Bugs & Glitches - Switch Edition

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
baker_boy0017

Bugs & Glitches - Switch Edition

Postby baker_boy0017 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:43 am

So the game is finally out on Switch! I'm about halfway through (boy my work took a serious nosedive today), and as much as I still love this game - and utterly love having it on my Switch - I've certainly noticed some new bugs. I figured we could keep a running list of bugs and glitches here for Playtonic to see as they show up. Some things are also slightly DIFFERENT I think... and I can't tell if that's intentional or not. I'm not sure how much of the game they actually changed between this and previous versions. So I've left those possibilities in a different category at the bottom.

UPDATED January 4th: ----------------------------------------------

BUGS/GLITCHES

- (Jan. 3rd) FATAL ERROR FOR AT LEAST THREE PLAYERS: When helping Clara against the Corplets && right before main loading screen of Rextro game in world 5, a black screen comes up with an error message, telling you to restart software. Again in world 4: roughly one minute after getting trapped and freed from where you have to sonar the diamonds to make platforms pop out. May be a general Switch issue, not something Playtonic can fix.

- (Dec. 26th) Nimble's Ice Race, Nimble crashes into player and causes a merge meaning he wins the race every time despite player being stuck to him. The game also doesn't pick up that player's going through the gates as part of nimble.

- World 4 Boss occasionally locks the player's controls, forcing them to sit idly by and wait to die.

- During dialogue from afar (while doing a challenge), the player can’t jump, which is somethings rather deadly. (Encountered this in world 3 when doing a challenge for the talking pumpkin)

- Player not displaying life while taking damage in world 2's freezing cavern (GG)

- Player not displaying life at random times when getting hurt by baddies. Occasionally the life bar will just stop showing up until you pause the game, at which point it appears without the damage, and then takes the life away as though you are getting hurt while the game is paused. The life bar then appears like normal after unpausing.

- Baddies (corplets, bees, googly eyes) not getting stunned even after multiple sonar hits. (TT, GG)

- Player not displaying "bubbles" for air when underwater. First noticed after falling into water and staying
down there to keep swimming (GG)

- Googly Eye baddies sometimes get stuck and float over thin air (TT, GG)

- Player's "jump" shadow blob displaying underneath any platform player stands upon that is open beneath (i.e. bridges) rather than directly on top of said platform.

- Very sudden and quick framerate drops in seemingly random moments. In over 6 hours of playing, I've had about 3 of these happen. They are super quick, but definitely there. UPDATE After playing CC, I had probably 6 more frame drops during that world. Very quick, but it did get in the way a time or two.

- Many of the Ghost Writers are not playing their sounds. I've skipped two, and nearly missed one as a result. Heidi not only will stay mute sometimes, but will not flash in and out of existence, making it nearly impossible to find her unless you knew where she was (TT, CC).

- If you activate the underwater key and thus activate the short cutscene, your air (and after that, your HP) will keep draining, so you can die while the short cutscene is playing (you can't move at all). (GG)

- If you fall/die and Nimble finishes the race at the same moment, the screen will turn black and Nimble will say a couple of lines (you obv. can't see 'em). After that the normal screen comes back and Y&L will fall to their dead on land near Nimble. De camera is zoomed out. The only fast way out, is to pause and exit to the hub.

- There is a spot on Rusto the Robot where you can get permanently stuck, completely unable without using the "Return to Hub" option on the pause screen. The game thinks you are in mid-air while you are stuck there. Will upload image soon.

- In world 3 boss fight, it is possible to get stuck in the corner of thorns after hitting boss.

- Corplets can walk through the pillars that activate with sonar in CC.

- Yooka's Grenade power is almost completely unnoticeable on Switch. It was kind of hard to see before, but now the visuals are hardly present at all.

- General clipping of models with jumps

- In world 2, if you leave the world after acquiring some of the snowman hats, and even giving at least one of them a hat, but before giving hats to all of them, you will return back with zero progress and have to get the hats again.

- Reptile Rush on TT when colliding with bridges can cause you to become stuck/frozen in place.

- Massive slow down issues possible on GG when transformed into snowplough

Please help me add on to this list so Playtonic can hopefully improve the game even further. If you're not sure if it is a Switch exclusive bug, don't worry: but if you are reporting a bug from a different console version, it might be helpful to put that in your post, just in case.
Last edited by baker_boy0017 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:03 am, edited 12 times in total.

Piet

Re: Bugs & Glitches - Switch Edition

Postby Piet » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:13 am

Great idea!
One thing tho: I got Heidi as my 4th Ghost Writer after the 1st time I entered TT (of course without expanding it).
So she IS there immediately.

Bugs/glitches I encountered (I played for 1,5 hours, in Tribalstack Tropics, Shipwreck Creek & the hub):
- Had a few short frame skips (TT);
- Had a few frame drops (TT/SC);
- When jumping in corners, Yooka 'stutters' (SC).

All in all, it runs smoother than the X1 version (I also completed that version.)

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:53 pm

Piet wrote:All in all, it runs smoother than the X1 version (I also completed that version.)

At all or at launch? The version must be on par right now after all these patches.

One bug I encountered so far (additionally to Yooka once getting stuck between the landscape geometry... which is not a big issue, but possible to pull of due to the design of the worlds/rocks) is this guy, who seems to be floating in the air and not moving anymore:

ImageImage

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:10 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:At all or at launch? The version must be on par right now after all these patches.

The Switch version runs smoother, regarding fps, than the updated X1 version (the one available now). :)

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:17 pm

Piet wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:At all or at launch? The version must be on par right now after all these patches.

The Switch version runs smoother, regarding fps, than the updated X1 version (the one available now). :)

Nice, so all credit goes to Playtonic in this case! I hope they'll develop further Switch ports in-house, too. Maybe it was a too big kind of a task for Team17 anyway.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:
Piet wrote:

Nice, so all credit goes to Playtonic in this case! I hope they'll develop further Switch ports in-house, too. Maybe it was a too big kind of a task for Team17 anyway.

PTG did a good job on the Switch port's performance indeed (altho there are occasional hiccups)!
It's pretty clear that the graphics (res., draw distance, shadows, etc.) are toned down, 'cause the framerate had/has to be stable.

I don't think Team17 did anything wrong.. PTG just KNEW that they had to focus on the performance mostly, regarding the game's Switch port!

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:09 pm

You're sure? On certain spots, the framerate was terrible when the game released on the other consoles. It feels like Playtonic put the necessary effort in the Switch version that really lacked on XBOX / PS.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:30 pm

Rueckkoppler wrote:You're sure? On certain spots, the framerate was terrible when the game released on the other consoles. It feels like Playtonic put the necessary effort in the Switch version that really lacked on XBOX / PS.

Even the PC version had terrible framerate dips occasionally (if the PC had normal/regular specs).
How I see it: V1.0 of YL was actually V0.5 (or something like that).

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Okay, so I forgot to mention that I only played undocked yesterday.

I played docked for +/- 2 hours today (the same levels + GG) and I encountered some more bugs:
- If you fall/die and Nimble finishes the race at the same moment, the screen will turn black and Nimble will say a couple of lines (you obv. can't see 'em). After that the normal screen comes back and Y&L will fall to their dead on land near Nimble. De camera is zoomed out. The only fast way out, is to pause and exit to the hub.
(I have printscreen that I can upload, if you guys want.) (TT)
- More frame dips/skips than while playing undocked. (Overall)
- Some camera issues (while in 'Manual' mode) i.e. during challenges. (Overall)
- Some screen tearing while walking/running/rolling into corners near the camera. (Overall)
- If you activate the underwater key and thus activate the short cutscene, your air (and after that, your HP) will keep draining, so you can die while the short cutscene is playing (you can't move at all). (GG)

All in all:
- Docked: Better graphics & worse performance (less stable).
- Undocked: Better performace & worse graphics.

(Edit: Oh btw, I'm not trying to be negative or anything. This is just informational. The game is completely playable on the Switch.)

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:33 pm

Piet wrote:(Edit: Oh btw, I'm not trying to be negative or anything. This is just informational. The game is completely playable on the Switch.)

Agree. There are some minor glitches that should be reported.

Boss in world 3:
During that phase in the fight where you have to hit the single big eye over the platform that folds down at the wall, it's easy to get stuck in the thorns when it goes up again after three hits on the eye. That happens when you stand too close to the left/right wall when the platform snaps back, because then you're falling into the thorns and you're unable to steer out of them, getting hits until you die.

Why not make the player bounce off that area after this phase, so that he lands in the middle of the arena? That's what Mario boss battles do all the time. Image

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks for the help guys! I've updated the original post. I think my problem with Heidi was NOT that she was missing, as you clearly discovered, but that she wasn't sounding off for me or flashing in and out visually. I just had the exact same thing happen in CC: she was my last writer to find, I was certain I remembered where to find her, but heard and saw nothing. I decided to play around anyway, and just started doing sonar, and lo and behold she appeared.

I had two other ghost writers not make any sounds in CC, which is what sort of tipped me off. Hung-Ree (?) wasn't burping and so I totally forgot about him until I was nearly done with the world despite having gone right past him before, and the fiery one (Fi-ree? IDK...) made no noise until I was standing right next to him. I was lucky to have seen him.

I went ahead and bolded what I'm considering bugs that greatly affect the gameplay, like being unable to see the shadow blob beneath the characters (hurts the platforming) and the Ghost Writers failing to make noise some time. Have you guys experienced the Ghost Writer issue at all?

Also, that's crazy to hear that it's performing at least about as well as Xbox version in terms of framerate. Makes me quite happy.

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:26 pm

The Nimble one (in TT) I addressed is also pretty annoying + I can recreate it. :)

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:51 am

Got the Nimble one in there. I found a few more issues, including getting permanently stuck on Rusto the Robot.

Also, a certain moon has a incredibly low quality fire-burst propelling him forward now... like REALLY low quality LOL.

Lots of issues with the life bar I've been finding. I found a bug where it just stops showing up in the UI after getting hurt, but then if you pause it it'll pop back up with however many butterflies you had before getting hurt, and only after that will it start taking butterflies away, as though you were getting hurt while the game was paused.

There are a couple of other things I noticed that may have just been me playing poorly and not paying attention, so my next playthrough I will pay more attention and post if I really am seeing bugs or not. They tend to have to do with world expansions. After the Ghost Writer thing I'm more leaning on having just not played as well as I thought before expansion, but we shall see!

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:04 am

baker_boy0017 wrote:Got the Nimble one in there. I found a few more issues, including getting permanently stuck on Rusto the Robot.

Also, a certain moon has a incredibly low quality fire-burst propelling him forward now... like REALLY low quality LOL.

Lots of issues with the life bar I've been finding. I found a bug where it just stops showing up in the UI after getting hurt, but then if you pause it it'll pop back up with however many butterflies you had before getting hurt, and only after that will it start taking butterflies away, as though you were getting hurt while the game was paused.

There are a couple of other things I noticed that may have just been me playing poorly and not paying attention, so my next playthrough I will pay more attention and post if I really am seeing bugs or not. They tend to have to do with world expansions. After the Ghost Writer thing I'm more leaning on having just not played as well as I thought before expansion, but we shall see!

I'm not at 'the moon' level yet, but I'm curious about it!
I also had some lifebar issues in GG, last night. I fell from very high in the water, right on a jellyfish enemy. My lifebar didn't show up either, till I paused the game...

Also; at this moment I'm 100% certain that performance is better while playing undocked. :)

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:32 am

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:08 pm

I actually have to agree about playing undocked! I played a ton yesterday while undocked, and it just felt so incredibly smooth, even compared to playing on PC! The pagie at the bottom of the electric-fence slide took me one try to get, and I attribute that entirely to playing undocked on Switch. I can't explain it besides saying it runs smoother and maybe the screen is just "closer" to me for making better immediate decisions.

Also, CC had the absolute most framedrops out of every world, and world 5 had the longest loading time, at least after expansion.

I find it incredible that I can enjoy playing this game for what was at least the 5th time, and still love it. I can't even play Banjo that many times in the space of a few months, and I know many would argue it is a superior game.

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:39 pm

[RANT]
Okay, I'm getting REALLY f@*%#&€ frustrated over here! :x
I'm missing ONE Quill in TT & it's NOT the 'Shovel Knight, lonely around the corner one'...
I have my Hunter Tonic activated, I walked and looked around everywhere 3 or more times and I even flew everywhere (interior + exterior).
I followed 2 walkthoughs and not even 1 single *beep* from the Hunter Tonic...
My friggin' total playtime is f'ed up now (I'm already looking for more than 2 hours), so I might as well start over from scratch, but I don't want to take the risk to encounter the same "problem" again!

I already completed the game on X1 last April, after encountering the 'CC coin bug' and I swear if this is another 'oops, collectible f***-up' situation, I'll delete this *#^}*${^* game and never play it again.

IT'S.NOT.THERE.
PERIOD. :evil:
[/RANT]

Edit:
So, I calmed down after a nice 8 hours of sleep, but how is this possible? :/

Edit 2:
I started a new game a couple of hours ago and this time around I COULD get all 200 Quills in TT...

baker_boy0017

Postby baker_boy0017 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:31 pm

Hahahaha I can feel your pain! I actually was missing a quill in TT as well, but my Hunter tonic tracked it down. I certainly hope this isn't a bug... that would be a real doozy.

Also, my 2nd time through on Switch so far DID have Heidi popping up in the right spot pre-expansion. It looks like random things might just... be failing to initialize? Or we could all just be going crazy, which is totally possible.

Piet

Postby Piet » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:38 pm

baker_boy0017 wrote:Hahahaha I can feel your pain! I actually was missing a quill in TT as well, but my Hunter tonic tracked it down. I certainly hope this isn't a bug... that would be a real doozy.

Also, my 2nd time through on Switch so far DID have Heidi popping up in the right spot pre-expansion. It looks like random things might just... be failing to initialize? Or we could all just be going crazy, which is totally possible.

Hmmm... Maybe it's too early to jump to conclusions, but it is weird nontheless..

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:27 am

I played Yooka-Laylee for the first time today! :D

I don't know if this is a glitch or if something just went wrong with my Switch (overheated?) but when I was in Tribalstack Tropics battling the minions to rescue the explorer skeleton lady, a black screen with an error message appeared saying something went wrong with the software and that the game would have to close and asked if I wanted to send an error report.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”