Speculation on the new "Gruntilda?"

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
DreaminErryDay

Speculation on the new "Gruntilda?"

Postby DreaminErryDay » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:05 am

This is something I've been wondering for awhile, and I'm sure a few others have been as well.

Based on rumors and what little we know, the game is starring a chameleon/lizard protagonist with a partner character that could either be a bird or something else. So for the Bear and Bird, their main adversary was a Witch. What sort of character would be the "witch" to our new chameleon and bird(?) friends?

I'm thinking they could be some sort of artist or writer that has witch like abilities. If we're collecting pages as the new "jiggies," it sounds like the whole game could take place inside a storybook. Maybe our heroes got transported there, or they lived there all along?

The possibilities are exciting, I'm probably way off but it's fun to speculate. I also wonder if our new antagonist will rhyme?

What do you guys think?

Jellyfunk

Re: Speculation on the new "Gruntilda?"

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:08 am

Your guess as good as mine. That's what exciting about this genre. The villain is unpredictable. With realistic games you have your choice of terrorists, demons, pychopaths, druglords, etc.

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:39 pm

In their Rezzed debut, Playtonic confirmed that along with having different characters be the Heroes for different games in their universe, so too would the 'Villains' be different. It sounds like they're trying to make a realistic series of situations, whereby characters moralities are fluid depending on who they interact with. I imagine there will be one overarching villain, at least for the first game, but other situations depend on the other characters - perhaps a group of Good and a group of Bad, with different 'Villains' holding the power depending on the game, or perhaps a completely fluid morality where, say, a Beaver is the enemy of an Otter in one game, and in another the Otter is the enemy of a jungle cat - we'll just have to wait and see. From the silhouettes shown at their Rezzed debut, they appear to be including animal and human characters, perhaps also robotic or humanoid creatures. Very eager to see what their minds come up with!
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:41 pm

Considering Playtonic started as Mingy Jongo, I keep thinking the villain will be some sort of shaman in disguise. A mysterious, shadowy figure that doesn't reveal his true self until the very end in a shocking twist.
Taylonic Ltd.

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:01 pm

Not another Dr. Crash Bandicoot has a Dr. Villain. There's Dr. Eggman. Dr. Conker's Bad Fur Day Villain Kriplesac. Just come up with something new that isn't Dr. The video game franchise has enough of these people and needs more of a different type of villain.

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:02 pm

i just hope for the build up that grunty gave us in banjo kazooie constantly mocking us the whole way through! :twisted:

GildasMagnus

Postby GildasMagnus » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:04 pm

Perhaps the first villain will be the person helping you all along? Imagine if Bottles, or Cranky Kong had been the real villain, for some ridiculous, comical reasoning. I'd be happy with either a clear-cut, Black & White morals villain, or a character who completely betrays you out of the blue - you can be sure they'll implement it well either way. If they do have a defined, obvious villain, they're sure to make you hate them one way or another. A Female villain would be nice.
Came to save my sister, stayed for the quiz show.

FungiGamer

Postby FungiGamer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:22 am

Considering the tropical feel of the artwork so far, I think it would be pretty cool if Playtonic made a nod to the old "Project Dream" and had the villain of the game be a Pirate in the same vain as Captain Blackeye or even a return to the Giant idea they had early in Banjo Kazooie's development.

Super TNNtendoU!!!

Postby Super TNNtendoU!!! » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:28 am

Spellda T. Bookingham: Librarian witch who is the evil sister of the Queen of Bookingham Palace. Spellda takes it over, captures Queen Fran C. Pance, and rips the golden Pagies out of the Book Worlds in tne Pala e! She then begins piecing them together to create her own plagiarized Book World: The Legend of Spellda!

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:40 am

Taylonic Ltd.

John

Postby John » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:42 am

I hope it's Keith!
Rarewareusedtobegood

Super TNNtendoU!!!

Postby Super TNNtendoU!!! » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:46 am

Laughing about the Keith thing lol. Well Taylonic :D I wanted to make a name that fits a combo of a witch and a librarian. Since this is a British company, I decided to use Buckingham and change it to Bookingham. Thanks a lot for the kind words!

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:55 am

Banjo Kazooie had a fairytale theme to it. Banjo coming from Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Grunty coming from Hansel and Gretel.

So the heroes in Ukulele have to somehow indirectly relate to the villain themewise.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:09 am

Taylonic Ltd.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:14 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:29 am

Super TNNtendoU!!!'s librarian witch idea is actually really good. It makes sense. Spellda isn't actually a bad name either, considering 'spell' could mean both a witch's spell and the way you spell words.

But I do still find names such as Fran C. Pance to be a bit too cheesy :P, despite being very clever.
Taylonic Ltd.

Super TNNtendoU!!!

Postby Super TNNtendoU!!! » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:42 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”