Playtonic's Next Game... Soon? (Speculation)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Taylor

Playtonic's Next Game... Soon? (Speculation)

Postby Taylor » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:26 pm

https://youtu.be/ao8lUp8QHJs?t=1800

Grant let slip in this livestream that he has finished his contribution for Playtonic's next game.

Grant Kirkhope wrote:I am working on the game they are doing at the moment. I think Dave [David Wise] is also involved in it as well. I've actually just finished writing the music for that thing -- I can't say any more than that! I don't know what their release schedule is, but I do know I have finished my little bit.

Now, I'm not one to jump to conclusions (kidding -- I totally am), but in my experience, music composition usually comes quite late in the development process. Game developers need to know the areas and events for which they need music for. How else could a composer know they are completely finished unless the game itself is well on its way to completion?

With the recent hire of a new community manager, could Playtonic be gearing up to make some big announcements?

I'm still predicting a Jet Force Gemini inspired game involving Schell, the 'Galactic Girl' I wrote about here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5375&p=32852#p32852

Or some sort of Diddy Kong inspired kart racer...
Taylonic Ltd.

DMCumbo

Re: Playtonic's Next Game... Soon? (Speculation)

Postby DMCumbo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:18 pm

Taylor wrote:I'm still predicting a Jet Force Gemini inspired game involving Schell, the 'Galactic Girl' I wrote about here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5375&p=32852#p32852

Or some sort of Diddy Kong inspired kart racer...

I would be ecstatic over a new Jet Force Gemini type game with Schell!

wacky ducky

Postby wacky ducky » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:59 pm

I hope that they make something for ''adults'' or at will at least make something for ''adults'' someday. There's a big void when it comes to platformers with complex gameplay and dark themes. A combination of ''childish'' elements and ''mature'' elements allows for the most creative freedom.

Gorjo

Postby Gorjo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:13 pm

I was shocked at the idea at first because it seemed too soon, but then I remember they pulled off YL in two years more or less so who knows.

O O O O H H
B A N A N A

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:15 pm

If their HUGE silence is because they were deep at work on a new game I'd totally forgive them.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:16 pm

I'm not surprised they're already well into development on their second game, but I highly doubt we'll see it being released within the next year. They still have to make the DLC for Yooka Laylee that they promised and the other Kickstarter goals as well. No one's going to care about those things if they release the new game before them.

That being said, I'm super excited to see what Playtonic has in store. I loved Yooka Laylee and would love to see another game similar to it, but I'd also be down with a Diddy Kong Racing or Conker's Bad Fur Day style game. It's probably a good idea that they're not saying anything about the game yet, so we can't hype it up beyond reasonable expectations like we did with Yooka Laylee. :lol:

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:36 am

I'm excited about this, but I'm more curious than anything. Rare used to be in development of multiple games at a time, but does Playtonic really have the time and resources to do that, especially when they still need to deliver on certain things promised in the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter? That fascinates me more than what this prospective new game might be.
...A Man can dream... Project Dream, that is.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:58 am

EekumBokum202 wrote:I'm excited about this, but I'm more curious than anything. Rare used to be in development of multiple games at a time, but does Playtonic really have the time and resources to do that, especially when they still need to deliver on certain things promised in the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter? That fascinates me more than what this prospective new game might be.

The DLC is due an imminent update very soon, like maybe even this week. We have the new community manager now who has confirmed updates are coming. I imagine the 64-bit tonic is probably in the same boat.

The developer commentary, I guess, will come after the DLC. Shouldn't be too long. There's an air of progression at the moment -- I can feel things moving forward.

As for the orchestral tracks, I reckon that will be on their 'to do' list for a very long time. It's not particularly feasible, or even worth it at this late stage. Yooka's soundtrack is wonderful and created with modern samples, so much so that an orchestrated version would hardly sound much different to what we already have. I don't think they would say they are never orchestrating it, but I don't think they are stretching their budget on it any time soon.

At the end of the day, Playtonic know what schedule suits them best. For example, they may have got stuck in a jam with the DLC, or 64-bit tonic, and decided to go ahead with work on other things (Game #2) while a solution is worked out. They don't need the ENTIRE team working on the same thing... that'd probably be bad resource management. There will always be a reason for their plans; game development is rarely a clean run to completion and may require some dynamic changes along the way. However, I know one thing for certain: Playtonic work hard -- they don't waste their time.

You have to keep in mind that Playtonic was started up as a passion project. A large portion of staff left established studios in order to make this work; their careers and livelihoods are literally at stake if they start underperforming. Everybody there wants to succeed, both financially and creatively, especially the original founders. Playtonic is not a large, faceless corporation... they want to maintain and build on a reputation of brilliant game design, just as much as you want to play brilliant games. I say keep the faith until they break their silence, which should be very soon. I expect great things to come!
Taylonic Ltd.

wacky ducky

Postby wacky ducky » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:25 pm

It will probably take some time because they really need to make sure the next game is good. They don't have the same deadlines and they won't be able to rely on nostalgia-driven hype as much as they did with yooka laylee. Yooka Laylee got lots of criticism for its lack of polish and they probably want to fix that.

Omega

Postby Omega » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:17 pm

I really hope its a sequel to YL... or a brand new 3D platformer. Maybe something new that isnt based on Banjo Kazooie. Having Grant s music is already a plus, so Im excited anyway!

I dont think they will announce it any time soon, maybe for E3 next year?

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:49 pm

if they do a get gemini game , i won't buy for sure.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:57 pm

bigfanofoldrare wrote:if they do a get gemini game , i won't buy for sure.

Huh, I guess your username should be downgraded to 'kind-of-a-fanofoldrare'. :D

But in all seriousness, we have no idea what they're currently working on. I suspect David Wise is doing the majority of the music this time as I seem to remember Grant saying the musicians will take it in turns each game. Maybe this means a Donkey Kong Country inspired game is more likely... Who knows!
Taylonic Ltd.

LancerEagle

Postby LancerEagle » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:49 am

Taylor wrote:
bigfanofoldrare wrote:if they do a get gemini game , i won't buy for sure.

Huh, I guess your username should be downgraded to 'kind-of-a-fanofoldrare'. :D

But in all seriousness, we have no idea what they're currently working on. I suspect David Wise is doing the majority of the music this time as I seem to remember Grant saying the musicians will take it in turns each game. Maybe this means a Donkey Kong Country inspired game is more likely... Who knows!

I can't find a link at the moment, but I'm 99% sure I read an interview with a Playtonic dev where he said that a Diddy Kong Racing spiritual successor was actually the team's first choice for their debut game, but in the end they felt they were obligated to do a new 3D platformer first, both in terms of hitting their Kickstarter funding goal and not alienating the N64-era Rare fanbase who waited so long for a Banjo-Kazooie followup. If that still holds true, it would make sense for David Wise to be stepping up to the plate this time since he did the music for the original DKR back in the day. Vroom vroom?

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:38 am

LancerEagle wrote:I can't find a link at the moment, but I'm 99% sure I read an interview with a Playtonic dev where he said that a Diddy Kong Racing spiritual successor was actually the team's first choice for their debut game, but in the end they felt they were obligated to do a new 3D platformer first, both in terms of hitting their Kickstarter funding goal and not alienating the N64-era Rare fanbase who waited so long for a Banjo-Kazooie followup. If that still holds true, it would make sense for David Wise to be stepping up to the plate this time since he did the music for the original DKR back in the day. Vroom vroom?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5334 -- I refer to a similar interview in this topic. Gavin said a kart racer might have been the first game and hinted at the possibility of doing one in future.

Of course, things can change over time, but I (and I'm sure many others) would be ecstatic about a kart racer!

And hey, David Wise did the OST to Diddy Kong racing, so it looks like a really promising option!

Edit: - - - - -

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... oka-laylee - I've found this article, more recent than the interview above, in which Gavin says regarding kart racers:

Gavin Price wrote:We'd love to do something in that genre," Price admits. "But that requires a large investment with that kind of multiplayer component. One day, we will be having conversations about that. I'm 37... there's probably another 30 years in me, fingers crossed. I would say that within the next 30 years, there may be a possibility of a kart game.

When I read this last year, I presumed it meant either one of two things: Playtonic will not do a kart racer as their second game, or they will start up another Kickstarter to get the 'large investment'. Although in saying that, doesn't the main consoles and Steam support online functionality for indie developers? (I admittedly don't know much about this).
Taylonic Ltd.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:36 pm

(New post to avoid a million edits to my last post)

Kev Bayliss, character artist at Playtonic, put up this tweet just now. That wink is definitely implying something here!

I'm pretty convinced Game #2 will be a kart racer, considering this tweet, all the speculation last year, and the fact David Wise is confirmed to be working a lot on the project (he did the music for the original Diddy Kong Racing).

Or, it's an intentional red herring to throw us off the true scent. Agh, we'll have to wait and see.
Taylonic Ltd.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:47 pm

It's too early for a kart racer. They would need an established roster of characters before even considering it.

I don't think they are working on a racer.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:53 pm

Scrubber wrote:It's too early for a kart racer. They would need an established roster of characters before even considering it.

Diddy Kong racing had only one established racer. Banjo amd Conker were unknown at the time.
Taylonic Ltd.

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:40 pm

if they do a kart racer game , i will buy.. its just gemini that im not attracted.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:53 pm

This image was posted by Playtonic last year, after Yooka's release. The central character looks a bit like Schell, but the silhouette is different. Could this be a tease for the next game that nobody realised, maybe a character from Schell's universe?

Their universe expanding could possibly be foreshadowing a game set in space, as well as obviously an advert for hiring new staff to create said game.

Gah, I could speculate all day about this. :lol:
Taylonic Ltd.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:54 pm

Taylor wrote:
Scrubber wrote:It's too early for a kart racer. They would need an established roster of characters before even considering it.

Diddy Kong racing had only one established racer. Banjo amd Conker were unknown at the time.

Diddy Kong was huge, yookalaylee are not.
Plus it's a completely different world now. There are too many kart racers and those without big selling characters don't sell.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”