Is Yooka-Laylee the True Spiritual Successor of Banjo-Kazooie? (SURVEY)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
MusicalShyGuy

Is Yooka-Laylee the True Spiritual Successor of Banjo-Kazooie? (SURVEY)

Postby MusicalShyGuy » Sat May 27, 2017 5:14 am

Hey Yooka-Laylee fans! We are conducting a quick research from all Yooka-Laylee and old Rare fans! It would be INCREDIBLE if you would all quickly answer the '1-question "Yes" or "No"' survey!

Link: https://goo.gl/forms/QUh8FKhlZJkfidZf1

P.S.
If you would like to share your thoughts related to the survey question in public, feel free in the comments below as well!

Omega

Re: Is Yooka-Laylee the True Spiritual Successor of Banjo-Kazooie? (SURVEY)

Postby Omega » Sat May 27, 2017 11:46 pm

For me is a BIG YES. It has everything that made Banjo great. I cant believe there are Banjo fans who dislike it. Its a true love letter to those old Rare games <3

rocho

Postby rocho » Sun May 28, 2017 12:10 am

Still haven't been able to confirm it myself but I'm anxiously waiting play it and share my thoughts about if after this long 16 years or so ;)

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Sun May 28, 2017 9:56 am

It's closer to BK and BT than pretty much any excisting game, including DK64. It's also shorter and has much less variety than the Banjo titles. Possibly the high expectations leave some people disappointed, making their critizism extra harsh - nonetheless, I don't think it's unfair to say YL is worse than the Banjo games for the aforementioned reasons. That doesn't say I regret backing it, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying it, either.

As far as spiritual successors go, I honestly hope for more in the future - not necessarily by Playtonic only. Clive & Wrench to me seems at least equally suited to become this continuation to the golden age of 3D platforming.

notdog1996

Postby notdog1996 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:20 pm

To me, Yooka-Laylee feels more like DK64 than the banjo games.

The worlds are needlessly big and since there's no warp pads, you easily get lost. Some challenges, like in DK64, are repetitive and really hard to do (Rextro's games and highscores). I prefer the kind of challenges in banjo games like ''find what is wrong with my three dinosaurs'' or ''hatch those eggs''. Sure, I get that some people didn't like the backtracking in Banjo-Tooie, but to me, the puzzles in that one were the best because you had just that much possibility. Also, the transformations were used for more than one task, and it was also different every level. I would honestly have preferred smaller but more levels. Comparing a level like Glittergaze Glacier to Terrydactyland, Hailfire Peaks or even Grunty Industries feel disappointing.

I know it feels like I'm shitting on the game, but I'm really not. I'm almost done 100% it and I do feel it really got better after a while, but it doesn't compare to the fun I had playing banjo. I just want the next one to be even better and that's why I'm trying to find the problem here.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:26 pm

What's the other options?

Yuke Quantum

Postby Yuke Quantum » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:46 am

I loved it and think is definitey a spiritual successor.

You'll notice I've said lots of good things about the game on this forum, but I do have one gripe. One small gripe.

One thing I loved about BK were the little extras (ice key, tiny island coming soon etc). The secrets that are found by exploration and curiosity. They did include this in the game, but I wanted more.

The balloon room with spelling pagies was an exploration find and blowing bubbles in the tub was curiosity driven and clever.

Everything else was pretty self-explanatory or literally explained to you.

So yeah. That's my small tiny gripe, but I also don't think it takes away from the game. Still a great game. Still a success.
-Yuke Quantum
the thirst exploder

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Absolutely this game is the spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie.

Is the game perfect? No. But as a major BK fan, I can't help but utterly love this game for restoring to me a genre of video games that I've been missing for a decade and a half. I literally bought a 360 when I was younger just because I was told Banjo would come out on it. I've been waiting far too long for a Banjo-Threeie, and Yooka-Laylee finally delivered.

Are there elements that I wish they had done better? Sure. But I'm incredibly optimistic going forward. I think these guys showed that they are utterly capable of making the games I loved from back in my childhood. Given that this game was a KICKSTARTER project, I think what they delivered is great. Not perfect, and certainly they have needed to rub out some bugs and other issues (*ahem*Rextro*ahem*). But this game made me feel like I was playing a new Banjo, whilst still being its own new game.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”