. Hell, the only reason I can't run Fire Emblem on Classic (with Deaths) is because I adore everyone too much and losing any of them makes my collection incomplete. I'm currently working on a Living Dex - having every one of the pokemon, not just it's final evo - on X/Y because reasons, with Gens 5, 6 and almost 3 done.

But I'll try anything once. I also love Dragon Age: Inquisition and I adore Rayman, I just don't have many opportunities to play them, and in my downtime I would rather play something I'm already emotionally invested in. Like MONSTER HUNTER. Heh.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:36 pm

Taylor wrote:
GrayMagicΓ wrote:

Ah, Pokemon Snap. I loved this; it was the first game I ever owned myself. I can't remember how old I was, but for one of my birthdays I got a Pikachu edition N64 with Pokemon Snap. Amazing game, despite its simplicity.

As a game it's great, as a form of entertainment it was a horrible deal. The game lasted under 10 hours and cartridge based games went for $60-80 in the 90s.

Werehog

Postby Werehog » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:12 am

Now let's see.

My first game was most likely Sonic 2.

The systems I've played games on on go in roughly this order:

Sega Mega Drive, PC, DS, PS2, GameCube, N64*, Wii*, 3DS, WiiU,GameBoy Advanced SP, NES, SNES.

*Could go either way

I wouldn't really say I have a favourite game as there are lots of factors to consider though some I really enjoy include:

Sonic 2, Pokemon (All except Black/White and Black 2 /White 2), Ace Attorney series, Sonic Adventure 1&2, Sonic Heroes, All Kirby games, Earthbound, Viva Piñata, Banjo Kazooie, Animal Crossing, Rocket Slime, Kingdom Hearts (all), Zoo Tycoon 2, Pikmin, Fire Emblem Awakening, Nintendogs, Link's Awakening, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Link Between Worlds, Rhythm Heaven, Wario Ware series, Wario Land, next to any game with Waluigi in it, Smash Bros series, Super Hot, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Power Tennis, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Half Life 2.

NiloStudo

Postby NiloStudo » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:53 pm

GrayMagicΓ wrote:
Taylor wrote:
GrayMagicΓ wrote:I'm surprised it's not more popular- the marketing for it was amazing, being plastered all over every Blockbuster and cashing in on the anime's success.

As a game it's great, as a form of entertainment it was a horrible deal. The game lasted under 10 hours and cartridge based games went for $60-80 in the 90s.

Yeah the play time didn't really fit the price tag. I never owned Pokemon Snap until very recently, but I rented the N64 version back in the day, and completed it over a couple sessions. Loved the idea, like a few other people I'm kind of sad they haven't made a sequel. Judging by the Photo Mode in Pokepark 2, it's not like they don't have an engine that could do it, and in a more free-roaming manner, too.

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:18 pm

Back in the late 80s, my family got an NES with Gyromite, Duck Hunt and Baseball. I was bitten hard by the gaming bug and continued picking up the controller ever since. I've owned most of the primary systems at some point and experienced a wide array of genres. My favorites are JRPG, WRPG, action adventure (like Zelda), and platformers. Modern gaming is getting too saturated with first-person shooters and dull worlds filled with brown and gray. That's why I like Nintendo and Indie developers so much.
Last edited by RareAware on Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Community Discussion”