Spiritual Successor To Conker's Bad Fur Day

Discuss stuff wot ain't games. You do have other hobbies, right?
wacky ducky

Spiritual Successor To Conker's Bad Fur Day

Postby wacky ducky » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:09 pm

Chris Seavor just revealed he's working on a spiritual successor to Conker's Bad Fur Day.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/1 ... ad_fur_day

Gorjo

Re: Spiritual Successor To Conker's Bad Fur Day

Postby Gorjo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:12 am

Amazing news! And it's rather fitting that he plans to make it a "less literal" successor than YL.

Gotta say, I wasn't aware of that Rusty Pup game, it look very interesting. I hope this gives it more atention but I want to play it regardless of wether it gives us a Conket successor or not.

O O O O H H
B A N A N A

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:57 am

GameIndustry.biz wrote:"I've had this idea for a while," he begins. "I don't know if you remember this prototype that we did called Urchin at Rare? It was a dark fantasy game with a female protagonist. We started work on it shortly after Conker. But it got abandoned as we started on a new Perfect Dark. I always wanted to do a game like Urchin. A lot of people ask me about it, because they think it sounded great. And I agree."

Seavor has been preparing his Urchin-like game for a few months now, but things have changed following the reaction to a recent tweet he sent. He jokingly asked his followers to buy Rusty Pup because it would help him to fund a spiritual successor to his most famous game: Conker.

"It was a sort-of joke but the response was overwhelming," Seavor explains. "I've been quite resistant to that sort-of thing for a while. I like to try new things. But I gave it some thought, and thought that maybe we could do a [Conker successor]."

Seavor's idea of a spiritual successor to Conker isn't necessarily what fans might expect. He warns that this won't be like Yooka-Laylee -- a largely faithful spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie [another popular Rare game]. It won't be in 3D, for starters, as it'll be built on top of the work he and Pile have done with Rusty Pup.

Full interview

This is great news, even if its only 2D. But it's a small studio after all. And Xellos should be excited to know that Chris indeed considered making Urchin a reality, even if it will take a backseat to the spiritual successor to Conker. But maybe this will give Gory Detail some time to earn more money and build up a bigger team in order to make it a 3D game.

Xellos wrote:Just taggin'

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:19 pm

I suppose it is for the best that Chris Seavor decided to not make Urchin just yet. A spiritual successor to Conker could be useful to make publishers notice the tiny company that is Gory Detail. If he wants to realize his vision for Urchin as it was when he worked on it at Rare (that being a 3D Fable-style game) and not turn it into a smaller 2D game, then he needs to have the support of a publisher which would agree to invest in the project like Starbreeze did with Psychonauts 2. Of course, he would still need the manpower to even start working on such a large project like Urchin will require - perhaps Playtonic could lend a hand? As for the engine to run the game, Unreal Engine 4 would do the job nicely and will help to make the game a lot faster than spending additional time on making their own engine.

Return to “Community Discussion”