How big do you want the worlds to be???

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Super TNNtendoU!!!

How big do you want the worlds to be???

Postby Super TNNtendoU!!! » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:54 am

As big as those in Tooie in DK64? Or more the size of Banjo-Kazooie? Or more like big and open like Nutty Acres in Nuts and Bolts but with Warp Pads? I'd like big open worlds, where the borders can be seen with no pop up from any direction!

Jellyfunk

Re: How big do you want the worlds to be???

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:59 am

As big as they need to be. The only thing I don't want to see are artificial boundaries.
Last edited by Jellyfunk on Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:01 am

I'd say a big world, but instead have like islands or stuff and have ferries to get to other places or something or just flying with kazooie (just a placeholder until the actual name). But mostly not just some vast flatland. Rare is pretty good of finding a balance between level design so I entrust they will know what to do.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:01 am

Nuts and Bolts felt so barren and pointless, that it would take a lot more than warp pads to make those fun.

I'm on the side that thinks Tooie stretched it out a bit too much. Everyone wants to pump out skyrim sized worlds nowadays, but there's nothing wrong with pulling the camera in real close for those intimate cave moments. Plus, you can use the power to make those small spaces that much more gorgeous.

I want it bigger in the sense that you take a world as big as those in Kazooie, but you make them more dense, with secrets within secrets and more challenges to do.

TheMasterDS

Postby TheMasterDS » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:03 am

Actually we already sort of have an idea based on how they described it in the panel. Worlds will start one way and you'll use your collectibles to expand them. In a way I imagine this'll be a fantastic compromise between Kazooie and Tooie. Worlds that start out Kazooie sized which grow to become Tooie sized. Anyone who's early in making a Collectathon should probably steal that idea soon as they can, it's brilliant.

Super TNNtendoU!!!

Postby Super TNNtendoU!!! » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:11 am

I think that's a GRRRReat idea Too-ie! lol This idea could be made more interesting by colr coding the ground of the new area or making it sparklein the distance as a huge beacon! As soon as you reach the new expanded land the sparkle is gone and you begin exploring that new area!

Maybe a big flagpole or monument to mark the new area? Since we are collecting "Pagies" how about a giant glowng bookmark that we can use magic to move around the world so we can keep track of where we are and not get lost?

Have each world be a book! But the golden (maybe) "Pagies" well many of them have been torn out and you have to find them to fill each book world in order to expand it!!!

dyarch

Postby dyarch » Sun May 03, 2015 3:39 am

Usually learning new abilities would give you access to more of the level. Would collectables expand it in a similar way?

weebbby

Postby weebbby » Sun May 03, 2015 1:10 pm

Kazooie size worlds.
That expand two-four times each. Each expansion is half the size of original world.
In this way, hopefully there isn't backtracking between original and expansion, and more size is still there for a better length of the game.
Last edited by weebbby on Sun May 03, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diskhat

Postby diskhat » Sun May 03, 2015 1:20 pm

As big as they're willing to build 'em. Levels that are too big just become a chore to run to and from everything, hopefully Playtonic can strike the right kind of balance with this one.

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Sun May 03, 2015 2:02 pm

Banjo-Kazooie size. Big enough to have secrets, small enough to be densely packed with content.

EarthBound

Postby EarthBound » Sun May 03, 2015 2:33 pm

I found Kazooie size too small. I'd love Tooie size.

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Sun May 03, 2015 2:36 pm

I want Banjo Kazooie sized worlds -- big enough to explore but not so big it becomes a chore.

Shelaylee

Postby Shelaylee » Sun May 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Big, but densely-packed. Lots of nooks and crannies to explore, everything has its place, etc.

croissant

Postby croissant » Mon May 04, 2015 12:53 am

Simion32

Postby Simion32 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:19 am

Tooie-sized worlds without the expansions, and the expansions adding sizable chunks to the levels.

We're talking a modern game here, so I'd expect to see very large levels. Definitely not N&B scale, but starting at Tooie's size and growing would provide plenty of room for interesting things to do in the level. The "main chunk" should be as densely packed and interesting as its expansions provide.

In particular, I feel that the expansions should not make it feel as if the "main chunk" of the level is small compared to the whole. Maybe more like 60% main chunk with Pagie expansions pushing the boundaries to 70%, 80%, 90%, 100%, 110%.... etc (expansions should feel like you are getting really deep into the level, with that ever so elusive sense of exploration).

BK_Fanatic

Postby BK_Fanatic » Mon May 04, 2015 5:47 am

As they explained in the panel I love the idea of the levels changing as you collect 'pagies'.

With that said, it would be interesting to use the aspect of water as they did with both Banjo games. From flooding certain areas in Grunty's lair to making Jolly Roger's Lagoon actually swim-able or changing seasons in Click Click Wood.

An interesting part about the old games which I hope they keep is the change in scales. For example: The skull of Mumbo's home or Nippers shell is quite small when viewed from the outside but once you enter it is actually much larger and more spacious than the outside world perceives it. I would love to see them play with that feature a lot in Yooka-Laylee.

Overall I would love LARGE worlds... Not in the sense of large open spaces that a tedious to travel but in the sense of exploration. I love the feeling of accomplishment when I successfully climb the tree in Click Clock Wood.

I think teleporting into a new map or using something similar to the train system in Banjo Tooie worked quite well. I just want them to stay away from any and all potential vehicles (Nuts & Bolts). I am fine with foot races, swimming races, and sledding for collectables such as in other games.

What are your guys' thoughts on what I've suggested?

mfgreth

Postby mfgreth » Mon May 04, 2015 6:20 pm

I want worlds that approximate my appetite. Big enough to the point I'm satisfied.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon May 04, 2015 6:28 pm

Some of you guys are quite vague.

Let's assume that they won't do just 5 levels as the kickstarter said, just because of the massive success. Let's assume 10 levels instead.

I want each level to be Banjo-Kazooie sized in scale, perhaps with 5 pagies to collect there. 50 pagies necessary to fight the final boss. 10 pagies in the overworld; 4 pagies hidden between two expandable areas per world. Both expansions together would have the same size of the world as those unexpanded - that is, you can double the size of the world through expansions.

So, without having played Tooie, that sounds like I'd like the unexpanded world to be Banjo sized and the expanded world Tooie size.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

mfgreth

Postby mfgreth » Mon May 04, 2015 6:35 pm

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon May 04, 2015 6:39 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”