Almost 6 months after the Switch version release...

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Piet

Almost 6 months after the Switch version release...

Postby Piet » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:30 am

...and we still know nothing about the DLC, unfulfilled strechgoals & other YL content.
We got another 'soon' more than 2 months ago and we still didn't get any new info, up to this day.

C'mon Playtonic... GIVE.US.SOMETHING.!!

bigfanofoldrare

Re: Almost 6 months after the Switch version release...

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:45 pm

Piet wrote:...and we still know nothing about the DLC, unfulfilled strechgoals & other YL content.
We got another 'soon' more than 2 months ago and we still didn't get any new info, up to this day.

yeah i lost my trust in playtonic.. honestly i'm scare and start to think we won't get dlc.

Piet

Postby Piet » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:07 am

bigfanofoldrare wrote:
Piet wrote:...and we still know nothing about the DLC, unfulfilled strechgoals & other YL content.

yeah i lost my trust in playtonic.. honestly i'm scare and start to think we won't get dlc.

I also THINK (I'm not sure, of course) they will come up with an excuse not to release the DLC/stretchgoal content...

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:48 am

Piet wrote:
I also THINK (I'm not sure, of course) they will come up with an excuse not to release the DLC/stretchgoal content...

Well they have been known to go really quiet for ages and then suddenly drop big news. Like when we were all waiting for the Switch version of the game and we got no progress updates at all (except the occasional "yes we're still working on it") and we were all speculating that since we'd heard nothing much, we expected the Switch version wouldn't be out until at least well into 2018, and then out of the blue Playtonic announce the Switch release date for end of 2017 and shocked us all.

So I'm hoping it's another one of those situations, as they have said they are working on stuff, they just haven't elaborated.

What I'm hoping for is that they are madly working on finishing the DLC ready to announce that the DLC will be included on the cart for the Limited Run Games physical edition of the Nintendo Switch game in August. Most likely wishful thinking, I know, but would be awesome if it came true.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:20 pm

A new update from PTG (incl. a screenshot) has arrived:
'You may have noticed that we’re continuing to be mysterious and quiet here in the Playtonic dev bunker. That’s simply because we’re all heads down, buzzing like union worker bees, spawning some of the cool stuff we hope to get into your hands in the near future.
And that of course includes the remaining Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter stretch goals, such as the dev commentary series, additional content and the ’64-Bit’ tonic, which we’re working on right now. You can see a work-in-progress (dework-in-progress?) image of the latter below!'
Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/V1emTGu

I'm reassured (& satisfied)! :)

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:26 pm

I like how the 64 Bit tonic is looking from that screenshot, but I've already seen several people complaining that it is not looking "low-poly". The actual Kickstarter stretch goal only called it a "shader" so I highly doubt they're going to go through the whole game making everything low-poly, I assumed they'd just play with the colours/shading to make the game look bright and bold like the colours of N64 games such as Banjo-Kazooie, like this quick example I made ages ago to show what I meant (original on left, N64 colours on right).

I could be wrong and Playtonic actually do turn the game low-poly (though I doubt it as surely that would take a lot of time and then wouldn't they have to re-test for bugs?), but I'm thinking that Playtonic might have set themselves up for a lot of whinging in future by people who expected the game to be low-poly, because they called it the "64-bit Tonic" instead of the "64-shader Tonic".

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:07 pm

ShanPen wrote:I could be wrong and Playtonic actually do turn the game low-poly (though I doubt it as surely that would take a lot of time and then wouldn't they have to re-test for bugs?), but I'm thinking that Playtonic might have set themselves up for a lot of whinging in future by people who expected the game to be low-poly, because they called it the "64-bit Tonic" instead of the "64-shader Tonic".

Yes, they'd need to create new models (or modify them beyond the reduction of polygons) in order to make them look good with these limitations. But didn't someone say about B-K that getting a character into the game took merely a day? Maybe they will do it.

bigfanofoldrare

Postby bigfanofoldrare » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:51 pm

they don't mention dlc :(

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:35 pm

bigfanofoldrare wrote:they don't mention dlc :(

DLC stands for downloadable content, and they said "additional content" in the update, so I took that to mean the DLC.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:55 am

Rueckkoppler wrote:
ShanPen wrote:I could be wrong and Playtonic actually do turn the game low-poly (though I doubt it as surely that would take a lot of time and then wouldn't they have to re-test for bugs?), but I'm thinking that Playtonic might have set themselves up for a lot of whinging in future by people who expected the game to be low-poly, because they called it the "64-bit Tonic" instead of the "64-shader Tonic".

Yes, they'd need to create new models (or modify them beyond the reduction of polygons) in order to make them look good with these limitations. But didn't someone say about B-K that getting a character into the game took merely a day? Maybe they will do it.

Even if they just low-polyrised (sorry, couldn't think what the proper word for that would be!) Yooka and Laylee, would that greatly affect how the characters handle when players use moves and potentially cause issues with the game?

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:45 pm

ShanPen wrote:
Rueckkoppler wrote:

Even if they just low-polyrised (sorry, couldn't think what the proper word for that would be!) Yooka and Laylee, would that greatly affect how the characters handle when players use moves and potentially cause issues with the game?

I don't see how, it's basically just another costume they wear. They will never be as low-poly as they would've been on N64, too. Check out this excerpt of Did You Know Gaming: Mario Odyssey: https://youtu.be/kHmL2pv7gQA?t=8m57s

Guess it'll be part aesthetic, part real thing.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”