Kewpie-Jazzy, a Yooka-Laylee inspired Kickstarter game.

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?

WyvernWings

Re: Kewpie-Jazzy, a Yooka-Laylee inspired Kickstarter game.

Postby WyvernWings » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:48 pm

LittleGreen

Postby LittleGreen » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:10 pm

I think the idea of changing partners sounds cool. It even looks pretty nice.
But...

The whole Kickstarter presentation is 1:1 Yooka Laylees. They´re saiying, it´s inspired, but...no.
Just take the Yooka Laylee presentation, changing colors and some word´s is not an inspiration at all.

The game itself looks and sounds pretty cool, but there is a bad taste to it, when i´m on their Kickstarter Page. I mean, come on guys! Even the reward and "where goes the money" thing looks like a bootleg. :S

There is even a "playhouse demo reward"...

But enogh rant, to be honest, i will have an eye on this, because it do looks like fun to me. :)
"Untwerwegs in Düsterburg" an great Adventure, full of sarcasm, humor and adventuring!
Link: http://lparchive.org/Unterwegs-in-Duesterburg/Update%2001/
Remake: https://www.facebook.com/UiDuesterburg?fref=ts

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:38 pm

https://twitter.com/grantkirkhope/statu ... 7323812865

It seems Grant Kirkhope was signed to do the music, but he then declined...

LittleGreen

Postby LittleGreen » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:46 pm

Wow, you´re right he isn´t even anymore in the Kickstarter listed.
Well, that´s a thing. xD

I don´t know. But i guess, it was the right choice for Grant, even if it´s bad for Kewpie-Jazzy.

Something feels really off about this whole project, but maybe it´s just me.
"Untwerwegs in Düsterburg" an great Adventure, full of sarcasm, humor and adventuring!

Spydr Webz

Postby Spydr Webz » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:48 pm

Yeah I just discovered this myself... Sounded interesting at first, but I got more and more grossed out the further I looked into it.

I'm all for more 3D platformers on the market. But this one makes little to no attempt to hide the fact that it is nothing but a tasteless rip-off of Yooka-Laylee/Banjo-Kazooie. Not to mention the dev team just seems... sketchy. They've been called out numerous times on Twitter but respond with, "how can we be a rip-off of a rip-off?" The difference is that the Yooka-Laylee dev team is actually composed of many of the SAME developers who worked on BK and BT. So it's less ripping-off and more taking back what was theirs in the beginning.

The Kewpie-Jazzy team is younger, inexperienced, and moreso blatantly copying Yooka-Laylee and Banjo-Kazooie than merely taking inspiration from it.

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:50 pm

On twitter I pointed out how those rocks (seen in a screenshot in an above post) seem to be suspended in midair by vines.
They responded "the rocks are part of the vines"

What does that mean???

Definitley found the KS campaign off-putting for reasons similar to what "Little Green" points out.

The team does seem rather young! There's something promising somewhere in this project but for now it looks cheap and knock-offy

Meinhard1

Postby Meinhard1 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:59 pm

Spydr Webz wrote:Yeah I just discovered this myself... Sounded interesting at first, but I got more and more grossed out the further I looked into it.

"grossed out"
Your post has some strong words. Felt pretty disenchanted by it, myself. Not sure why -- it's interesting to think about.

The developers are certainly not able to articulate their ideas in a very tasteful way, at this point. It's unpleasant to see a "dream protect" look so unplalatably.

Spydr Webz

Postby Spydr Webz » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:12 pm

Meinhard1 wrote:
"grossed out"
Your post has some strong words. Felt pretty disenchanted by it, myself. Not sure why -- it's interesting to think about.

The developers are certainly not able to articulate their ideas in a very tasteful way, at this point. It's unpleasant to see a "dream protect" look so unplalatably.

Yeah, not sure if "grossed out" is even a proper phrase, haha.

I'm sorry, it just really rubs me the wrong way when people don't seem to realize or care about how obviously they're copying another person's work, and it's even worse when they are asking for money to do it. It's sad, too, because this project could have been something interesting if the "developers" had actually made an attempt to make it look like something that we aren't already getting. It's one thing to be inspired by something and to build off of that inspiration, but Kewpie-Jazzy is not that.

Beyond that, the copied kickstarter, video (complete with cringey narration), pictures and poor use of grammar (I realize English isn't their first language) really gives the project an unprofessional and "scammy" appearance.

LittleGreen

Postby LittleGreen » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:17 pm

Meinhard1 wrote:On twitter I pointed out how those rocks (seen in a screenshot in an above post) seem to be suspended in midair by vines.
They responded "the rocks are part of the vines"

What does that mean???

Definitley found the KS campaign off-putting for reasons similar to what "Little Green" points out.

The team does seem rather young! There's something promising somewhere in this project but for now it looks cheap and knock-offy

I guess they´re literally mean, that those rocks are stuck on the vines. Pretty stong vines. xD

It´s a shame, that they´re not putting some real effort in this. Maybe they do, but not in the marketing, that is worse than worse.

I would guess over 95% of the people, that are looking at this game, are familiar with Yooka Laylee.
And the Kewpie Page is literally 1:1 the same thing in Pink.

It´s a total downer and a No-Go.
Is this even legit? I mean...it´s really 1:1. The difference is really small. :/

@Spydr Webz
Yeah, you´re totally right.
Really harsh word´s for them, to call Yooka-Laylee a rip-off. It´s even from the same devs and they are very talented people.

And they are not at all. At least not, when it comes to the presentation.
It´s really sad, because this had become much more interesting, if the Kickstarter was more original.

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:47 am

Definitely a ripoff and I'm not gonna back it but I definitely feel sorry from them after lurking some in the (now offline) discord room they set up. Lots of people really railing on them, some justified but a lot just people being angry and mean.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:10 pm

It looks HIDEOUS! :shock:
And does anyone else find it insanely creepy that the cat has human female boobs? :?

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:45 pm

WyvernWings wrote:https://twitter.com/grantkirkhope/status/778265637323812865

It seems Grant Kirkhope was signed to do the music, but he then declined...

Yeah, he'd better off focusing on Y-L and Lobodestroyo. The only sad thing is that he left A Hat in Time, but oh well, they have a great composer on their own.

Octopeart

Postby Octopeart » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:44 pm

Yeah, this is just bizarre. I'm sure it's a scam, and a poorly done one at that. If it were their dream project, they picked an awfully convenient time to unveil it. Some of the models/assets really clash aesthetically; it's almost like everything aside from the main character models are stock/pre-made...I wouldn't be surprised if Grant hadn't seen this much when he agreed, and dropped out with the official unveiling. I bet it gets taken down soon enough.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:15 am

ShanPen wrote:It looks HIDEOUS! :shock:
And does anyone else find it insanely creepy that the cat has human female boobs? :?

I despise cartoon animals with boobs. She looks like one of those cringeworthy OCs you see on DeviantArt.
But, even if she didn't have boobs, the design of her just looks yuck. She has a very unpleasant shade of pink, the jean-shorts aren't attractive in the slightest, the fact she has human legs instead of cat legs makes her running on all-fours look extremely strange/scary, and in my opinion, she is too tall to be in a cartoony 3D platformer. Tall characters that run fast and jump twice their height make 3D platforming very awkward to me. (Also, she wearing a baseball cap backwards...? Seriously?)

I really don't want to be mean towards indie devs, especially as new and young as these guys are, but I think they should go back to the drawing board and get a few new artists and give this game a new style, and give these characters some more expressive animations. As it is, it completely lacks any personality and looks like a cheap, poor attempt at capitalising on Yooka Laylee's crowdfunding, which in turn has given it a mediocre reputation. Sorry for my pessimistic tone, but those are my honest feelings.

All the best to these developers, truly. I love the idea of swapping partners, but everything else I can't help being cynical about, and needs improving.
There's my constructive criticism. Hopefully they won't sue me like another certain indie dev that had their whole library taken off Steam...

GeneralWalnut

Postby GeneralWalnut » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:14 am

Octopeart wrote:Yeah, this is just bizarre. I'm sure it's a scam, and a poorly done one at that. If it were their dream project, they picked an awfully convenient time to unveil it. Some of the models/assets really clash aesthetically; it's almost like everything aside from the main character models are stock/pre-made...I wouldn't be surprised if Grant hadn't seen this much when he agreed, and dropped out with the official unveiling. I bet it gets taken down soon enough.

I think it is probably more just naivety and inexperience pushing a lot of this stuff. They all seem fairly young and all probably genuinely think they are doing things correctly and can't see that they haven't "drawn from" Yooka-Laylee's pitch but have done a sub par job of aping it in its entirety. I think they might be stock assets in a lot of places, but it is similarly likely they just don't have the skills to give everything a cohesive look.

I also think probably Grant agreed to compose for them, contingent on successful funding, because it is an easy thing to say yes to a paid project as a freelancer. If you saw it when it first went up, his name and face were plastered all over that thing, to the point where it might as well have been named "Grant Kirkhope Presents: Kewpie Jazzy." They were suggesting their team had a Rare Veteran on it, seemingly without knowing that contracting a freelancer isn't the same thing as having them as a core member of your team. All of that is just speculation, but I think it is a pretty safe bet he just didn't want people to associate him with a kickstarter he really has nothing to do with, more than him not finding the quality of the work acceptable.

Either way I don't necessarily think it is a "take the money and run" scam situation, just an ill conceived campaign that they will probably benefit from the failure of, in the long term.

LittleGreen

Postby LittleGreen » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:53 pm

At least they´ve changed their Page now a bit.
These inbetweet lines and the "where goes the money" thing is now not a total ripoff.

Well but to be honest, i guess i´m out now. First i had a little bit interest, but i have a bad taste about everything somehow.

Time to play the Toybox to cure that right now. :D

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:22 pm

I find these characters very creepy.
Furry-Bait pink cat with knockers... no thank you.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:41 am

The game shows some promise in gameplay but lacks appeal altogether, there's no creativity in ripping assets and adding a few gimmicks of your own.

Even the way they want to present their campaign seems like a rip-off.

The part where the desert is shown the objects are cluttered in a messy way.

Also, I do not trust the developer to actually finish this thing to the end. He's inspired by a game he wants to copy to his own imagination. I doubt he has the experience or the team building skills to make his dream a reality.
Not in the way he currently shows off at least.

Meh, I'll watch and see what happens :p dreaming is good and all but setting your aim to high in the first place doesn't seem like a good idea.

Small steps first, I mean... Who the hell is that guy anyway?
Stop picking your nose Image

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:26 am

Ugh, the character designs are pretty ugly...

Return to “Community Discussion”