Gruntilda's Lair equivalent?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Alliusis

Re: Gruntilda's Lair equivalent?

Postby Alliusis » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:27 pm

I agree. One of the best things about the hub worlds in BK/BT was that I was always excited to see what came next. Finding something hidden around every corner brought so much joy and it helped to bring up the anticipation and imagination. It was so nonsensical that everything made sense and I couldn't predict much. I hope that direction is taken again over the natural and sensical, that can be nice but it sorta removes the joy of discovery and imagination the games have for me.

SpongeTheSquid

Postby SpongeTheSquid » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:30 pm

I would absolutely hope so!

DreaminErryDay

Postby DreaminErryDay » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:31 pm

I love hub worlds, so absolutely.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:34 pm

I'm still unsure whether the jungle area is actually part of the hub. The presentation put emphasis on the cave being the hub, I think, so I thought the jungle was a level. We need some confirmation!
Taylonic Ltd.

DreaminErryDay

Postby DreaminErryDay » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:40 pm

Taylor wrote:I'm still unsure whether the jungle area is actually part of the hub. The presentation put emphasis on the cave being the hub, I think, so I thought the jungle was a level. We need some confirmation!

They referred to the cave screenshot as the hub. I'm willing to believe the first screenshot was an actual world, the cave screenshot reminded me of certain areas of Grunty's Lair.

TheJHam88

Postby TheJHam88 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:37 am

I have very fond memories of hub worlds from past games. I always loved that in a way a good hub world is almost like a character itself. You spend so much time there, you get to know it and it tells you so much about the universe that game inhabits. It usually gives you a safe-ish environment to get used to and experiment with the different mechanics of the game. I couldn't imagine liking certain games as much as I do without places like Grunty's Lair, Delfino Plaza, and Whispering Rock. They add so much.

tl;dr

Hub worlds? Very much yes please.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:11 pm

A little unrelated, but I just had this thought...

I love it when you gain access to areas in games where you feel you shouldn't be, even though the game designers obviously intended it. For example, in Banjo-Kazooie when you got to the beauty machine rooms -- they had no purpose, but you had seen them in the cut-scenes and it felt like you were trespassing directly into Grunty's 'home' (even though technically the entire lair is her home).

In Tooie when you were allowed back into the lair, the same feelings arose. I remember spending ages trying to explore the lair further... Those darn rocks. :lol:

And as another non-Rare example, I loved how you could break out of the test chambers in Portal. It made things seem very out-of-bounds, in a way. I hope the hub world conjures similar feelings...
Taylonic Ltd.

Punksthetic

Postby Punksthetic » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:49 pm

Agreed, Taylor. They just don't make 'em like they used to... There really isn't much imagination or intrigue left in games, but Portal was great at conjuring up those old feelings of exploration.

Ya know, if I were making this game, I would probably design one area of the hub after an iconic area in Grunty's Lair, like maybe the statue room. Just as a subtle little nod that would drive the fans crazy.

DanBevis

Postby DanBevis » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:51 pm

redlupine wrote:
Floyd wrote:Watching today's presentation now and indeed they confirm a hub world in the vein of Grunty's Lair! Great news for fans of this thread, in other words.

That is great news, now what kind of place will it be? A cave, a hollow tree, stone ruins?

Looks like a series of floating islands:

I got huge Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Laputa: Castle in the Sky vibes from the concept arts [the former also having a Knuckles promo art nod with the eyes in the bushes].

FungiGamer

Postby FungiGamer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:47 am

While I would love a hub world, I will admit that the concept art so far makes me feel like the hub will be a bit more generic and expansive than in previous games, which I really hope doesn't end up being the case. I can say now that hub worlds need to be taken VERY carefully and not be too big nor too 'landmarkless'; I recall Sonic 06 had a large, landmarkless hub world with Soleana that was just all too confusing to navigate or find anything because of how generic and bland everything was.

The hub world NEEDS to have a barrage of different landmarks like crystals, pumpkins or other objects that can both catch your eye as well as serve as a subtle landmark without specifically holding your hand and screaming "GO THIS WAY", instead being more subtle and eye-catching like Gruntilda's Lair was.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:01 am

That's a fair point, FungiGamer. Grunty's Lair did have a central 'feature' in every room: a portrait, a river, a statue etc. -- you wouldn't mistake these areas for one another. I can't really comment on the Ukulele hub because I haven't seen the other rooms... They may be vastly different for all we know. I'm not a fan of large, empty places with little variation, but luckily Playtonic mentioned in their presentation that there will be much more to contend with in the levels -- more enemies, more content etc.
Taylonic Ltd.

IidoTheFox

Postby IidoTheFox » Sat May 02, 2015 12:03 am

I definitely want something like this, yes. Since the game is a collect-a-thon, a central hub world where more and more paths are opening up throughout the game seems like a given! Though whether or not the central hub should be the villain's lair...I don't know. I'd prefer if it were more like the Isle 'o Hags, where you're inching closer to the villain's lair over the course of the game, but either way would be fine really.

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Sat May 02, 2015 1:05 am

Yes! A hub world is an absolute must -- preferably one with hidden areas to find as new special moves are unlocked.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”