What might happen to Playtonic if Yooka-Laylee flops...

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:08 am

Just a few days ago it would have been unthinkable, but I've been wondering about what might happen to the company if their make-or-break game dies a death:

With all their capital blown and a name synonymous with a failed game, the company would perhaps fall apart...
UNLESS it were snapped up by another company.

I don't think it'd be Microsoft (since they've been winding down most of their game companies over the past few years), so perhaps Nintendo?
After all, the Big N bought Retro Studios and turned it into a world-class 1st party developer.

Maybe becoming a Nintendo division could be Plan B for Playtonic?

GeneralWalnut

Re: What might happen to Playtonic if Yooka-Laylee flops...

Postby GeneralWalnut » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:17 am

I know I said it before but I wouldn't worry too much about it. The Gamexplain video about them dropping jonathon tronathon has about 138,000 views and far more likes than dislikes, so the vocal group of trash babies aren't even numerous enough to make a dent there.

If the game is good it'll do fine, and the scum suckers of the internet will move onto the next thing that either says racism is bad or acknowledges that people other than white dudes exist. Heck I mean, Grant Kirkhope unlocked his twitter after like a day, so it probably hasn't even been as bad a reaction as they were expecting, even with the forums being bombarded with "white genocide is real" nutsos.

PandaLover

Postby PandaLover » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:30 am

GeneralWalnut wrote:I know I said it before but I wouldn't worry too much about it. The Gamexplain video about them dropping jonathon tronathon has about 138,000 views and far more likes than dislikes, so the vocal group of trash babies aren't even numerous enough to make a dent there.

If the game is good it'll do fine, and the scum suckers of the internet will move onto the next thing that either says racism is bad or acknowledges that people other than white dudes exist. Heck I mean, Grant Kirkhope unlocked his twitter after like a day, so it probably hasn't even been as bad a reaction as they were expecting, even with the forums being bombarded with "white genocide is real" nutsos.

I just watched the gameXplain video. If you read the comments people were applauding the video for staying neutral and not taking sides. If you read the comments you will also see that almost all of the most popular comments are either supporting Jon outright or atleast supporting peoples right to not support the game because of what playtonic did. Not alot of people seem to be condeming Jon outright.

Speaking of Grant Kirkhope, he is/was friends with JonTron as are a few other Playtonic devs and he even had him on his youtube channel awhile back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t70l-9n1rCQ

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:31 am

After the experience with Microsoft, it's hard to see them allowing Playtonic to be absorbed into another company. If the game bombs, I'd imagine the company being disbanded and everyone going their separate ways. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to whether the game will do well or not. Likes of a youtube video surely isn't a reliable metric to go by.

PandaLover

Postby PandaLover » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:42 am

Something that really surprised me about all this, was it seemed to show how little most people actually know about Yooka Laylee. I thought alot of people knew about it but upon this scandal coming up it seems from the responses of the vast majority of people that either very few people knew about the game at all or at-least very few people cared enough to actually follow it. It seems for the main stream gaming community, Yooka Laylee is mainly just known for this scandal at this point and not much else. Hopefully that will change, if the game is good, and I guess bad publicity is better than no publicity.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:43 am

considering if you read the comments instead of simply going by like/dislike ratio. People are pissed at the announcement but don't want to take it out on Gamexplain by giving the video a dislike. Commenters on their video alway mention not disliking a video from gamexplain based on controversial videos.

Rawk

Postby Rawk » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:18 am

The first step will be to find literally any other publisher to partner with since Team17's community manager is the last person they need interacting with fans going forward. From insulting "all the anime avatars" (despite looking like an anime character himself) to making people think that actual Yooka-Laylee developers were banning everyone on the Steam forums, Playtonic really doesn't need that association.

Foxune

Postby Foxune » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:59 am

If the game flops, I don't think it'd be a direct result of the JonTron nonsense. Sure it'll have an impact on the sales, but I believe it'll be extremely minor. If you actually slog through the YookaLaylee hashtag on Twitter or any video on Youtube ranting about it, a large chunk of the people commenting negatively about Yooka-Laylee outright state that they weren't even interested in the game to begin with.

All-in-all, I think that if this game ends up selling poorly, it probably would've sold poorly without the JonTron drama. The effect it has on sales, for better or worse, is gonna be minuscule.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:01 pm

Foxune wrote:If the game flops, I don't think it'd be a direct result of the JonTron nonsense. Sure it'll have an impact on the sales, but I believe it'll be extremely minor. If you actually slog through the YookaLaylee hashtag on Twitter or any video on Youtube ranting about it, a large chunk of the people commenting negatively about Yooka-Laylee outright state that they weren't even interested in the game to begin with.

All-in-all, I think that if this game ends up selling poorly, it probably would've sold poorly without the JonTron drama. The effect it has on sales, for better or worse, is gonna be minuscule.

Well, could be more people end up buying because they heard about the game from some source and decide they can like the game
Stop picking your nose Image

Gorjo

Postby Gorjo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:01 pm

You know, there isn't really much to talk about other than the drama until the game finally comes out, since everything that can be said about what we know of the game has been said a million times already in all this time, combined with the fact that everybody can have something to say about the drama, it all ends up making the drama seem bigger that it really is.

rocho

Postby rocho » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:53 pm

If the game ever flops (which I find difficult) one of two may happen.

1. They move into making their second game and try to be better.

2. The company is disbanded and NINTENDO BETTER BE FAST to offer this amazing people a Job.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Rawk wrote:The first step will be to find literally any other publisher to partner with since Team17's community manager is the last person they need interacting with fans going forward. From insulting "all the anime avatars" (despite looking like an anime character himself) to making people think that actual Yooka-Laylee developers were banning everyone on the Steam forums, Playtonic really doesn't need that association.

Yeah, Team 17 has burned its bridges.

NPChilla

Postby NPChilla » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:01 pm

rocho wrote:If the game ever flops (which I find difficult) one of two may happen.

1. They move into making their second game and try to be better.

2. The company is disbanded and NINTENDO BETTER BE FAST to offer this amazing people a Job.

I doubt 1 would happen: the money will dry up.

Rasmusic

Postby Rasmusic » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:13 pm

GeneralWalnut wrote:Speaking of Grant Kirkhope, he is/was friends with JonTron as are a few other Playtonic devs and he even had him on his youtube channel awhile back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t70l-9n1rCQ

Ahh this video is pure gold! I've watched a million times :lol:
Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:
https://www.youtube.com/user/rasmusbek

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Then the open-world 3D Platformer, my favourite genre, will stay dead, publishers will decide that it is still too financially risky to invest in, and will continue to say there is no demand for it, that nobody wants them anymore, neverminding how clear the demand is amongst the gaming community.

- Initial interest of the game was very high.
- Was proving Triple-A publishers wrong of their views of the 3D Platformer in the modern market, thanks to the amount of press, discussion and money pledged to the Kickstarter.
-Was very much the poster-boy of the genre's return.
-Could have led to more and more higher-budget 3D platformers to cash in on its success and compete with indies.
-Might have even encouraged more indies (talented indies, not asset-flippers on Steam Greenlight) to put some more character into their projects rather than just being all 'meaningful' and 'emotional' with their pretentious art and storytelling like Inside or Journey.

But no. If Yooka flops, it won't be because of the its quality, nostalgia or interest.
It would be because of stupid f'ing politics. Something the game won't even have.

I've changed my views a bit since my last post. My feelings are very mixed so don't really care now what Playtonic does after Yooka's release, but I still want the game to succeed because I want the 3D Platformer to thrive. This industry could really do with more professionally developed silly, cartoony games about hopping-and-bopping things on the head, in amongst the amount of sad, edgy, trend-chasing dude-bro shooters oversaturating the market. Something more suitable for kids and families instead of GTA or yearly COD sequels.

I despise SJWs and all this political crap that I don't want to be involved in, but I really want this game to do well despite what's happening now. There are so few so few other notable developers actually taking the time to make a game like this. As Yooka Laylee still looks like a great game, and being the only popular game of its kind coming out at the moment, I want to keep supporting it, not for Playtonic, but for my love of the open-world 3D-Platforming genre.
I'm not counting Snake Pass because it's not that kind of platformer. Also not counting Mario Odyssey because that's a Nintendo exclusive game. Yooka is multi-platform, something 3rd-parties pay more attention too.

Protest all you want if you wish. I'm going my own path. I will be happier for it.

I have gotten really sick of this forum. Seeya everyone. It's been... Well... Yeah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF0cGt5-69k

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Doubt the game will flop over a mumbling voice being removed.

I think it's gotten great reviews thus far and people who play games to enjoy playing games (especially in this genre) will still get it based on those reviews. Can't imagine the game being bad, so think this topic is just another method of harping on something that's irrelevant in the grand scheme of Yooka Laylee.

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:40 pm

Pokemaniac Dan wrote:Doubt the game will flop over a mumbling voice being removed.

The problem that arose is not about the voice itself. I did not know or care about Jontron being in the game until this controversy arose. The far bigger issue is that Playtonic made a very clear political stance and basically announced that conservative views of immigration are not allowed within the game industry. When you attach a product to the Western culture war, you will lose sales -- it's just a matter of how many.

The attention this game has been receiving is from the dedicated gaming community, which is only a portion of the overall demographic that plays games. The typical COD playing consumer does not know or care about this project. By poisoning the game with politics, Playtonic has alienated a portion of an already-limited customer base.

PandaLover

Postby PandaLover » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:44 pm

The only way the game could totally flop due to the JonTron Drama is if alot of the people who pre-ordered/backed the game and are now mad about it (there are tons of people on steam) and now want a refund (which playtonic is refusing to give) go on steam and give the game terrible reviews. This would hurt sales alot as anyone who is not familiar with the game (Most people) would come along to the steam page and sees the reviews are terrible and people are saying terrible things about the game and playtonic in the reviews and no buy the game because of it.

Reviews hold tremendous weight for games on steam, especially for unknown games by unknown developers. This sort of thing has happnd with other games and basically stoped sales dead in their tracks. There is also absolutely nothing Playtonic can do to stop this from happening, if you own a game on steam you can review it and give it whatever rating you want. They cant delete disagreeable reviews like they delete disagreeable posts.

Pokemaniac Dan

Postby Pokemaniac Dan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:47 pm

I don't think I've ever not bought a game because of the developer's political opinion. I don't even know any of their political opinions. Do you know why? It doesn't effect the game or matter in any way. I play a game because I like the game.

Gorjo

Postby Gorjo » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:52 pm

Jontron has been showing some questionable attitude for almost the entirety of this year so far (like in twitter during the Women's March), people just assume it was for specific things like the points he raised during that stream and try to pass it as Playtonic making a "political stance" when in fact they are simply distancing themselves from a currently controversial public figure, wich makes perfect sense as a company.
Last edited by Gorjo on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”