Replaying Rare.

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
Yavga

Replaying Rare.

Postby Yavga » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:24 am

Currently playing Banjo Kazooie once again, it's kind of funny how fast I manage to finish levels now in comparison to back when I was a kid.

I understand the mechanics better now then I did back then, as a kid it was a magical experience in which everything had to be taken in completely and now it's more like ploughing through and grabbing what you can.
Luckily the feeling is still there ;)

It just took me 19:25 to finish Mumbo's mountain 100% not a speed run or anything hahaha.

I'd say it took me 20 hours as a child at least.

Next up, treasure trove cove! Anyone wanna join?
Stop picking your nose Image

Yavga

Re: Replaying Rare.

Postby Yavga » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:20 am

Treasure trove cove, 20:14 couldn't find the empty honeycombs though...

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:57 am

Yavga wrote:Treasure trove cove, 20:14 couldn't find the empty honeycombs though...

Oh yes, I know that struggle. It's due to the short draw distance of the game (and their locations of course). One on a crate near Sharkfood island and one underwater behind some cliff next to the beach.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:08 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Yavga wrote:Treasure trove cove, 20:14 couldn't find the empty honeycombs though...

Oh yes, I know that struggle. It's due to the short draw distance of the game (and their locations of course). One on a crate near Sharkfood island and one underwater behind some cliff next to the beach.

Of course! Thanks :D

I have to say I only start to realise now how smart the level design is. Clearly I haven't found both honeycombs as I wasn't really exploring but instead just getting al
The jiggy's. The reward for going of the path are the 2 honeycombs!

Onwards to Clanker!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:40 pm

27:53 minutes I had to start over with the notes because I went shopping. So I'll take about 5 minutes of for a total of 22:52 for 100%

I love this level... Kinda nostalgic for a fear I had with this level back then, the deep underwater part with the key. God was I afraid of drowning. Had the same with the eel from Mario 64.

Clanker's cavern is a really interesting level to this day. Unique. Onwards! But first... the Yooka laylee rap!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:54 pm

Bublegloop Swamp 32:18, first level that took over 30 minutes. Had some clumsy moments.

The 10-second timed Jiggy... I fell down 2 times, because the camera was a jerk. Also the Mr. Vile challenge was ACTUALLY challenging without those hipster shoes, loved it. Quickly learned a strategy to get some more points, stealing the jumblies he's heading for.

Oh. Needed some time to find the last 3 notes and final Jinjo, the game is really pushing me to look everywhere now. Both on foot and with the transformation.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:00 am

Yavga wrote:Currently playing Banjo Kazooie once again, it's kind of funny how fast I manage to finish levels now in comparison to back when I was a kid.

As kids on our first play through it took my sister and I weeks (possibly months) to finish Mumbo's Mountain because we were missing a green Jinjo, a handful of notes, and a Jiggie. Apart from our Gameboys, we'd never had a game console before, so we didn't know the obvious "rule" that when a game teaches you a new move, there is always something to test that move on close by. So when learning the Beak Buster, we didn't realise we were supposed to smash up the huts that were near Mumbo's skull, and the only reason I found out was that one day I saw it on the demo roll that starts playing if you switch the game on but don't press any buttons. :oops:

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:23 am

ShanPen wrote:
Yavga wrote:Currently playing Banjo Kazooie once again, it's kind of funny how fast I manage to finish levels now in comparison to back when I was a kid.

As kids on our first play through it took my sister and I weeks (possibly months) to finish Mumbo's Mountain because we were missing a green Jinjo, a handful of notes, and a Jiggie. Apart from our Gameboys, we'd never had a game console before, so we didn't know the obvious "rule" that when a game teaches you a new move, there is always something to test that move on close by. So when learning the Beak Buster, we didn't realise we were supposed to smash up the huts that were near Mumbo's skull, and the only reason I found out was that one day I saw it on the demo roll that starts playing if you switch the game on but don't press any buttons. :oops:

Hahaha, I can imagine. Funny how our minds worked back then. If I were to make a game sometime in my life I'll be sure to think of a way how to invoke that sense of curiousity in everyone.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:33 pm

Yavga wrote:
ShanPen wrote:

Hahaha, I can imagine. Funny how our minds worked back then. If I were to make a game sometime in my life I'll be sure to think of a way how to invoke that sense of curiousity in everyone.

We explored EVERYWHERE in that level and were completely baffled as to where the extra collectibles could be, because it just didn't occur to us that we should smash up the scenery. :lol:

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Finally back!

Gobi's Valley 31:00
Missing one honeycomb

Yeah, when I look back at this level I think Playtonic should try making a desert valley again, differently. Man... I can think of all kinds of cool stuff the can do in a desert workd with new graphical and computing prowess, sandstorms and whirlwinds galore for sure, sandwaterfalls!

You know what... make a desert out of honey stuff! Yeah that sounds like an awesome combination... the palette is there so it should work out somehow!

Back to Freezeezy peak (peak? It's not even a peak) to get that last jiggy!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:43 pm

Freezeezy Peak 39:35

Man I forgot how frustrating that second race could be, but I beat the bastard in my 5th attempt, glitched right through him! HA! He didn't expect that.

Ah... how could I forget... this level is were it all began, my obsessive compulsive behaviour regarding secrets. The things I can tell you about the pixel structure from the slate of ice blocking that damn key in Wozza's cave. Oh man... In the end it never got to be what it should have been, a year wasted watching at a pixelated chunk of ice. Worth it!

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:43 pm

Mad Monster Mansion 38:40

A lot of walking back and forth, imo they totally missed a secret opportunity for the pumpkin here by walking all across the vines.

Funny little level, seeing some fillers here (rooms) probably my least favorite level :p

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:15 pm

I usually finish Mumbos mountain in about 10 minutes and treasure trove between 15-20 minutes.

You just bought rare replay?

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:21 am

just saying, i would like you to do the same thing with banjo-tooie..

i am sure the time would be a lot higher in each level.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:34 pm

Scrubber wrote:I usually finish Mumbos mountain in about 10 minutes and treasure trove between 15-20 minutes.

You just bought rare replay?

No, doing it through emulation with a controller plugged-in.

Due a slight technical issue in the engine room from Rusty Bucket bay having to do something with me being so smart to decide collecting everything in that room as last and ragequitting up to 3 times because I had to stubbornly think it child's play we'll continue towards Banjo Tooie for the time being!

Return to “Past Glories”