Genders have NOT been revealed

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
dotEXE

Genders have NOT been revealed

Postby dotEXE » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:53 pm

https://twitter.com/espio1/status/593824142979379200

So we'll see tomorrow! I'm actually expecting Yooka is a girl and the IGN article was using "he/his" casually/accidentally.

Or maybe they both identify as Attack Helicopterkin.
Make the forum great again.

Scrubber

Re: Genders have NOT been revealed

Postby Scrubber » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:01 pm

Surely laylee can't be a boys name?

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:01 pm

I'd seriously be surprised if the bat is female and the chameleon is male. The chameleon's face is extremely feminine. And the bat, well, they usually don't give females big noses.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:06 pm

Maybe his full name is Laylee, but they call him Lee most of the time or something? I mean, I'm fine with Laylee being a male's name too. Yooka doesn't sound particularly male either; maybe Scandanavian or something? I dunno.

I think Yooka is the girl if either are. Or both I guess.
But I'd want one of each.
Make the forum great again.

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:41 pm

The lizard doesn't have any defining sexual characteristics, but I do suspect that it will be female and that the bat will be male. Like a previous poster mentioned, the big nose on the bat is a feature more typically associated with male characters. After first seeing the characters for the first time, I thought their genders might just be left to each player's imagination, but the Twitter post suggests otherwise.

Kokirie

Postby Kokirie » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:02 pm

I'm fine with either being the male or female, although I think the softer face/expression on Yooka makes it look a bit more feminine. Laylee sounds like a very feminine name to me though, so I'm not sure. Maybe they'll both be genderless? I'll just be happy as long as they're not both males, not that it would completely ruin the game for me or anything.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:51 pm

I'm still not bothered.

That said, I really hope is doesn't escalate into something negative.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:59 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:30 pm

Laylee is a name, so it will be a bit odd that Playtonic will choose the bat gender to be male. Though it's not unheard of that people have male/female names despite their opposite genders. Now Yooka is very feminine, but that says nothing about its gender. As Yuga from A Link Between Worlds, or Ghirahim from Skyward Sword are fine examples of that.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:38 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:29 pm

Leslie Nielsen

Lindsey Buckingham

TheMasterDS

Postby TheMasterDS » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:58 pm

They wouldn't be coy about it if both were men! That'd be something to quietly get out of the way since it'd be a step back from the male/female duo of Banjo and Kazooie! They'd also not make a big deal of it if they were just making another male/female duo! Again, that's the status quo!

I think it's pretty clear they're BOTH ladies! Their names are feminine! They're cute characters! Plus the climate is such that a female duo is a big deal that'll get it more attention than a male/female duo or (god forbid) two dudes. It makes business sense and character sense! It's gotta be the case!

Dracul JOSHI

Postby Dracul JOSHI » Fri May 01, 2015 1:37 am

TheMasterDS

Postby TheMasterDS » Fri May 01, 2015 4:38 am

There's plenty of male/male duos everywhere in gaming. Hell, most of the other Duo 3D Platforming series star two dudes. Those being Jack & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank. Can you name a single Female/Female 3D Platforming duo? It's unheard of! Games don't exist in vacuums. A game with a female duo would help balance the scales and thus be a super fair and progressive while the opposite would be less progressive than a game from 17 years ago. Not only would it be less progressive, but it'd be an entirely underwhelming reveal.

Status Quo is okay. Worked then, work now. I don't know if that's really exciting enough to hold for a reveal though. I feel like the only thing big enough for a reveal would be female duo. I can see them pitching "Hey we switched their genders!" as the thing but I think that's not really enough since we've been guessing Yooka would be female and Laylee would be male for months. Even that's not really out of left field.

Helioptile

Postby Helioptile » Fri May 01, 2015 6:29 am

Laylee sounds more like a girl sort of name, but I do hope Yooka's the girl and Laylee's the boy - we need more opposite things of Banjo-Kazooie up in this crib, daowg! :D
Bring on Yooka-Laylee! :D

The Hype Train begins May 1st. ;)

Arvixe

Postby Arvixe » Fri May 01, 2015 8:00 am

I was thinking Laylee might be some kind of hermaphrodite/genderfluid lizard - which would be a nice tweak of the nose to the political landscape of gender identity in video games, while also being a legitimate, sincere expression of it, no malice. It'd be too perfect.

polomi

Postby polomi » Fri May 01, 2015 8:07 am

Why the hell do you want to make this a political issue? I don't give a damn about their genders as far as I am concerned haha.

III H1TMaN III

Postby III H1TMaN III » Fri May 01, 2015 8:14 am

I don't really mind what their genders will be. I just see Yooka as a female and Laylee as a male. If it turns out different then, alright. :p

I never even figured out that Kazooie was a female while playing the game. xD
Hey there fellow reader! I suppose I gained your interest somehow? It's nice having someone reading me. It feels so.. ticklish I should say. Thanks for that!

Arvixe

Postby Arvixe » Fri May 01, 2015 8:28 am

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Fri May 01, 2015 2:35 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”