What types of spin offs are you looking for?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
TheMasterDS

What types of spin offs are you looking for?

Postby TheMasterDS » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:38 am

One of the most exciting things to me is that PlayTonic is looking to build a shared universe where any random NPC could have a story worth telling in his own game. While obviously Rare has done this before with Diddy Kong Racing where they introduced Banjo, Conker and even Tricky The Triceratops to the world before they each appeared in their own game (Tricky's was a Star Fox game tying Star Fox in) but now they're saying they're looking to do it not with characters most of whom are already playable in a kart racer. They're looking to do it for NPCs. It's as if they've said "Yes. We're willing to make Better Call Bloatazin once our Bird and Snake (I'm betting Snake) duo are dead." I don't know about you, but I want to play Better Call Bloatazin. Who wouldn't?

(Concept art created by Scraps69)

Anyway, so. We'll be getting a lot of NPCs in this game and everyone is, evidently, potential spin off material based around how we like them and what opportunities they present from a design perspective. What sort of NPCs are you looking for and what sort of games do you want to see? I'll list 3.

Platformer: Very DKC inspired platformer. I'd look for a thief or a roguishish character for it. Somewhere between Nathan Drake and that Sly character whatever he is. I picture a lady fox named Fox McClure. I imagine he can Dive Kick in the style of the characters of the eponymous game Dive Kick. Could be robbing tombs, could be robbing folk, could be a bit of both. Also could be some Rocket Raccoon in there.

Narrative Driven Fighting Game: I just recently saw Rocky. I would like a character who's a professional fighter who either never made it or made it big long ago. Their game would be them making it. I'd imagine it like Punch Outs meets Rocky. Maybe it's set in Brooklyn. Anyway I'd imagine it'd be quite bizarre. It'd be mostly training, plot and city life. Like Persona meets Punch Out. At the end of the game you fight Apollo Seed. Oh, also all the characters are Acorn People. Did I mention that?

Metroidvania: Rare never did a Metroidvania, Metroidvanias are great. Maybe they could make it work. Dunno if it'd be their thing since Metroidvanias have usually been pretty light on story but I think they could manage it. Maybe it'd be rich in Left 4 Dead type story telling. All in the small details of the world. Metroid Prime, a favorite among the PlayTonic staff, also did that sort of thing quite well. Maybe could take after that. I imagine the hero would be a Turtle.

Those are my three ideas. What have you got?

Scraps69

Re: What types of spin offs are you looking for?

Postby Scraps69 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:44 am

Don't forget to sign the petition for Bloatazin to star in his own series lads!

https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-laun ... -bloatazin

TheMasterDS

Postby TheMasterDS » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:00 am

Oh yes, of course. Once PlayTonic starts spinning off NPCs making games like "Rocknut I" Rare will start feeling the pressure, start doing it as well. Once that happens Bloatazin will get his. Help that along if you're a fan of PlayTonic.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:02 am

I would love an action RPG with these kinds of characters. I don't think it's ever been done before.

Lazicful

Postby Lazicful » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:42 pm

Possibly a dating simulator.
Sorry, but the eyes on the protagonist. <3 SO cute!
My favorite line from V from Vendetta is: "Behind this mask there's not just flesh and bones and brains, but there's also another bulletproof mask, and bulletproof masks are bulletproof."

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Spin-offs? I'm not sure I want any. I do, however, want brand new games in their own right from Playtonic. Just because the protagonist(s) of their second game may be someone we have already seen in Ukulele doesn't make it a spin-off.

I really want a kart racer. Mario Kart 8 has kept me entertained for ages -- it's fun and will make use of Playtonic's inter-connecting universe wish as there will be tons of playable characters.
Taylonic Ltd.

TheMasterDS

Postby TheMasterDS » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:28 pm

Actually you're wrong. A game where an existing character becomes a star in their own piece is very much as spin off as much as Fraiser is. Honestly even a game where the existing character is a minor character (e.g. Agent Coulson) arguably confers spin off status. Any game PlayTonic makes which draws upon their existing shared universe is, in a way, a spin off.

And what's more Playtonic has confirmed that this is their intention. There will be a Donkey Kong/Banjo/Conker or Iron Man/Thor/Captain America type shared universe between their games. Just like in the good old days.

NiloStudo

Postby NiloStudo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:38 pm

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:40 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

TheMasterDS

Postby TheMasterDS » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:09 pm

Is Frasier less than Cheers? Is Banjo less than DK? Being a spin off doesn't mean you're less than what you spun off of.

(An argument can however be made that the MCU does not use spin offs since all the heroes have existed independently for ages.)

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:42 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Chruxl

Postby Chruxl » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:11 am

The beauty of crazy nerds owning their own company is that whatever they do, it will be brilliant. Rare was good at most of what they did in the day. Kart racing, 3-D Platforming, FPS, etc.

As far as what I want... I think it would be neat to play a funny FPS. Something like ultimate paintball with four or five of the Project Ukelele characters. The story could involve a crazed paintball maniac. Sort of like Barney Stinson and Dwight Schrute on steroids.

Also, I think Playtonic could pull off a puzzler pretty well. In the vein of Portal and old Legend of Zelda games, perhaps.

And of course, the fun kart racer.

I'm really excited about Playtonic and can't wait to see what Project Ukelele is going to be. Because of course the opener to their franchise is the 3-D Platformer I've been missing in life.

TheMasterDS

Re: What types of spin offs are you looking for mate?

Postby TheMasterDS » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:20 pm

Chrysalis_Blossom

Postby Chrysalis_Blossom » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:35 pm

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:01 am

I don't really want any I prefer sequels to spinoffs. I wouldn't finish Banjo-Kazooie and want Blubbers Wave Racing next I'd want Banjo-Tooie. I would finish Banjo-Tooie and want Tiptups Nuts n Bolts next, I'd want Banjo-Threeie :evil: :x

If project Ukulele is brilliant I'd want more of the same.

MFWolfe

Postby MFWolfe » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:57 am

I'm glad that this is even a conversation. The options are pretty limitless.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:47 am

Taylonic Ltd.

MFWolfe

Postby MFWolfe » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:28 am

After a good amount of micro-franchises emerging out of the Playtonic universe, I'd love to see a story-heavy RPG or 3D platforming game starring the leads from all the previous games.

It seems appropriate that a similar system to the Marvel Cinematic Universe would use a similar release/crossover schedule.

polomi

Postby polomi » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:32 pm

I want a FPS or TPS, online multiplayer. Something like the multiplayer mode of DK 64 in the Ukulele universe. I'd play this over TF2 as my go to fun shooter.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”