What kind of final boss fight do you want?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

Which kind of boss fight do you want? (Final boss)

Poll ended at Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:55 pm

A boss fight like in Banjo Kazooie
48%
A boss fight like in Banjo Tooie
15%
A boss fight like in Donkey Kong 64
37%

Total votes: 27

TheImpracticalJoker

What kind of final boss fight do you want?

Postby TheImpracticalJoker » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Personally, I liked DK64's final boss fight more.

I just enjoy the creativity of it, and i's simple to get the hang of, where as in both Banjo games, I have trouble even winning the battles...

I do enjoy the competition, But I just found the fight against King K. Rool funnier then the others :P
That moment when Grunty says she'll get her revenge in Banjo-Threeie... I cri evrytiem.

GrayMagicΓ

Re: What kind of final boss fight do you want?

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:47 pm

The issue I have with DK64's relatively easy final boss is that it required beating the notably harder DK arcade game. A final boss should never be easier than mandatory content before it.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:12 pm

Can someone make a description of what makes each of the choices unique and different from the other? I haven't played DK 64 for instance so I don't know how its final boss is. I can't vote until someone explains the whole picture to me. :P

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:14 pm

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:43 pm

I haven't played all the way through DK64 yet, and I don't have as much integrity as Polomi, so I voted for BK.

Tooie's boss was a bit boring. I like fighting the villain 'head on' without a big contraption to shield them. A broom stick is fine, but a huge machine isn't. It sort of makes the machine the villain instead of the character inside, if that makes sense.
Taylonic Ltd.

TheImpracticalJoker

Postby TheImpracticalJoker » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:13 pm

*SPOILER ALERT*

Links to each of the final battles so you can identify and choose which is your favorite

Banjo Kazooie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VZ1yPVbpqE

Banjo Tooie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omBriTFb1_8

Donkey Kong 64: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuo6ynTQMBk (Kinda slow, Couldn't find any GOOD videos of the full fight)
That moment when Grunty says she'll get her revenge in Banjo-Threeie... I cri evrytiem.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:15 pm

A mixture of all three really. Tooie's got a bit boring with the constant shooting of eggs but sending a clockwork kazooie into the exhauast to batter the batteries was genius. Same with Tiny entering K.rools shoe to hurt his toes. Things like this i really like, they are creative. I'd like it like Kazooie where u have to use a variety of all the moves you've learned throughout the game rather than a repetitive boss keep doing the same thing over and over again like in Mario games.

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:21 pm

theballaam96

Postby theballaam96 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:20 pm

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:30 pm

I very much enjoyed Kazooie's final boss fight - no nonsense, exactly what you always were told you were getting, but you have to use everything you've learned thus far. It was the perfect end from both a storytelling and tactical point of view. My only complaint, which I would change with Ukulele, was that technically in BK you personally never defeated Gruntilda, just made it so that another could. I'd like to see Ukulele's protagonists actually succeed themselves.

Tooie's battle was interesting, and having Grunty pop up to ask questions added a comical twist, but it didn't really test your skills the way Kazooie did.

And it's been years since I last beat DK so my memory is fuzzy, but going by your descriptions above, I've got to stick with Kazooie.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

LucarioOfLegends

Postby LucarioOfLegends » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:19 am

As like the rest of the majority, I really like the original Banjo fight. Almost like a zelda fight, it uses things you have learned and put your skills to the test. I don't like the others as much because I fin bosses that just sit there and soak up damage like the HAG-1 a bit boring, and if a fight has too many phases like in the case of king K rool, I find it pretty repetitive, no matter how creative each phase is. As my teacher said, 3 is the magic number. and I hope they will follow the rule for the final boss.

polomi

Postby polomi » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:29 am

So having watched the DK video, I voted for this. It looks really fun to play. BK was very standard, no big deal, nothing too exciting, just... a fight. In DK it looks much more interesting.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:46 am

I voted for a final boss fight like in Banjo-Kazooie, but what I really want is that Playtonic take a page from Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc . Meaning the final boss has many different forms which requires different tactics for the player in defeating him. It's something that (Rare Ltd) Rareware never have done before, so for Project Ukulele it would be original to have it in the game.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:49 am

Only played BK. Wouldn't be fair to vote, right?

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:02 pm

Watch the YouTube videos, and then decide what for final boss fight you want in Project Ukulele. Also, where is the option to vote for Conker's Bad Fur Day final boss? It was such an "amazing" boss fight, and definitely not half-assed.

CrazyChaos

Postby CrazyChaos » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:16 pm

I like Kazooie and Tooie over DK64 when it comes to the final boss fight. I feel that they were more epic and a better test of what the player had learned throughout the game. Kazooie more than Tooie though, I think. Like others had pointed out, Tooie had a bit too much of the fps segment.

TheImpracticalJoker

Postby TheImpracticalJoker » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:50 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”