What did you like about BK?

Reminisce over some of the past wares you remember fondly.
GrayMagicΓ

What did you like about BK?

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:32 pm

So before I asked you guys what you found flawed with BK and BT. This time, I'm going to be a bit more specific and just ask about BK, and record votes via strawpoll. What made BK such a good game in your eyes? I'm not looking for every minor detail that was good about it, just what, in your eyes, puts it a step above the competition.

http://strawpoll.me/4058168/
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

RareAware

Re: What did you like about BK?

Postby RareAware » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:59 am

Everything.

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:57 am

Ambiance. The feeling of being immersed in a believable fairy tale land was very charming.

Coupled with all the secret mystery.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:48 am

The music, a couple nights ago my girlfriend asked me to mute it because she wanyed to go to sleep. I was offended. No point playing it with no sound.

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:17 am

Scrubber wrote:The music, a couple nights ago my girlfriend asked me to mute it because she wanyed to go to sleep. I was offended. No point playing it with no sound.

Dump her now.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:56 pm

Shawnsim wrote:
Scrubber wrote:The music, a couple nights ago my girlfriend asked me to mute it because she wanyed to go to sleep. I was offended. No point playing it with no sound.

Dump her now.

Do understand its different while she's awake. She said the other day "I really like the noises in this game"

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:56 pm

Scrubber wrote:
Shawnsim wrote:

Dump her now.

Do understand its different while she's awake. She said the other day "I really like the noises in this game"

Okay. She's a keeper then. :D

Duckypoos

Postby Duckypoos » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:28 pm

Yup music for me too. The way it changed as you moved around was pure class and perfectly fitted to the area/character.

sipahi

Postby sipahi » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:24 am

humour, characters ( mumbo jumbo, the transformations, and after his "magic fight" with humba wumba )grunty's rymes, and all the secondary characters that matters !! boggy, the hippi captain, and all thoses music notes, pieces of puzzle, the jinjos and mumbo's cranes !!! to find them and especially that they are living you know, not just a piece of money or something like that without music, without life

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:48 pm

Pretty much everything. 2nd best game I've played this year!

Rilakuma85

Postby Rilakuma85 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:39 pm

The atmosphere- a lot due to the music, but the whole look of the worlds was great.

All the characters felt like a worthwhile part of the world, not just there for the sake of making an objective.

Each level and Grunty's lair itself was well populated and individual- it never felt generic.

Each area felt very well designed. It never took too long to get around and was always a pleasure to explore.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:15 pm

DarkTone wrote:Pretty much everything. 2nd best game I've played this year!

What won?

Banjokazooieboi

Postby Banjokazooieboi » Sun May 03, 2015 11:52 pm

One thing that I loved about BK that I never see mentioned was having a note score/ notes re-appearing upon death. It gave consequence to your death and was really the hardest part of 100% the game. I'm actually pretty bummed they took it out of the XBLA version. The feeling of relief and satisfaction after getting the last note in the engine room is unmatched. I don't know if this is realistic for Yooka-Laylee depending on the scale of the worlds.

KevinD

Postby KevinD » Thu May 14, 2015 2:34 pm

The level of difficulty + music
BLAZE IT

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu May 14, 2015 2:40 pm

Music, level design, ambiance. They are the things I dig.
But even more so, the rhythming witch also made this game big!
Then there's one think I crave for still,
Big, huge secrets to be solved with skill!
Stop picking your nose Image

RandomYoshi

Postby RandomYoshi » Mon May 18, 2015 9:05 am

KevinD wrote:The level of difficulty
What do you mean by this?
Imagine there's this super amazing signature here.

I like doing it this way because then this signature could be many different things depending on the observer. It's very quaint, yet succint.

Gossamer

Postby Gossamer » Mon May 18, 2015 4:49 pm

It's tough to pinpoint, especially since I was a lot younger when I played it. I ended up picking almost all of the options on the straw poll, because I did like all of those things. Years later I can still remember the sounds everything made and I still hum some of the tunes. I don't remember the controls being at all frustrating, which for the N64 is kind of amazing. I definitely appreciated that I didn't have to do much back tracking at all. But there was also a unique feeling to it. The characters were mostly unusual, and I liked that there were basically two main characters without there being a break between them in the game play. It was also quite funny, which is always appreciated. I just remember really enjoying the game, and it's one of the few I played to completion on the N64. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you guys do with Yooka-Laylee. I'm usually hesitant to back games on Kickstarter, but you guys have my confidence and my backing. :D

Return to “Past Glories”