Lessons Playtonic shouldn't learn from Yooka Laylee

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
wacky ducky

Lessons Playtonic shouldn't learn from Yooka Laylee

Postby wacky ducky » Mon May 28, 2018 12:39 pm

This topic is one for stubborn people. Of course Yooka Laylee was flawed but I've seen many complaints that didn't make sense to me or even worried me. The worst one was someone complaining about having to collect 100 pagies to beat the game. I hate how some modern games can be rushed through and then don't give the player a meaningful incentive to continue. What do y'all want them to NOT learn?

Rueckkoppler

Re: Lessons Playtonic shouldn't learn from Yooka Laylee

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon May 28, 2018 4:28 pm

That's a tough one, since Yooka has flaws and goodness in similar departments (for example the world layout / size: In world 2: way too big & empty, in world 5 pretty much perfect). Also, they should keep voice mumbling in my opinion, but work on the actual sounds.

The pagie count is also good, they should keep that, but use the placement more as a guidance for the player.

rocho

Postby rocho » Tue May 29, 2018 4:35 am

I'll say, do not copy paste characters and make them the only kind in all the book-world.

I know it may be though to do several characters nowadays but I think character variety and uniqueness is one of the key elements that made Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie so iconic.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Tue May 29, 2018 9:04 am

I don't want Playtonic to learn hand-holding the player.

I saw someone say that there should be marks on a map pointing towards where collectibles are - um, no thanks! :?

What's the point of even playing an adventure collectathon if they're not even going to adventure and find things themselves?!?

On a related note, I don't want them to make their games easier just because some people whinge that something is a bit hard - there's no satisfaction to finishing a game if there aren't some bits that are hard to work out (eg puzzles) or hard to do (eg challenging platforming sections).

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu May 31, 2018 10:48 am

ShanPen wrote:I don't want Playtonic to learn hand-holding the player.

I saw someone say that there should be marks on a map pointing towards where collectibles are - um, no thanks! :?

What's the point of even playing an adventure collectathon if they're not even going to adventure and find things themselves?!?

Absolutely that. This is what they should keep. Guidance should only come through level design, no pop-ups, mission menus or mini maps please.

ShanPen wrote:On a related note, I don't want them to make their games easier just because some people whinge that something is a bit hard - there's no satisfaction to finishing a game if there aren't some bits that are hard to work out (eg puzzles) or hard to do (eg challenging platforming sections).

Agree as well, if the challenge is fair & the controls flawless, there's no reason to make things easier. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is the best example.

Hopix

Postby Hopix » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:26 pm

ShanPen wrote:I don't want Playtonic to learn hand-holding the player.

On a related note, I don't want them to make their games easier just because some people whinge that something is a bit hard - there's no satisfaction to finishing a game if there aren't some bits that are hard to work out (eg puzzles) or hard to do (eg challenging platforming sections).

Absolutely agree on both points. I worry that Playtonic will read all these whining comments and dumb the next game down for them. I sure hope not.

Tek

Postby Tek » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:24 pm

I agree with all the comments regarding not hand-holding. It's one of the most important things, in my opinion, that Playtonic needs to do going forwards. The original Gloomy Gem Grotto was one of the most challenging sections of the game for me. I felt like I was back in the 90's playing an actual N64 game, and it was exhilarating. I'm still sad that I can't play that version of it anymore. Keep the challenge.

the8thark

Postby the8thark » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:06 pm

Don't listen to the paid reviews who were paid to hate on Yooka-Laylee. Yooka-Laylee is a great game. We all know the fair reviews honestly reviewed the game.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:04 pm

the8thark wrote:Don't listen to the paid reviews who were paid to hate on Yooka-Laylee. Yooka-Laylee is a great game. We all know the fair reviews honestly reviewed the game.

What..?
So the bad reviews are there because the reviewers were paid to hate and the good reviews are honest?
Gtfo... :lol:

(I like YL myself, btw.)

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”